3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Patriot Blue - Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patriot Blue - Anyone??

I was looking to get an 05-06 2500 with the Patriot Blue color. I love the color but I hear that the paint chips easily and the dirt shows very easily on that color.

Anyone wish to chime in>>>
Old 04-21-2006, 02:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The paint chips easily on all of them. Patriot blue is a pretty color but will probably show dirt just about as bad as my Black.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:07 AM

In 03 the sales manager at the dealer I bought at said stay clear of the Patriot blue.Edges had promer showing through,door jams etc.Said it was a headache color.I'd look at one close and judge for your self.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:18 AM

So the color problem is basically associated with ALL Dodge Rams. Someone told me that the paint is lacking in quality. Is this still true on 05s and 06s?

So a silver color would be better....

What's the difference between silver and silver clearcoat?
Old 04-21-2006, 04:22 AM

I have the metalic gray paint, and it's very thin. All the paints are thin, you can scratch it with anything, even rubbing it with a soft coat, no lie. I have marks where the wheels are (water spray) that has made it a foggy gray it really isn't as good as it used to be.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:32 AM

True on any new vehicle.Not just dodge.But the Patriot Blue had a lot more issues.As I stated look at edges of panals,inside door jams,hood higes etc.The ones I've seen have had the white of the primer showing through.Was told in 03 it was a headache color.Inspect one well and see for your self.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:50 AM

Thumbs up

I have a 06 Patriot Blue havent really had any issues as of yet accept for a tree branch draaging across my roof and there is now a white spot there about an inch long. the color looks as bad as my black ram when it gets dirty
stay away from dark colors if you dont want to wash your truck all the time.
Other than my roof scratch no issues I like the color...the silver was my second choice but opted for the blue..
Old 04-21-2006, 06:53 AM

I have it, love the color but I am afraid to hand wash it good because of how easy it scratches. Almost have to wash out the sponge between each section. If you go offroad anywhere where there is a lot of silt like dust, take it to the pressure washer first then hand wash. I could take my 98 Grand Cherokee into the worst conditions offroad and get fewer scratches. Probably going to try one of those multi step processes to protect it like Zaino. I’m not so sure about the chipping part of it but it does scratch.
Interesting thing though. I have a two tone paint job, and you can tell they painted the lower gray right over the blue and its thicker. Also seems harder to scratch.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Atlantic Blue...nice colour.
As others have said...these factory paints leave a lot to be desired.
Scratch very easily...no mater what color.
You might be better off with a non metalic colour like Red or White.
Easier to repair when you do get a scratch.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:34 PM

I have the patriot blue pearl coat, and I love the way it shines. it does look dirty faster but not as bad as my black one did. mine is an 06 with the silver gray/patriot blue. I would get it again. white is just plain dull.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:00 PM

My '05 is Patriot as was my '00. It's beautiful when it's clean, tolerable when it's not. I don't know if it's any less durable than any other color but I'm not super-picky about it. It's a friggin' 4x4 truck so it's gonna get some abuse.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:03 PM

Sure looks pretty when it's clean though....
I actually have white marks from bugs hitting on the front door post! They are on both sides and go from bottom to top. Don't stand in the bed to wash the top either. If the hose touches the side of the bed you will have even more scratches!
Mine will get painted in a couple of years and if it gets the same color, it will have the best clearcoat applied over it! I read that lots of guys in 03 took their trucks directly to a body shop and had them clearcoat them and that really helped.....
Old 04-21-2006, 05:18 PM

I'll jump on....
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks the paint sucks. I also think the sheet metal is thin. My last truck (by an unnamed manufacturer) the paint and body was in better shape after 10 years than this one after 2 years.

Yea it looks pretty when clean and in the sunshine, but it seems like air molecules can scratch the paint and dent the body. I may be repairing and repainting it after another 2 years just so it doesn't look like an old heap.

Sorry to gripe.. I do love my truck...

Old 04-21-2006, 05:25 PM

Last truck was red, this one is black....Dont think theres a big difference except black shows more dirt....I wanted blue until we got the wifes car

Oh, her litle blue Toyomoto The crappy plastic front end looks like trash..I mean that thing looks like somebody took a wire wheel to it....All from bugs and gravel...Worst paint I've EVER seen on a vehicle...Cept the old Chevy trucks that had the paint blow off while driving
Old 04-21-2006, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Patriot Blue '01. Had it since new. No quaity issues with the paint job as faar as delamination or bad clearcoat, etc. It shows dirt as bad as black I think. Doesn't scratch any easier than any other color IMO, just shows the scratches worse because it's dark color.
Small scratches/scuffs polish out easily w/ a buffer, however the paint and clear are extremely thin! I had to spot repair one of the panels and blended it. When I went to wetsand the feather edge, about 2 swipes w/ 1200 grit and I was thru the factory clear. Couple more swipes and I was down to primer. I don't know how they get the paint so thin w/ good coverage, but I wouldn't reccomend wetsanding any scratches out. If they don't come out w/ a buffer 1st try, leave 'em alone (scratches).

Quick Reply: Patriot Blue - Anyone??