3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Possibility of 4 full doors in 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibility of 4 full doors in 2005?

My dealer told me I could wait until July to order a 04.5. Guess he's wrong as usual .

Since I have 2005 to look forward to, are we gonna see 4 full doors as an option?
Old 04-28-2004, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 4 Big Doors

I have heard of this too but only as a rumor. It does seem like a logical move for Dodge though.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:05 PM

4 full doors? The possibility exists that you may see a large slider like on mini vans in the near future. There was a thread last year that posted a url where DC applied for a patent on the slider for trucks.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:12 PM

Focus groups have been shown 3rd gen full crew cabs. I chanced to see two different crew cab configurations over a year ago when the new Dakotas were also previewed. One had a truly lengthy cab, a bit awkward looking, but with substantial space aft of the rear door opening (apparently to allow a more relaxed seatback angle or possibly even mild recline or storage behind the second row). I was unable to get close enough for a detailed look as I was being ushered through the area pretty quickly to look at the new Dakotas. Looked like it would require a third wheelbase be added to the lineup - it wasn't a supershort bed, and I don't think the current LWB could accomodate the 6.5 foot bed and the very long cab I saw. The other looked like a design to allow the current LWB to be used, with a shorter cab without the space behind the rear seats. So they have at least been looking at the possibility for some time...

Jim
Old 04-28-2004, 01:56 PM

FWIW, I talked to a Dodge rep at the car show when it was in town. He said there would be a new Crew Cab but it would not be out in 2005. Probably 06 or 07.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:24 PM

What's wrong with the current size doors? Have no problem with 5 adults in my truck. I wouldn't want to drive across country sitting in the back but a 1 hour trip is no problem. The current doors allow ample room and still have room for a decent sized bed on a short wheel base.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by bwuest
What's wrong with the current size doors? Have no problem with 5 adults in my truck. I wouldn't want to drive across country sitting in the back but a 1 hour trip is no problem. The current doors allow ample room and still have room for a decent sized bed on a short wheel base.

I agree. Fits in the garage too.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:33 PM

I'd like to see them offer 3 body styles. The crew cab, as in the 2nd gen trucks, the current four door and a full size four door.

I wouldn't have the full size four doors, like Ford makes. Too long. But a lot of guys would.

My personal tastes would lean towards the old extended cab. THats a perfect fit for me.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:15 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mymaur
I'd like to see them offer 3 body styles. The crew cab, as in the 2nd gen trucks, the current four door and a full size four door.

I wouldn't have the full size four doors, like Ford makes. Too long. But a lot of guys would.

My personal tastes would lean towards the old extended cab. THats a perfect fit for me.
I agree.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:06 PM

Need Bigger Crew Cab!!!

>>>What's wrong with the current size doors? Have no problem with 5 adults in my truck. >>>>>

Not to be a smart*ss, but your 5 adults would need to include at least a couple of midgets!!! I'm so disapointed in the quadcab. I just went to the dealer. The engine noise was low, very nice. It looked good although bed length is really cutting it close!!

Then I sat in the quad cab. Very nice inside!! Front is comfortable with good visibility. Then sat in the back. Oh my Gawd!!!!! Why bother. I'm 6'1" and my knees were hitting the back of the front seat!! And the back of the rear seat is almost straight up!! Extremely uncomfortable!! I wouldn't take a first grader on a long trip in that back "worthless" seat. Now I'm back at looking at the Ford. But the 2004 F250 is old generation with great engine that seems to have tons of problems!!

When the hell will these American companies get it!!!! Oh well......as soon as Nissan Titan has a diesel the execs in Detroit will be scratching their heads wondering why they're losing market!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 02:34 PM

How long is a swb quad cab? I never even considered the garage factor. I agree that they quad cab I looked in seemed small, but at 6'4" 260lb, but I ain't doing the riding in back!Ford Crew has my pick. Might as well wait a bit and see if DC gets it right before buying.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:50 PM

Why do people always say, "...as soon as the Nissan/Toyota/Mazda have a diesel, the big three will lose out (or I will switch)." Face it, there is a reason why no one else but the big three have real full sized heavy duty pickups. They can't compete. They will never be able to compete...diesel or not. Look at the "beef" of the Tundra or Titan...WIMPY. They may have some get up and go, but will never be more than a grocery getter. My Grand Cherokee has bigger axels...
Old 04-29-2004, 05:39 PM

I agree the crew cab on the new dodge trucks is lacking in comfort. That back seat is the thing that kills the dodge. Dodge should take notes from Ford on how to configure the crew cab. When sitting in the Ford it felt like a sofa, very nice.

Maybe DC will soon understand what their customers want.
-CM
Old 04-29-2004, 08:40 PM

CQ, people used to laugh at the concept of Japanese cars competing with U.S. sedans, too... assuming they can't build a heavy-duty pickup is the kind of head-in-the-sand thinking that lost the Big Three major market share when things like the Accord and Camry appeared.

Plenty of sources for axles already out there - Nissan is buying from Dana already. Short step from a Dana 44 to a 70 or 80 when they are ready to take it. Just can't see what keeps them from being able to compete, and do so effectively. Nissan have the basic architecture in hand with their half tons - not exactly rocket science to beef the frame, upgrade the axles, and drop in a serious diesel and tranny. The Chevys already run a Japanese diesel, after all.

I just hope that Detroit is paying attention, or their last primarily-homegrown slice of the market will go the way of the rest.

Jim
Old 04-30-2004, 10:28 AM

People laughed before the "introduction" of the compact car. That is where the Japanese really got a foothold in the market. They were non-existant in the muscle car era...I am going to abstain from saying more.

Quick Reply: Possibility of 4 full doors in 2005?