3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Parked My Beloved Truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Done the math a hundred times and it just doesn't add up to buying another car. By the time you pay for the car, pay for the insurance and the gas to drive it, the savings just doesn't seem to make sense unless you are planning on doing it for a least a few years or drive an insane amount of miles each month. I do 15K plus and it doesn't add up for me.

Even though the numbers don't make sense, the emotional side of my brain keeps me watching the used civic prices... LOL.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by SRMX
Done the math a hundred times and it just doesn't add up to buying another car. By the time you pay for the car, pay for the insurance and the gas to drive it, the savings just doesn't seem to make sense unless you are planning on doing it for a least a few years or drive an insane amount of miles each month. I do 15K plus and it doesn't add up for me.

Even though the numbers don't make sense, the emotional side of my brain keeps me watching the used civic prices... LOL.
I guess it depends on the numbers you're using in your calcs, and what kind of insurance you carry. If I totalled my '91 Infiniti I wouldn't even file a claim if I didn't have to. It's a throw away car. It cost $1800 and is insured for liability only which is virtually nothing on my policy. The Truck is insured as a "Pleasure" vehicle now which lowered the rates on that. Maintenance costs are much lower on the car while the truck doesn't need much maintenance while it's parked. At today's fuel prices, it costs $0.17 a mile to drive the G20 (25 mpg) and $0.32 a mile to drive the truck (15.5 mpg). Your truck may get better mileage than mine, but a Civic would also get better mileage than my G20.

0.17 x 15000 = $2550 and 0.32 x 15000 = $4800 for a difference of $2,250 per year.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 2003Ram
I guess it depends on the numbers you're using in your calcs, and what kind of insurance you carry. If I totalled my '91 Infiniti I wouldn't even file a claim if I didn't have to. It's a throw away car. It cost $1800 and is insured for liability only which is virtually nothing on my policy. The Truck is insured as a "Pleasure" vehicle now which lowered the rates on that. Maintenance costs are much lower on the car while the truck doesn't need much maintenance while it's parked. At today's fuel prices, it costs $0.17 a mile to drive the G20 (25 mpg) and $0.32 a mile to drive the truck (15.5 mpg). Your truck may get better mileage than mine, but a Civic would also get better mileage than my G20.

0.17 x 15000 = $2550 and 0.32 x 15000 = $4800 for a difference of $2,250 per year.
Sure. I hear ya. I know it's different for each individual depending on what their insurance rates/coverage are, the fuel mileage for both vehicles, what kind of vehicle they buy, purchase cost, maint cost, number of miles traveled, registration costs, etc, etc and am glad for those who can make the numbers work. For me and my situation, it doesn't make sense at this point. Still bouncing different scenarios off the wall though...
Old 06-14-2008, 10:43 AM

I should also add that you will feel a whole lot better when the pump stops at $40 instead of $250.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:44 PM

Look at the bright side, with 2nd cars our trucks will last us the rest of our lives. With a 2nd car and reduced driving I put about 7k a year on my 03. This will be my last truck. The RV industry will be gone soon. The world is changing.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 PM

Mines been parked for about 1.5-2 months now. With only getting about 300 miles to a half tank...it was killen me to fill up, plus i'm only 10 miles from work now. On a plus side, i have notice the shell near me dropped $0.05 cents in dielse, $4.68/gal now.

Bob
Old 06-16-2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by gerry
I have a little S-10 pick up... I have been driving it for the last few weeks.. Problem is with the 4.3 V6 it only gets 18-22 MPG.. Dodge gets 17 combined driving.. so for me the only savings is about 49 cents a gallon..

The S-10 won't run on anything less than mid grade at $4.51 a gallon.. Diesel is 4.99 a gallon. (the S-10 will actually stumble and die while it idles on reg fuel).
Why not fix the s 10??
Old 06-17-2008, 02:02 PM

It's costing me about $150 per week in fuel (although the price dropped $0.08 this week) so I told the wife I wanted something cheaper to run but she said we don't have the room for another car ;-) so I started looking at bikes for commuting. She said she doesn't want me on another "donorcycle" which is fine too, since that gives me reason too look at Harleys! Finally might be getting another one! I'll post pics if I manage to pull it off.

Anyone happen to know what a decent Road King is getting for mpg?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by FishingFather
It's costing me about $150 per week in fuel (although the price dropped $0.08 this week) so I told the wife I wanted something cheaper to run but she said we don't have the room for another car ;-) so I started looking at bikes for commuting. She said she doesn't want me on another "donorcycle" which is fine too, since that gives me reason too look at Harleys! Finally might be getting another one! I'll post pics if I manage to pull it off.

Anyone happen to know what a decent Road King is getting for mpg?
IIRC, my buddy's RK gets around 32-35 in town and like 38-40 on the highway.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drop about $165 every 2 days for diesel. Good thing I talked my company into paying for my fuel.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:43 PM

parked my 03 in april. I bought a 98 saturn that gets 33-35 mpg running the ac. Paid $1900 and insurance is $600. The truck was costing me $110 per week to drive and now the car is $40 to drive. In one year the car will be a wash an then I will save money, but if you include maintenance my oil change cost $20 total, rather than $20 for a gallon of oil.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by 2003Ram
I think another step to help with our current fuel crisis is to keep young/new drivers off of the road as long as possible - Like a federal law raising the age limit for DL to 18.

JMHO - take it for what it's worth.
I am not sure how this would actually help or is even related to the price of oil. It seems more and more kids are actually choosing not to drive at 16 anyways, but dont take the privilege away from our midwestern farm boys ( and girls, my wife included) that have probably racked more miles on a vehicle than many big city drivers have at 30, and probably a lot of that pulling a trailer or even bigger rigs than that. I do agree though that a lot of teens shouldnt be driving, as well as a lot of middle aged adults as well.

Sorry, on topic. I bought a Jetta diesel, $2k for the car, a few hundred for insurance for a year, and 45mpg. It will payed for in a little over 3 months at my current driving schedule. Plus I have already got it sold for more than I paid when I am done. It was kind of a no brainer.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by isu elvi
I am not sure how this would actually help or is even related to the price of oil. It seems more and more kids are actually choosing not to drive at 16 anyways, but dont take the privilege away from our midwestern farm boys ( and girls, my wife included) that have probably racked more miles on a vehicle than many big city drivers have at 30, and probably a lot of that pulling a trailer or even bigger rigs than that. I do agree though that a lot of teens shouldnt be driving, as well as a lot of middle aged adults as well.

Sorry, on topic. I bought a Jetta diesel, $2k for the car, a few hundred for insurance for a year, and 45mpg. It will payed for in a little over 3 months at my current driving schedule. Plus I have already got it sold for more than I paid when I am done. It was kind of a no brainer.

Your wife is 16?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:28 PM

Mines been parked and will be unless the weathers bad. The Harley is definitly getting its use this summer!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 PM

Joined the club! A Mazda Miata for 2,500. Quite a difference in ride! I tell people it's my wifes. ha ha

Quick Reply: Parked My Beloved Truck