3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Possibility of 4 full doors in 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello All,

New guy here but this looks like a good time to join in.

To me, the Dodge Quad cab competes with the Ford Supercab and the Chevy Extended cab. It does not compare well with the others "crew" cabs.

That said, it is perfect for me. The back seat is small but it is at least as comfortable, with just as much leg room as the extended cabs it competes with. As a bonus, it has four real doors! Sure more room is nice, but this truck is already as long as I would want for my use.

I think Dodge needs three cabs just like Ford and Chevy: Regular, Quad (extended, supercab), and Crew (four full size doors). Hopefully they will add a real crew cab without dropping the current Quad cab.

Everyone has different wants/needs.

FB
Old 04-30-2004, 05:15 PM

CQ, it's true they were just a blip during the musclecar era. I wasn't attacking you - I'd just like to see the domestic makers quit leaving obvious places for the Japanese to jump into the market. The half-ton market was exclusively U.S. built iron a few short years ago, but Toyota showed that they could compete there - even if their engine IS too wimpy for a real hauler. I gotta admit, though, that their build quality - especially interiors - puts many domestic products on the trailer. I don't have to like it.

Re laughing at the little roller skates - My FIRST car was an AAR Cuda (my Dad cosigned, I sort of blurred the truth on the carburetion - told him "two barrel" but not how many...)! I laughed at those little Honda 600s. But when the first Civics came out, the writing was on the wall. I had a girlfriend with an early Civic (74) and I was immediately impressed by the space utilization and attention to little details.

I'm sort of torn on the crew vs quad cab thing - I'm buying a Ram because I can no longer shoehorn a growing 10 year old into my CC Dakota back seat. The Dakota tows my 22 footer to campsites just fine. Since I'm going to a full-size, I'm buying a Cummins, but if a short bed crew cab was offered by Dodge, I'd give it a look. The back seat in the quads isn't exactly luxurious even for kids - thigh support and seatback angle need work IMO. OTOH, I really don't want to ring down to steering ("Hard a-starboard!") when I take my truck around a corner. If the wheelbase on a crew is substantially more than the quad, it might be a real pig for everyday driving.

Isn't it great to have all of these options, though? Despite the price of fuel, we are in another golden age for vehicles.

Jim
Old 05-03-2004, 03:40 PM

mopar jim. i saw a nissan up close you could see pavment through the bed . and a ford 150 , dash and inside a chey ifs . they stole all the ford and chey ideas . the salsman was talking **** about the hemi and how they out pulled it so i asked if they hooked bumper to bumper and he said no . i told him my cousin had one that he would hook up but he would not do it . chicken **** when they do a truck test they should hook them up find out for shure who is the best and who breaks
Old 05-03-2004, 05:36 PM

Club cab, 4 doors, sb, lb - We all buy what we individually need. I have a '96 club and had to order a 2004.5 4 door rather than no rear seats.

All I need is a place for me and the MRS to sit and some space for a dog and some baggage. So the one I have ordered suits ME. Of course it needs to haul a 37ft 5th wheel - hence the CTD

My wife drives a '98 Toyota car, loves it and would not think of upgradding or changing because it meets our needs. If Toyota or Nissian decide to tackle the large pickup market, they will learn over time just like everyone. But, it will take time and they may even build them in the US rather than Mexico....

Cheers