3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Pinholes in Chrome on Nerf Bars...Dealer installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinholes in Chrome on Nerf Bars...Dealer installed

I purchased the truck about 10 months ago at a local dealer new, they gave me a bunch of "mopar" dollars for accessories so I blew them on these mopar nerf bars.
Everything was fine with them except that the dealer kinda botched the install-forgetting to install some bracketry as well as the drivers side was out of alignment about 1" with the trucks body panels.

The other week-while getting a service engine light looked at, I asked them to "fix" the running boards since they didn't install them correctly the first time. Those dorks proceeded to try & tell me that I must have hit something & bent the boards in order for the one side to beout of alignment that much.

..... after fighting with them for some labor they charged me to "straighten" a perfectly straight bracket as well as a couple other minor issues, they decided to have their top installer look at the problem & fix it, what ever the problem was-no charge.

Heres the problem. Those guys decided that the easiest thing for them was to completely reinstall brand new boards. I thought that was great......but I live in a climate where a bunch of salt is used on the roads. These boards have been on my truck only a week & there is already pinholes of rust coming thru the finish...mainly on the passenger side, but some on the drivers side as well.

Do I go back to the dealer & get them to put another new set of boards on the truck...or just deal with rusty boards. My old ones were a little pitted from rocks, but no rust was coming thru the finish. I feel guilty for hounding these guys but I hate rust.

Oh, and one more thing, the "pro" installer messed up the install again.... the drivers side board is still 1" out of alignment.....
Old 02-20-2008, 09:16 AM

When and / or if I ever get running boards or nerf bars I'm going to get them Line-x'd for the same reasons you mentioned - road salt and rocks and chrome don't mix very well.

Sorry to hear about the crappy install and re-install though...
Old 02-20-2008, 09:37 AM

That's what I did...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&ppuser=39739
Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Banned

I'm not all that up for spraying brandnew boards with linex-I kinda like the chrome. Just wondering if you all think I should complain again to the dealer...
Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 AM

I'd certainly complain. Though it's a little late for you, I have NASTA nerf bars. They're ALL stainless steel, down to the bracketry and last little fastener. I hate rust, too.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:10 AM

Dealer I purchased the truck from put the nerf bars on backwards. I went to another dealer who noticed right away.

Best luck I've had fighting the "rust spots" is using Mother's polish which helps to shine up the nerf bars, eliminates the little spots, and helps seal it. i am sure there are other products out there...
Old 02-20-2008, 12:44 PM

you might find that it's not easy getting accessories like nerf bars, running boards, wheels, etc. replaced due to road salt or mag chloride damage. most accessories are warrantied against manufacturing defects and the like, but this kind of damage is considered the same as rock chips- not their fault so not their problem.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 PM

That may be SOP, but if I bought something at a dealer, I'd expect OEM quality. That said, I've never bought dealer-sold accessories because:

- They're more expensive.
- They're not as good as other offerings. (IMO, what I've bought.)
- They don't offer what I want at all. (Look at my sig.)
- They want to install it. (I'd rather do it myself.)

That's my two cents.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:14 AM

Mopar accessories have a warrenty. I think it is worth it to go back and see what they do. What is the worst thing that can happen, they tell you no...
Old 02-21-2008, 09:36 AM

I have one even better then that. My truck has those door guards on the lip of the door to keep dorr dings from happening. They where on it when I bought the truck. This past summer they where faded,and started to look like crap so opted to pull them off and replace them with new ones. And found a huge door ding....a dent if you will under the driver side one! I took it to a dealer here in Alabama and they said they couldnt do anything about it! So now I have covered door ding and it bothers the hell out of me! Next time I buy a truck and there is free stuff involved I will look the truck over alot closer.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Banned

thanks for your thoughts. I've booked the truck in for the 3rd time for friggin running boards. If they don't fix it, I'll get them to refund my money & I'll buy something aftermarket.