3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

plow

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plow

Anyone running the Boss V plow on their truck?

I am thinking of getting one to make some extra cash during the winter. shoulda done it last year so I could have profited off of this past storm!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Have a couple at work. Good well made plows. The V plow feature is super handy as well. Pretty pricey though for just a side job.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 AM

that was gonna be my next question, the only prices I can find online are around 5k, is that right? or low?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:17 PM

I just spoke with a dealer here in des moines, he says he doesn't think I can put a plow on my truck, due to factory specs or something. anyone hear of that before? he thinks it might be because of the weight of the engine, and the plow. I thought that was what ballast was for.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:48 PM

On most diesels, adding a snowplow exceeds the front axle weight rating.

I think the only Dodge diesel's that came with a snowplow prep package from the factory were Standard Cab models, but don't quote me on that one.

With that being said...

I've plowed with my truck for several years, although just for private use, with no problems whatsoever.

Even with all the stories of Megacabs back windows blowing out and door gaps not lining up when having a plow installed on 'em.

Many people who plow treat it like a race and in the process tear up their truck something fierce, and the only race they win is the fastest trip to the repair shop.

So what if it takes me 5 minutes longer than someone to do the same lot, when the next thing you know their truck is broke down, it snowing like crazy, and people need plowed out, and now I'm taking all the money you could of being making?

It can be done with the right suspension mods, the right plow, and some respect for your truck...

Being that it is this late in the year, everyone has all their contracts lined up, so don't expect to spend several grand on a setup, and think that people will be hunting you down with fistfuls of money so you can plow for them, unless of course you have accounts lined up.

5 years of snowplowing burned me out and became more of a hassle than it was worth.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The reality is that any modern Dodge, GM or Ford light duty diesel truck will be overweight on the front axle with a half decent commercial plow on it.....yet, there are thousands of them out plowing and getting work done. It can be done, it has been done and will continue to be done - even though they are overweight on the front.

I run an 8' Western on the front and yes, the front is heavy but it works great and there hasn't been any negative results from the plow....though, I do not beat the ever living tar out of my truck when plowing.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:18 PM

I have to stick with a straight blade though, right? or can I get away with a V plow? sounds like if I wanted a V plow I would have to install it myself.

I wouldn't be working for myself, so the clients are already lined up. but I don't think I will be getting it this season. who knows though!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 PM

You didn't state your exact truck set up but pretty much anything over a 7.5 will put you over. Go weigh your truck axles and see how much weight you have left for GVWR and you axle weight ratings. On my 2500 QC long bed, Western says I can use only their 7.5 Mid weight and it take 950 lbs of ballast. The plow weight about 540lbs, mount is about 100. About 1590 in plow and ballast and I am out of GVWR.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by jkitterman
You didn't state your exact truck set up but pretty much anything over a 7.5 will put you over. Go weigh your truck axles and see how much weight you have left for GVWR and you axle weight ratings. On my 2500 QC long bed, Western says I can use only their 7.5 Mid weight and it take 950 lbs of ballast. The plow weight about 540lbs, mount is about 100. About 1590 in plow and ballast and I am out of GVWR.
that's weird, my sig is gone....sorry about that. I have an 03 2500 quad cab short box. gonna have to get that sig back in there!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:22 PM

I just traded in my 04.5 2500 for a 09 3500 and switched the meyer plow out last weekend. In fact the dealer let me bring both trucks back home to do it. My dealer up here in Alaska didn't even blink. The 04.5 had a factory "snow plow prep", that when I inquired was told was pretty much just the skid plate under the transfer case. When I bought the 09 last week, they said the only difference between the 2500 and the 3500 was the overload leaf in the rear. I had a couple of front end warranty repairs in the 5 years I owned the 04.5 2500, dealer always made good, with the snow plow not being a issue. I don't plow commersically, just a 1/2 dozen or so neighbor driveways. Never had any problems with the plow being on the 2500.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U could also look at plows with plexi glass mold board like sno-way for less weight.

Just a thought!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:50 PM

I have never plowed with my truck and don't have any first hand experience with any plows, but I was in my local 4x4 truck shop and they were selling a new line of plows called Snow Dogg. They look good and were priced lower than other major players. May want to check them out. http://www.snowdoggplows.com/
*Note: I have no affiliation with them, just thought I'd mention a new product for comparison.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:14 PM

Most poly plows weight more than steel plows due to the extra steel ribbing in the frame. The heavier the plow the better it works although it is harder on the front axle.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:41 PM

I've been plowing with Dodge Cummins for 15 years now...

First was. '95 3500 single cab dually. Had an 8.5' western straight blade. No worries.

Second was a v10 club cab dually with westerns first v..

Then had a '99 2500 quad cab short box with fisher 8.5 v no problems

Then 2003 quad dually long box with 250hp cummins and fisher 8.5v this truck had lots of issues, none of which had anything to do with the plow...

In '05 got a solar yellow 3500 quad short single wheel and put on a western MVP 9.5 and not one issue.

Now I'm rocking an 07 mega dually 5.9 with a 9.5 MVP plus.

Regardless I have always ran rimbrens in the front..... Cheers...
Old 12-13-2009, 08:45 PM

we run boss plows. 2 straight, 2 v's. no problems. we run commercial i have a 8' boss straight w/wing which makes it 9'2" wide on my truck in sig. do not run a straight without a wing, if u do ur wasting ur time. v's work better for small driverways. we use them for banks or fast food places with drivethrus but big parking lots we use the straights with wings, seems to work alot better and faster. if ur lookin to make some extra cash dont even bother unless u got way more then a few accounts.

Quick Reply: plow