3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

A Pillar blind spot

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The gauges on the pillar don't have a whole lotta affect, the vent visors DO add a little to it though.

It bothered me a bit when I first got the truck but now I'm used to it, it's not like we really can do anything about it, right?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:25 AM

I'll deal with it, many cars and trucks have them. The new FJ cruiser is horrible. When I get out of the truck and drive a car, I feel like my vision is very limited. Sitting up higher let's you see much more than a standard car.

My guess is the size has to do with safety, to keep it from crushing. Since the metal they use now is thinner, it would have to be larger to provide more support.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 AM

Its really not that bad, its a pillar, like any other vehicle. In any other car/truck you have to look around it too. Its just part of driving and being a responsible driver.
I really dont think you guys would like a 1/2" wide/thick pillar there instead, if you ever get in an accident
Old 01-22-2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by 05HDRAM

My guess is the size has to do with safety, to keep it from crushing. Since the metal they use now is thinner, it would have to be larger to provide more support.
It's not so much that as the angle of the widshields these days. When they were almost straight up and down the pillars didn't need to be as thick to support the roof of the cab (in case of a roll over?), but now with the windshields at such an angle the pillar needs to be stronger and thicker.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 05HDRAM
When I get out of the truck and drive a car, I feel like my vision is very limited. Sitting up higher let's you see much more than a standard car.
I hate driving a car. I came out of jacked up Jeeps into my Dodge truck. My wife drives an '02 300M (pre gansta model). We took a 250 mile trip in the truck the other day and when we got home she commented on how much more she sees out of the truck versus her lowrider car. I told her to back off, we weren't trading.

The A pillar problem was my first complaint when I started driving my truck. I'm used to it now and take extra precautions.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 PM

Theres a sharp, uphill, "S" curve coming up the road from my house and everyday I have to move my head far to the left, close to the window, so I can see if anyone is coming down the hill. Also, when I make a left out of the end of my subdivision road, I have to strain to the right to look past the passenger side pillar to see if anything is coming.

As another poster said, the vent visor's only exacerbate, (**** SAT's), this problem. I have never encountered it on another vehicle though, all the other A-pillar's of car's I have driven are thin. But it doesn't bother me enough to get something else, it would be a stupid reason if it did.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:51 PM

Exclamation

I`ve never owned a veh. with such large a-pillar blind spots.....my vent visors and lift don`t seem to help it much either

Last week , as I was pulling out of work , I just about drove into a guys drivers side door....the funny thing is , he didn`t even flinch ,slow down , speed up....nothing

Scared the out of me though. I looked like I always do , but never even saw him coming. He must have been in the blind spot the entire time. That would have been really hard to live down

Just have to be extra carefull from now on.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by _Adam_
I'd guess that if for some reason you flipped it, the pillars might act as a bit of a roll cage - or so I hope anyway.
the dodge cabs are pretty sturdy! had a gen two gasser that i hit a tree with doing 60, the rear passed the front and i ended up upside down, bad crash but the truck and the good lord kept me safe!

attached is a picture of the truck facing the opposite direction on the road
Attached Thumbnails A Pillar blind spot-truck1.jpg  
Old 01-22-2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Highway 4x4
Why would the Mfg's build in such a problem? One way to sell new trucks or body parts.

This is sort of a silly question. The mfg's don't build in a problem. The A pillar has to be there. The pillar by itself isn't all that bad, but then people, including myself, put triple pod pillars in and cause the problem. I don't really like having to look around mine either, but I have become used to it and it doesn't really affect me anymore.

There are solutions to solve the problem the pillar pods cause. Check out the overhead pods or even the column mounts!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:38 AM

I wasn't serious there. One reason the blind spot is so big is because the A pillar is not far from our face. I keep my seat back as far as I can to minimize the problem.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have no issues. This blind spot is very very minimal compaired to the one on both sides looking rearward.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by redraider2011
the dodge cabs are pretty sturdy! had a gen two gasser that i hit a tree with doing 60, the rear passed the front and i ended up upside down, bad crash but the truck and the good lord kept me safe!

That is good to know in case an oak tree runs out in front of me!

In all seriousness, it is good to hear that you came out alive and that the cab is sturdy. I hope that doesn't happen again.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Highway 4x4
I wasn't serious there. One reason the blind spot is so big is because the A pillar is not far from our face. I keep my seat back as far as I can to minimize the problem.
I agreed with your first post. It is definitely a design issue. My Son has a Superduty and it doesn't have this problem. I think the Ford design is a lot better, especially the lower position of the mirror which minimizes A pillar dimensions at dash level.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by redraider2011

A friend of mine was hit head-on by a loaded dump truck in a second Generation V10 straight cab truck. The valve covers were almost touching the seat back. Although a person is depending on guardian angels during times like that, I still think the structural strength of his truck saved his life. Tore his heart loose from his chest cavity, but he survived.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:13 PM

Want to buy a Smart Car? Saving gas won't mean squat if you're turned into a speed bump on the highway.

Quick Reply: A Pillar blind spot