3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Please HELP! Truck wont start after it has been started?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DmaxEter
Please excuse me before I go get my .45 and suck on the barrel like a crazy straw
It's just a machine...

You've got opposable thumbs and the ability to reason - DON'T JUMP!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are harder to start after being warm probably due to clearance issues is what i believe the 2nd set i had did this and they came from industrial in utah. i wouldnt buy anything from them again. as far as cleaning them i have not found a thing that will fix it has to do with the tolerances and clearance on the injector parts . had to find this out by asking a lot of people cuz i was trying to do a fix without the $$$. the only thing i recomend is that you keep the tips and put them on new injector bodies and get a better fuel filter because with the fueling boxes raising pressure any debri will speed up the wear process. went thru the last set in about 18k which was about 5 or 6 months had bad fuel and poor quality fuel filter. cummins is supposed to have abetter filter now i believe its a 7 micron.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a very well known fact that this truck has had the Crazy Larry program in it for a while, and its well known that this thing has had some VERY questionable fuel run in it. The tank had lots of trash and junk in general in it. You getting all this Karl?

I will check with Sam at Mid-South Diesel and see if they have the ability to work on these injectors at all. They are a Bosch dealer and a fairly large one! I bet if we get these bodies worked or replaced the problem will dissappear!!
Old 10-27-2006, 05:22 PM

i have a similar problem with my 05 quadcab
it is hard to start at all times, i have to pump the pedal for it to start after many cranks. it is also has no power when i floor it.
i replaced the fuel filter and air filter. i put a guage on my fuel line and it reads 9 psi at idle and 1-2 psi at full throttle.

i topped off my tank with known good diesel and it seems to run better for now.

i was wondering if there was a way to check the pressure coming out of the injection pump. does someone sell a guage set up of some sort?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:03 PM

Pumping the pedal is pointless when trying to start an electronic common-rail diesel... there's no accelerator pump on the non-existent carbuerator!

Your low power is likely from insufficient fuel... on an '05, 9psi idle is fine, but 1-2 WOT is too low unless you are running fueling boxes/downloaders.

Fill out your sig so we know what you're working with

You can purchase a rail gauge to read the injection pressure in the common rail.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:08 PM

Where can I get the line to run the rail pressure gauge? I can pick up the 30,000 psi gauges all day long, but the line has been hard to track down!

And where do you connect to the rail at to measure the pressure?
Old 10-28-2006, 06:11 PM

The line doesn't come with the gauge?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:19 PM

I have been looking at liquid filled gauges online. I dont see buying one to mount in the cab or where ever when I just will be using it for testing purposes and what not. If it does get mounted it will be out side on the cowl.

You can buy a 30,000 psi liquid filled gauge fairly cheap on line at some hydraulic parts sources. The line is a buger to find though!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 03:24 AM

I would normally do that too - just spec & plumb our own setup (like we did forthe cowl-mounted LP pressure gauge), but for testing purposes you have to see the dial while under WOT, so it's either the cowl (no room left on mine and still clear both wipers and the hood without looking retarded) or an interior rail pressure gauge kit.

You can get the glycerin-filled gauges and hose & fittings from a few online sources - though you'll probably have to send them an RFQ... I've seen hoses good to 40K psi and gauges & fittings up to 60K psi
Old 10-29-2006, 09:24 AM

The gauges are easy to come by, but I cant find that hose to save my life!
Old 10-29-2006, 01:09 PM

Try Pirtek part # 100BLP-04 10K psi working, 40K psi burst 6.5mm ID 21mm OD, min bend radius 4" ambient working pressure -40*C to +120*C

Also US Hose has products which will work, such as part # RF67-XFC 12K psi working, 18K psi max test, 48K psi max burst

I'm sure there's others out there as well...it's just not something you can pick up at Tractor Supply!
Old 11-08-2006, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Pumping the pedal is pointless when trying to start an electronic common-rail diesel... there's no accelerator pump on the non-existent carbuerator!

Your low power is likely from insufficient fuel... on an '05, 9psi idle is fine, but 1-2 WOT is too low unless you are running fueling boxes/downloaders.

Fill out your sig so we know what you're working with

You can purchase a rail gauge to read the injection pressure in the common rail.
my sig is filled out. thats all i got.
it was weird that it would only start when i pumped the throttle... a lot.

i put diesel in from a truck stop and it has been running fine. i tried some ultra low sulphur diesel from a local station and it was running like crap again.

im going to try to only use diesel #2 i guess. im also in the market for an upgraded lp so i can put a towing program on it.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:01 PM

I have the same kind of problem with mine and the dealer said it was injectors, I have a reman set waiting to be installed on monday. Mine would start cold but would not start warm. I never tried to start cold then shut off then restart, so I dont know of this exact situation. I did notice that the last time I had her runnin it wouldn't start very easily cold either so I just parked it untill the new sticks show up...... Keep us posted as I will do the same!! good luck!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:45 AM

hi dmaxetr did you ever figure out what was wrong with your truck? i just put a new rapter pickup pump in mine and a remanufacture bosh injector pump and it starts fine in the morning but if i shut it off even after running for just a minute it wont start unless i bump it with ether.any help would be appreciated