3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

In a pickle here guys...need some input

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think part of the problem is that you really don't want that truck anymore and this has just added to your wanting to be rid of it. Most vehicles are just never the same after a major repair like this. My new 08 has been awesome other than the crappy in-town mileage. It's definitely stronger than the last truck(stock). You may lose your shorts trading it in but I think you would get a great deal on a new truck be it a CTD or a Hemi, or even a Titan. I thought about a Hemi too but most of them get worse mileage than the CTDs so I stuck with the diesel again...
Another option is to find another used 5.9 CTD and trade your truck in on it. There are plenty of used trucks at dealers now.....
Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, as far as no warranty after the swap over, shouldn't at least the engine still have it's 100K 5yr warranty left? I don't know how an accident to the frame would effect the engine warranty. Just a thought.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. As far as my title goes, I truly have no idea if it will be marked now that the frame has been replaced. I haven't asked that question.....

The body shop guy told me that swapping frames is pretty normal now. He is doing a brand new Camry as well as my truck now and he said they just did a Jeep not too long ago.

I am really thinking of a Hemi. $13K off the sticker, the Lifetime Warranty, and low APR is really looking good. My friend just traded his CTD in on a Hemi 1500, and he says it gets 13-14 town and 17 highway. Thats about what my diesel gets, maybe a little better around town. I do like having the CTD, but don't really need it especially with fuel prices at close to $5/gallon.

I don't have any problems with buying an '08, problems or not. They have warranty's and the dealers will fix any problems that arise. Dealer where I bought my truck was always good to me with loaner vehicles and such, so I would not be worried. I would be like you Zilla, no mods at all except for gauges, tint, small stuff like that. No more engine mods, I would like to keep the warranty. I may go look at an '08 tonight.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:18 AM

Get it back a drive it.Only way to make a decison is after its back running and driving in your hands.How many rubber mounts cab and bed are going to be fresh.Theres not many of them.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:20 AM

I'd think twice about guages. Dealers are giving guys a hard time about even guages on these 6.7s.....
Also, usually if you get the good interest rate you lose a lot of the discounts and rebates. I tried to get both on my truck and they said HECK NO! 0% or the $4500 rebate! Not both! In the end I was better off getting the $4500 rebate and financing through the local bank.
As I said, I was in the same boat as you but in the end I could not bring myself to drive a gasser again. Diesel is in my blood now....
And if you get an 08 CTD be prepared for 13mpg city max when it's new. Mine hovers between 13-14 depending on how often I go into regen. You really have to drive with an egg under the pedal or it drops quick! I absolutely love this truck other than that.....
Old 06-09-2008, 08:25 AM

If truck was not totaled title won't reflect anything different.Insurance company doesn't have access to the title unless they own the vehicle.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the input Zilla, I will probably just leave it stock except for a few cosmetic mods.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
Yeah back on topic....

My friend had the frame replaced on his 98 Wrangler back in the day and he had an electric gremlin ....
That's what I'd be worried about: wire routing. All those looms have to be put back right where they were or they'll rub and short out.

I replaced the tranny in my '97 Chebby at 100k just to find out it had already been replaced once before, and the wire harness pinched between the top of the tranny and the firewall seam, dang near cut it in half.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:40 AM

I would SELL IT!!!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 06:28 PM

Thank you for all the responses. I have read each one and have decided to keep the truck for six months and see what happens. If I see that I really don't need to have a 3/4 ton diesel, than I may just step down to a Hemi or maybe a car altogether.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:04 PM

You my know in less time then that if its a problem child.Then again it may drive/run great.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot2500
Thank you for all the responses. I have read each one and have decided to keep the truck for six months and see what happens. If I see that I really don't need to have a 3/4 ton diesel, than I may just step down to a Hemi or maybe a car altogether.
If you like having a CTD-powered truck but don't feel you need the heavier duty suspension/truck, another option might be to hold onto the truck until the 2009 model year comes out and try and deal the truck on an '09 Ram 1500 with the baby Cummins in it. Another option for you. Either way I don't think you should lock into any decision. Play it day to day with the truck until you get it back and get some miles on it so as to see how it reacted to the work.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:33 AM

Got her back last night only to put her back in to my regular shop for a bad rear u-joint. So far, it feels good even though I only put about 30 miles on her. I figure give it a little time and see how it feels after a few long trips. Thanks again to all who made suggestions.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:54 AM

I was kind of in your boat in early 07. Didn't need a frame swap, but did $17k damage to the front end and had essentially every fron end suspension component replaced including the axle..

I fretted over and over about whether it would ever be right... The shop did a great job and it has bee 14 months and 25k miles since the repar and all is well.

Only immediate post crash issue I had was the gasket to the my exhaust brake needed to be replaced.

About a year after I did have within two weeks a failure of my radiator and injection pump. It was either a fluke, or indirect damage caused by the accident, or maybe caused from sitting for 2 months while they fixed it.. Either way DC replaed them under warranty and all seems well for now..

I would rather have a replaced frame, than a straightened frame.

Bryan
Old 06-13-2008, 09:55 AM

True that. My frame was so bad there was no way it could have been straightened and than been right again. The part of the rail behind the passenger side front tire was like a V.