3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Power steering not working while sitting still

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power steering not working while sitting still

I recently started having a problem where if i am sitting still while running i cannot cut my wheel at all. Barely moves feel like no power assistance. It was making it really hard to back up a trailer. Then a couple days ago i put my new plow setup on with it on i cannot turn the wheel what so ever while sitting still. I brought it dodge and they said my pump pressure is fine and its because i have a 12.5 tire on......b.s. . I didn't have this problem this summer with my 20's that have 35x13.5 tires on them. I am wondering if any of you guys have the same problem. I am still having a problem turning the wheel and they said to bring it back if it gets worse.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to lifted truck syndrome. you put extra weight with the plow. it is normal. Mine does it too with 39.5" tires, did it when I had the 37's on too.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:16 PM

My 97 ram 2500 gasser didn't have this problem last year and had 33x11.5 on it same plow too
Old 11-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I know it is a bit frustrating but it is the nature of the beast. The steering system is not the greatest, People are installing cross members (such as the SSSSS and many others) to tie the steering up and prevent flex. Once you rev it up just a bit or start to move, you don't have the issue?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering systems were TRULY designed with the theory of 'assisted/boosted' power in mind. Years ago I read an article that discussed how to properly USE that assistance vrs how people actually drive/use steering.

Most engineers will tell you that 'cold' turning use will cut the life of your power steering pump in half. The system was designed to assist steering not provide steering, and designed to provide the best function as the wheels roll/turn.

Weight of our engines/front ends puts the system in negatives, more weight from accessories like heavy steel bumpers and snow plows increases the negatives even more. Larger diameter tires actually are not as great an issue, as is the TREAD - it's resistance becomes the greater issue, wider tires add more resistance, increases the issue even more. Lifting suspension over a couple inches creates even bigger issues as it changes load dynamics, again increasing resistance.

Years ago, people at hydraulic shops could build your system up to meet your needs - better pump and hydraulic boost changes. I would imagine that would still be an area to look into, but you also need a better steering box as well. and I'm sure beefing up the gearbox is possible as well.

Most are adding a steering box stabalizer, Defiant Truck Products manufactures one, so do others. It is an excellent preventative measure, but you would have to actually get your steering fixed first to realize the benefit that the support would give to increasing the longevity of the steering box that is flexing and being damaged. Also, cold turning habit changes need to be considered as part of this as well. Getting a little roll started and then turning the steering does go a long way in helping the steering assist work more as designed.

CD
Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Mine did the same thing with the Western on the front of it.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
db

My 04' has done it w/stock tires since new.
I thought it was a normal result from the higher steering ratio on the newer trucks. Sounds like mine might be weaker than most also.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:28 PM

I think they need to build a better pump and box it sounds like. I do have a ssi steering brace but i guess its not helping with that.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:25 PM

I agree somewhat... But most guys with a problem here have a lift, Bigger than stock tires, and a plow. Truck wasn't designed for that.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by itr.#1446
I recently started having a problem where if i am sitting still while running i cannot cut my wheel at all. Barely moves feel like no power assistance. It was making it really hard to back up a trailer. Then a couple days ago i put my new plow setup on with it on i cannot turn the wheel what so ever while sitting still. I brought it dodge and they said my pump pressure is fine and its because i have a 12.5 tire on......b.s. . I didn't have this problem this summer with my 20's that have 35x13.5 tires on them. I am wondering if any of you guys have the same problem. I am still having a problem turning the wheel and they said to bring it back if it gets worse.
What size and brand of plow are you running?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:22 AM

Do you still have those big tires and wheels on too?

You need to put some weight in your bed to offset all that weight (i.e., plow and Cummins) that is on the front of your truck...
Old 11-16-2008, 02:04 PM

no i have my stockers on with 315/75 bfg a/t's. I was thinking of getting a fuel transfer tank would that help with weight in the bed?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:17 PM

Any weight will help, but I think you are going to want it over the rear axle and towards the tailgate, will help the most...
Old 11-16-2008, 03:16 PM

Plus those BFG's you have are still too wide and only D rated...

That's not helping your cause.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 PM

on my chevy i have a big block in it, with 17inch lift and 44" tires. Had the same problem you do until i installed an AGR pump and box. Now I can turn the wheel while sitting still with 1 finger.....maybe AGR has a pump/box combo for our trucks? You can always add a ram to help assist as well.

Quick Reply: Power steering not working while sitting still