3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

PIAA 510 question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIAA 510 question

This question is for anyone who has had PIAA driving and fog lights installed on their truck. Can you utilize your factory switches to operate the driving and fog lights? I want to be able to use the factory switches without blowing fuses or having them draw power that affects the brightness of my headlights. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:20 PM

you can choose to run either the fogs or the driving lights off the factory switch. you don't want to do both, as the driving lights are meant to be run as high beams only, and the fogs can be run with your low beams.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:22 PM

chipmonk, this may be a dumb question so forgive me. Can you set the piaa's up to run the fog light off of the factory fog light switch and have the piaa driving lights activate by your factory high beam switch? That would be separate switches, right? Dude, you've gotta bear with me I have no clue about lighting or wiring.

Next question, for the road armor bumper in what order do the PIAA lights go.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PPw350z,

What year truck do you have, do you have factory fog lights already installed in the front bumper? You need to fill out your signature so people know what year truck you have.

Regarding your question for the PIAA lights - what do you want? Are the factory lights not bright enough?

I just took my fog lights and used a relay to the running lights therefore whenever I turn my headlight switch on, my fogs turn on, even with HIGH beams - Yeah, I beat dodge again!
Old 04-05-2008, 11:48 PM

I have an 05 and I replaced the factory bumper with a Road Armor.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:54 AM

i don't know if you can wire the driving lights so they're activated with your high beams, but i wouldn't, as i don't want to have to run my high beams to run my driving lights. i would advise running one of them on the 'pull out' of your headlight switch (factory fog switch), and use one of the supplied switches for the other, or just run each off their own piaa switch. btw, since having the driving lights, i've never had to run my high beams.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:08 AM

Simple solution - Go get a 12V relay from any auto store or fleet and farm.

Take off the driver side head light assembly, there are 3 bolts and 1 screw. The difficult bolt is between the bumper and the head light assembly located beneath the turn / running light. There is also a push to snap connector behind the running light that you can access with a long screw driver from the driver side wheel well.

A good location for the relay is to mount the relay to the windshield washer screw, in front of the power distribution box.

The relay will have 4 spades, you can purhcase the mating spade connectors at any hardware store. The 4 spade connectors are as follows: ground, battery, switch, and your fog lights. Connect ground wire to the battery, battery wire to + side of battery (note you will need lug connectors to connect to the battery), switch goes to your running lights and fog lights will be your 12 volts to your fog lights. Your fog lights will need a ground, I suggest simply running a wire to the battery for your fog light ground.

The switch wire needs to be connected inline with the running light, I believe from memory it is white w/ yellow wire. You can check this with a voltage meter.

By connecting your fogs this way, you will have your fogs on when ever you turn you headlight switch, even with your brights.

I hope this helps.

Trending Topics

Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 AM

I've done it with the Piaa 510 in the factory light hole on my '02, and used the factory switch to run the lights. All I did was cut the connectors from the factory harness and the Piaa harness and splice the two together. Honestly though, I was really unhappy with the light from the 510s, and the lights on the third-gen trucks are much better then the second-gen ever were.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:02 PM

Well, I had to choose between the PIAA's or Hellas and from what I've heard the PIAA's are much better.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 PM

I just went with the PIAA switches and they are mounted pretty slickly right next to the steering column, left-side. I like having separate switches for the high beams. It gives me more options. I can go bright, really bright or scorch your retinas bright. I also have the Road Armor bumper too.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nvr-enuf
PPw350z,

What year truck do you have, do you have factory fog lights already installed in the front bumper? You need to fill out your signature so people know what year truck you have.

Regarding your question for the PIAA lights - what do you want? Are the factory lights not bright enough?

I just took my fog lights and used a relay to the running lights therefore whenever I turn my headlight switch on, my fogs turn on, even with HIGH beams - Yeah, I beat dodge again!
So how did you get your fog lights to come on w/ high beams on? I'm wanting to be able to use my fogs w/ high beams, but be able to turn the fogs on and off like with the lows. Driving in the panhandle of Texas where their are no lights or traffic for miles I want to light up the road a little more w/ out adding extra lights.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by RamGazer
So how did you get your fog lights to come on w/ high beams on? I'm wanting to be able to use my fogs w/ high beams, but be able to turn the fogs on and off like with the lows. Driving in the panhandle of Texas where their are no lights or traffic for miles I want to light up the road a little more w/ out adding extra lights.
By running fogs with highbeams, you're actually reducing your distance vision. The extra light up close causes the pupils to contract, which limits the amount of light coming in from the edge of your headlight pattern. If you're rock crawling and need the extra vision, it's helpful, but for highway driving it's actually a detriment.