3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

In a pickle here guys...need some input

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a pickle here guys...need some input

So I cracked up my 04.5 about a month ago and will be getting it back hopefully this week. Long story short, the entire frame of the truck is being replaced as we speak. Motor, trans, axles, everything is being swapped over to a new frame which came direct from Chrysler. Truck has 88k on it and has had its share of issues over the past 4 years of ownership.

My question is, would you guys trust a vehicle that has had everything switched over to a new frame? My thinking is that it was assembled at the factory, than dis-assembled not by the factory and than re-assembled by the same shop. It will probably not be the same. I am not by any means putting the shop down at all, they are doing a great job, just don't know if I would trust the truck anymore after this. I could just keep the truck, but it has no warranty anymore and I can't really afford major repairs.

I sold the plow that I had (frame was damaged in the accident) so I really don't need to have a 3/4 ton diesel truck. I have looked at new Hemi's, but don't want to be filling it up every couple of days. I use my diesel as my daily driver and occasional towing of my 6k boat or a small 6x12 open trailer with mowers or 4-wheelers. I thought of buying a new 2008 with the 6.7 and 6 speed auto but am kinda scared about all that regen stuff. I do travel the highway everyday so I guess I could blow it out everyday.

Sorry for the long post, but I am so indecisive!! What would you guys do? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:19 AM

Not that big of a deal.............race trucks are torn down and inspected after every major race.When you get it back just grab some wrenches roll under it and start retorqueing all the fastners,inspect for correct wiring harness routing etc.

Bob
Old 06-08-2008, 11:31 AM

I would be more concerned of down the road aways. Squeaks, rattles, leaks and things. Look at how often new factory-built trucks have these kind of problems. With autos that I have had a collision in and repaired, there's always something, down the road, that pops up. Most shops give you a lifetime warranty on collision repairs, but then it's just like having to return to the dealer to get warranty work done - BIG waste of time.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:30 PM
D45

I personally do not like wrecked or damaged items.

However, it sounds like you are getting alot of nice, new items like a motor, trans, axles etc.

Your truck had 88K on it, and all the drivetrain will literally be new.

As long as you get the truck back without any defect or flaws, I would keep it.

Plus, with a new 08 there is all the emissions an DPF things to worry about.

Additionally, look at your sig and all the mods you have, as well as all the $$$$ invested in them:

Mag Hytec Tranny Pan/Diff Cover
ATS Triple Lok Commander
ATS Manifold
PacBrake
AFE Stage II
Isspro Tranny Temp/ Boost, EGT
Magnaflow 5" turbo-back w/ 6" tip
FASS 150BullyDog Power Pup w/CL tune
Daystars
Rokktech sensor
Quad Boost Fooler
Silverstars
Kenwood Radio
Grover Air horns
CompuStart Alarm
Western Plow
LED Cab lights/Line-of-Fire, LED lightbar
BackRack

Nice long list of mods..........keep your truck!
Old 06-08-2008, 01:15 PM

D, I would love to get a new drivetrain/motor, but all that stuff is going from my old frame to the new one. Only new parts going on my truck are new bumper, step pad, radiator, intercooler (metal, not plastic), thats it.

GM, thats my thoughts exactly. What if down the road I have more issues? Truck right now has a ton of squeaks, rattles, odd noises, you name it....

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming!
Old 06-08-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another thing to consider is the current market for diesel trucks. Are you going to be able to sell it for a price that you can live with, especially after disclosing that it is an accident repair? What will be the status of the title after the repair? Rebuild/Salvage? You might end up taking a HUGE loss selling the truck right now based on the economy and the history of your vehicle.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:17 PM

On another note, the truck was originaly a mass produced item, get it done and shove it out the door. A good shop might be able to a better job because they can pay better attention to detail, never been in this kind of situation so thats just a thought. Best of luck with the repairs and whatever decision you make down the road.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:42 PM

WHY are people ******* 7.5 & 08 for having the emission stuff , I'v got an 08 SLT Big horn 4x4 with 8k and not the first problem.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I have changed complete frame and had it done in one day. Pay is good so I like doing them. Once the cab is off the rest is a piece of cake.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by cpilon
WHY are people ******* 7.5 & 08 for having the emission stuff , I'v got an 08 SLT Big horn 4x4 with 8k and not the first problem.
There are a lot of people on this forum who can't let go of the fact that some 7.5's and a few 08's had problems. For the most part I would bet there are more out there with no problems than ones with .It's just that the people with problems are more vocal and others hear this and than rag on them even though they do not even own one.Just go to the 12 valve section and there are people there raggin on the same 5.9's 24 valve these guys are claiming to be the best thing ever built.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I think it's quite common to replace frames on vehicles. Nowadays with the high price of new trucks, insurance companies have damage repaired that would've been written off years ago. I wouldn't worry about the frame replacement a bit. I'd be far more worried owning a truck that somebody had rebuilt the engine or transmission on- far more parts to worry about, and much closer tolerances.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 AM

Keep it and just go over everything when you get it back. Watch all your bolts, screws, and nuts for a while and take it back to the shop if your not happy with something! i would be afraid with the cost of diesel and the salvaged title you wouldnt be able to get much out of it....
Old 06-09-2008, 12:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cpilon
wow, 8k miles with no problems?! is this the Diesel Stop?
Old 06-09-2008, 12:37 AM

Yeah back on topic....

My friend had the frame replaced on his 98 Wrangler back in the day and he had an electric gremlin there after and traded it off about a year later.

No biggie, I'd see how everything works and wait till everyone adjusts to fuel prices before selling it.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:47 AM

Just think. With everything freshly torqued to the new frame, it ought to be in much better shape than it was. I would think you would be happy rather than worrisome.

Quick Reply: In a pickle here guys...need some input