3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Pre-Delivery Inspection...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Pre-Delivery Inspection...

I'm going to pick up the 2004.5 on Friday!

I called the dealer today to remind them that, among other things, the truck shouldn't have many miles on it. They then told me that they have to do a pre delivery inspection before I pick it up. This includes driving it. Do they just want a free joy ride in my truck or is this legitimate? If it is, how many miles should this inspection put on the truck? Don't worry about giving me bad news, I can take it. But can my dealer? Thanks
Old 03-31-2004, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine had 9 miles on it when delivered - I consider this normal.

Jim
Old 03-31-2004, 10:50 PM

The first thing they do is see if the anti spin works by smoking the tires in the back parking lot, that takes up .2 miles. Then they do the rev limiter test, put it to the floor to make sure it does not go to far into redline before the computer cuts the fuel, no miles put on during that test. Next they take it out to lunch valet park it, the valet can speak English so they trust him! It comes back with 78 miles on it, the valet has a smile on his face he will not accept a tip, truck is still running. The guys from the dealer drive it in reverse for 70 miles @ 3400 rpm, because your gonna be their for pick up in a few hours. Do one last rockford in the back parking lot to test the steering, truck now has 8 easy miles on it! Passed inspection!
Just kidding! I was also worried about my truck, was the first 600 ariving at the selling dealer. It had 9 miles when I picked it up. I asked the salesman to hide the key. Truck was perfect!
bish
Old 03-31-2004, 11:08 PM

That's not funny bish!

Actually it was really funny! LOL!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:02 AM

Look at it this way.

If you picked the truck up, and it had some really bad problem. You would be ****** off. Right?

But if they can't drive it they can't check it out. So the PDI drive is OK. When I worked as a porter, only the mechanic did that drive.

What I'd worry about more would be the sales staff using your truck as a demo. And a good conversation with the salesperson should clear that up.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:53 PM

Re: Pre-Delivery Inspection...

Originally posted by HighTen
I'm going to pick up the 2004.5 on Friday!

I called the dealer today to remind them that, among other things, the truck shouldn't have many miles on it. They then told me that they have to do a pre delivery inspection before I pick it up. This includes driving it. Do they just want a free joy ride in my truck or is this legitimate? If it is, how many miles should this inspection put on the truck? Don't worry about giving me bad news, I can take it. But can my dealer? Thanks
Ya know, all they do at the dealer is drive cars and trucks all day long. Do you really think that there is something special or unique about your truck?

I can see it now, everyone standing outside when your truck arrives. THe truck driver unloads it and takes it for a spin around town, because this is THE truck. THen all the mechanics do some burn outs and take it for a cruise. THen all the sales people and all the office people. After all, this is THE TRUCK!!!!

Come on get real. It will have 4 to 10 miles on it. They couldn't care less about taking your truck for a joy ride. You'd be pretty peeved off if you pick it up and the AC doesn't work, or there is grease on the upholstery because they did not do PDI.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:02 PM
JWH

Originally posted by bish777

Just kidding! I was also worried about my truck, was the first 600 ariving at the selling dealer. It had 9 miles when I picked it up. I asked the salesman to hide the key. Truck was perfect!
bish

After all how far can they get on 10 gals of free diesel??

Old 04-01-2004, 06:34 PM

Mine had 10 miles and I'm glad they drove it to check to make sure every thing was up to par. I was one happy camper. I have 2800 miles and not a single problem yet.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:16 PM

They actually get about 2 or 3 miles on them before they get to the dealer. By the time they are driven off the line to the holding area. Then driven to and from the rail head and driven onto a truck. They accumulate a few. Then the dealer wil put one or two on each.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:13 AM

The busy dealers are actually hard pushed TO DRIVE them for Pdi and after repairs.I've had techs who referred to autos/trucks as this and that unit.We serviced 80 plus a day and test drove lots of them(had too,suppose too)and caught lots of problems on test drives.Only when the once in a while VIPER came in did we kinda fight for a key and usually the dealer owner had it in HIS pocket with a grin!
Old 04-02-2004, 04:34 PM

When I found out mine was at the dealership, Insight was right go figure, I called and told them I was on my way. When I got there the truck only had 3 miles on it, fresh off the turnip truck. I guess they only had time to wash it for me. I worked a deal with the saleman to take the truck for overnight on dealer plates and come back the next morning to sign the paperwork. Took it home and crawled all over it. I'm probably more critical than most salesmen or mechanics so it made sense for me to play with it and check it out.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:09 PM

My truck had been sitting on the lot for 7 months and had 2...I repeat 2 miles on it when I took the key. I guess that means I got no PDI, which would explain the new rear end from lack of fluid at 400 miles. Yeah, I'd let'm do the PDI. Heck, I would insist on it.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:11 AM

Mine also had 10 miles on it when I picked it up. That seems about the norm. One thing I would recommend to all is to make sure you have plenty of room to do a walk around to make sure all is well with the paint, etc. When I pulled on to the lot to pick mine up it was right in front of the show room with cars parked on both sides. I did the walk around and noticed a quarter to fifty cent piece sized dent and scratch on the rear painted bumper. The dealer wanted to have it repainted and have me come back next week to pick it up. They did offer me a loaner. I refused and insisted they replace the bumper from another truck on the lot that was the same color. After some discussion between all of the departments they agreed to do so. I would have to return the next day to pick it up. It was too late to get it changed. Luckily my brother lives near by and I spent the night there. I live appx. 165 miles away. Picked up the next morning and all was well so I thought. I stopped back at my brother's place to show him the new rig. When the sun hit the truck just right and you stood back 8-10 feet you could see a 10"x 20" rectangular area on the upper bedside with a lighter shade of graphite metallic complete with buffer marks. Just great! It was January at the time and I figured I would try to wax it out myself when the weather broke. I called my salesperson and informed her of the paint problem and told her to document it. I had an over the rail Rhino liner installed two weeks later. Come Spring I tried to wax the spot out but no luck. The different paint color is under the clearcoat. I called my dealer and they told me to take it to any local dealer and they could take care of it. I did so and the service tech looked at it and told me he was color blind and couldn't see it and for me to take it to my selling dealer. In other words they didn't want to get involved. I called my selling dealer and they told me to take it to a body shop and get an estimate. The body shop estimater had no problem seeing the spot and said it was something that definitely occured at the factory and should have never got by the quality inspectors. The estimate was $675.00 to remove the over the rail part of the bedliner, repaint the entire bedside and have the over the rail part of the bedliner reinstalled. $275.00 was for the bedliner work. I called my selling dealer service manager and informed him of the estimate. He told me I would have to make the 330 mile round trip for him to see it and that no way would DC pay for the bedliner part of the repair. I called and e-mailed DC customer service. Their reply was more or less sorry about your luck but we will not cover the bedliner part of the repair. I am sick and tired of having to argue to have this kind of problem taken care of and decided to just live with it. I called and e-mailed my salesperson and informed her of my decision not to have the bed side repainted. She said when I traded it in on my next one she would not let this issue be a problem. She is now no longer with this dealership. Part of my decision was also because the bedliner installer said he probably would not be able to make it match the exact color and texture. The moral of this story is to inspect your vehicle up close and from a distance in good lighting conditions. Not with vehicles parked closely on both sides and on an overcast day as it was when I inspected mine. Sorry for such a long post, but If this helps even one person in the future I feel it is worth it.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:54 AM

I would have INSISTED on meeting with the FACTORY REP at a dealer of YOUR CHOICE.He could have approved it or not then and there! the warranty is through entire D.C.network of dealers.All the manufactures are paying for add on stuff.G.M pays for BURNT COATS due to heated seats burning stuff off etc.Customer service DOES NOT MAKE FINAL DECISION.Factory Rep does.Customer NO SERVICE is mainly NON MECHANICAL people anyway.They have no scope to field problems.I would be damned to pay it out of MY pocket.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:02 AM

As a foot note.There are LEGAL ramifications to a PDI not being done.NO auto/truck can even be test driven on public roads even by dealership employees without PDI being done first.Air psi in tires/wheel torque etc.To sell and hand one to the general public without a PDI and a accident occurs could be a HUGE liability as a well as other consequences.

Quick Reply: Pre-Delivery Inspection...