3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

plow

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by p0wd3rp1l0t
if ur lookin to make some extra cash dont even bother unless u got way more then a few accounts.
in my main job I have two of the bigger real estate companies in town as my clients, so here is a possibility I can get their lots. if not, I won't bother getting a plow.

so for everyone running a V plow on their truck, did you have to install it yourself? the guy I spoke with said he won't order, or install a v plow because its against their spec recommendation.

I did see on Hiniker's site that they say a v plow will work on my truck, but it didn't specify whether it was a QC or standard cab.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ian515
I did see on Hiniker's site that they say a v plow will work on my truck, but it didn't specify whether it was a QC or standard cab.
correction, it was on meyer's site
Old 12-17-2009, 06:13 PM

i think u need to find a new dealer, i have heard of some dealers not installing due to liability issues, but he wont order u one? seriously c'mon. i see u live in iowa, des moines there should be plenty of other dealers around there. install is kind of a pain if u have not done it before and wiring can be tricky, real tricky if ur not familiar with wiring diagrams.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:15 PM

and also check on insurance coverage too, cuz ur agent might slap u in the face with commercial coverage if ur doing it for money. and i would highly recommend that u do not plow without the proper coverage
Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by p0wd3rp1l0t
i think u need to find a new dealer, i have heard of some dealers not installing due to liability issues, but he wont order u one? seriously c'mon. i see u live in iowa, des moines there should be plenty of other dealers around there. install is kind of a pain if u have not done it before and wiring can be tricky, real tricky if ur not familiar with wiring diagrams.
I got a hold of a meyer dealer here in town, they said I can get the v plow on my truck, and they would install it. after reading some of these posts though, it sounds like a straight plow may be all I need. I would probably be doing a pretty even split of lots, and driveways.

good call on the insurance. so far we have gotten decent rates on everything from our home, to my business, I am sure this will be the same (fingers crossed).
Old 12-22-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ian, I have the Meyers E-Z Mount Plus Commercial 8'. It works great. I had some install issues on the Excursion I had it on, so find a good dealer/installer. Meyers was great on the customer service. I installed it myself on the remount to my present dodge. It is all you need if you don't have real narrow places to plow. I use a gas snowblower for them. My neighbor has the Boss V steel plow and complaints it is heavy for his 2500 CTD.
I also made a 60x19x20 3 sided box to hold 9 60 pound sand tubes between the rear wheels and the tailgate for ballast/ weight balance.
plow-meyers-plow2006-12-1507.jpg
Old 12-23-2009, 01:18 PM

Diesels can take a plow in the quad cab. But only the short box not he long box came with the AHD(plow prep) As for a plow I run a 8ft blade 813#. Kinda heavy but my front end doesnt drop at all. As for the plow you should buy. I swear by my Fisher. But they may not be the best option for you. As for Boss they are also a decent plow. But may not be the best option for you either. I would not order one off the net. look around and find out how many and what type of plow dealers are in your area. Plows break!! Even the new ones. So when you need help during a storm. Your local dealer may not jump through hoops for you internet purchased plow. Its kinda late in season to find a good used one. So look at Curtis and Hinker, Myer and other types. Dont jump at a Boss plow online like off CPW. Service and parts are #1 when it comes to plows
Old 12-23-2009, 10:07 PM

My long box don't have the Plow Prep as far as I now. It handles it fine in the weight and electrical. When I lift the blade it drops the front end 1-2"s at the most. I think you will be happy with it if you use a reputable dealer. Call Meyers and see if they can recommend anyone. I beleive the guy it customer service was named Tom and he was great when the dealers installer ( METH-HEAD) screwed the install up.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My quad cab 3500 DRW does not have a plow package and handles my 8' Western just fine. My experience is the same as what Joe M described - front drops between 1 and 2 inches with plow up.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:37 AM

Stay away from Meyers

They have a reputation for freezing up in the winter. Also get a blade that has a trip edge. This is crucial for moving lots of snow and is less work for the truck. Lastly, whatever you get make an investment in a good set of timbren load springs for the front suspension, and make sure you have proper tires.

I plow commercially with my 2007 mega cab dually. I use a western mvp plus at 9.5 ft wide. the blade weighs in close to 1000 lbs, over if you include the mount. With the timbrens, when i lift the blade, the truck drops about one inch. I have been doing this for almost 20 years. Find a reputable dealer and do your homework. Most one tons can handle more than the plow mfgr says. It still has to be set up right though.

Merry Xmas to all.

Oren
Old 12-25-2009, 01:45 PM

The Meyers I have has never frozen up. I had one fisher with a trip edge and the plow blade started to crack near the trip mechanism. The Meyers whole blade trips which I can see when its happening and like the feature. It does wake you yo though.

I am thinking about a rubber cutting blade. It may be easier on my oil and stone driveway.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 PM

we have 4 3500s from 2000 - 2007 all with 9.2 vs and they work great but we have done front end work to all bought them all used and put the blades on all are diesel and man can they push good luck id go w the v and start pricing ball joints and wheel bearings BB
Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 PM

I run a Diamond 8.5' trip edge which is made by Meyer no problems very well made plows they dont freeze up unless they are not properly maintained. But like others have said you want to have dealers near you for parts. Dont worry about buying from a local dealer I didnt and I dont have any problem gettin parts from local dealer. If they werent so out of their minds on prices I would buy more from them.