3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Paper Thin paint WTH?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Paper Thin paint WTH?

It is up in the 70s down here and I had Monday off. I decide it was time to the spring wax job. I washed it off and hand dried it. I started inspecting the rocker panels and man the paint is thin on this thing! I am considering when I pay it off to make the first stop the paint shop and have then put a real coat of paint on it. Mine is silver and have always been told lighter colored vehicles have less paint on them but this is nuts! It’s not as bad as I make it seem but it irritating.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:23 AM

Re: Paper Thin paint WTH?

Originally posted by tfarmer96
It is up in the 70s down here and I had Monday off. I decide it was time to the spring wax job. I washed it off and hand dried it. I started inspecting the rocker panels and man the paint is thin on this thing! I am considering when I pay it off to make the first stop the paint shop and have then put a real coat of paint on it. Mine is silver and have always been told lighter colored vehicles have less paint on them but this is nuts! It’s not as bad as I make it seem but it irritating.
I have a two tone paint on my 2004 truck,Almond pearl up top silver on the bottom.I have not had any paint issues yet.I put the wheel well liners and mud flaps on from day one,no problems.I also live on a gravel road.Sorry to hear about your paint problems.coobie
Old 03-23-2005, 06:35 AM

It's not the color that made the difference. Mine is Garnet Red and the first time I swept snow off, the crust scratched the paint into the primer. Repaint is in my future too.
Nat
Old 03-23-2005, 03:59 PM

I think it is the color......I think the metallic ones are thinner. My Patriot Blue paint scratched and chipped if I looked at it wrong, my Flame Red is a lot strudier.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:46 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by Weatherbyman
my Flame Red is a lot strudier.
i agree. i have a few rock chips on my rocker panels but not as many as i should. my driveway to my house is gravel so it "should" be really chipped up.

so far, knock on wood, i have only one chip on the front of the truck. it's on the front fender right above the passenger side headlight. not very big but it is there. can't complain too much, it is the only one i have on the front.

britt

Old 03-24-2005, 05:59 AM

I second or triple that. I have the metalic gray, and behind the rear wheels is all torn up, but I guess living in Rhode Island, the home of needing 4 wheel drive because of how much salt and sand they put down, vrs snow, that tends to happen. I would reshoot mine if I had the money, luckly the boys at Dodge have a pretty good grasph oh my wallet, ah not too bad actually. Love this truck. Should have done this sooner, oh well live and learn
Old 03-24-2005, 07:43 AM

I know this might sound crazy, but I have considered having linex spray the rocker panels
Old 03-24-2005, 11:01 AM
dgm

I've seen trucks here with sprayed rocker panels....personally, I really like it. My wife doesn't think so...but it would sure protect it.

-daniel
Old 03-24-2005, 12:48 PM

i have a friend here who has a chevy truck he was having bad stone chip issues from the lower door skins down pretty much the full length od the truck on both sides (white)
he took it to a local rhino (or similar) shop that does bedliners and had the bottom 1/4 of his truck sprayed with a white bedliner material . looks good and the stones don't seem to bother it.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:14 PM

I looked hard at linexing the rockers. Most the Denver area dealers charge $500 but 2 of them charge over $700 depending on what you want done. I asked why they are so expensive. They both said because they know what's involved to do a good job like wrapping the edges of the doors w/ linex so the edges don't chip. I went w/ mudflaps for now but am seeing damage on my Mineral Gray paint after only 3600 miles. I'll linex the rockers in the future .. using the more expensive route.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:14 AM

Mine is silver metalic. The paint seems that it's not adhearing to the primer well. Hopefully we won't be in the same boat as chevy owners back in the early nineties , remember the white trucks running around looking like they had lepracy.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:29 PM

I must be alone in my experiences with the red paint... mine seems to chip off at the mere sight of a pebble.

I decided to wax it early last week and discovered that not only were my door panels all chipped up, but my hood was getting that way too. Right above the headlights it was particularly bad.

My truck is less than 6 months old. My 95 paint looked brand new 10 years later... if these keeps up the thing isnt going to have any paint left.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:31 PM

Mine's black and it looks like somebody has taken a long distance shot with a 12 guage at it. Paint coming off anywhere the body is curved towards the road. My 03 Chevy was no better. Black also, some punk hit it with an egg. Egg shaped chips in the paint.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:52 PM

go to plowsite.com and look at the picture gally
Old 04-19-2005, 09:51 PM

Mine is the Atlantic Blue and it will scratch and chip on near misses. I installed the Mopar mud flaps in hopes of slowing down the paint removal process.

Quick Reply: Paper Thin paint WTH?