3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Paint Imperfections

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Imperfections

I just picked up my 06 and after the first wash I noticed two spots on the hood, one about the size of a quarter and the other a half dollar, that look like the clear coat is cracked up. anyone else have any paint issues on the newer trucks
Old 07-24-2006, 04:18 PM

Ha! How much time ya got?!? Yeah, I've got the same issue in about 3 spots on the hood, as well as some scratches along the rail, where a fuel attendant scratched it with his greasy grimy carhart a week after getting the truck.. We had darn well not have the same issues the Dakotas had in 92-93, and Neons in the mid 90's... fortunately neither of mine though.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:15 AM

My Dad's '06 has problems in the tailgate. Looks like there is parts from a wool wash mit under the color and clear. Dodge said they would make good on it, but still a brand new truck already getting repaint. Hope it matches...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:35 PM

I had the same spots your talking about on my hood tailgate, and passenger door, go to autozone and get this turtle wax buffing compound and !lightly! buff out the spots, and youll never notice they were there, if I remember tonight when I get home Ill take a pic of the stuff I used....
Old 07-29-2006, 04:58 PM

This stuff works great!
Old 07-29-2006, 08:48 PM

Check to see where your truck was built!

If Mexico, then the paint quality is BETTER.

If the USA, then the paint quality is WORSE.

The reason - EPA in USA is dictating paint chemicals.

I heard the American workers don't take as much pride in their work as the foreigners do. I can't verify this but it could add to the problem....
Old 07-30-2006, 12:49 PM

my truck was built in mexico,and its going in next week to get repainted.The paint is bubbling pretty bad.I also have 2 1999's that are totally rotted out,all built in mexico.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by pet05
Check to see where your truck was built!

If Mexico, then the paint quality is BETTER.

If the USA, then the paint quality is WORSE.

I heard the American workers don't take as much pride in their work as the foreigners do. I can't verify this but it could add to the problem....

Not one bit of truth to that statement, in fact i pretty well take offense to it.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:14 PM

Ramstang -

You purposely MISQUOTED me by leaving the following statement out:

"The reason - EPA in USA is dictating paint chemicals."

Why did you leave the above statement out when you "quoted" me?? That was unfair. My original post at top had that statement as the REASON.

Anyway, the paint should be warrantied, so take it in ASAP. I didn't hear of any recalls so there is not a widespread problem with the paint.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:47 PM

My family has owned several cars in the last decade from all different kinds of manufactures. I believe my CTD has one of the nicest. Very little orange peel, thick clear coat, etc. The only car that has better paint is my mom's 06 BMW, which cost more than my truck did! My 99 tahoe had really thin paint and clear coat, and a lot of orange peel.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:51 PM

i feel if you buy a brand new truck and as soon as you get it home....wax it twice.................I think if you keep wax on (3 times a year wax it).....you will have a paint job that will last well over 10 yrs......plus if you can store it inside.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460
i feel if you buy a brand new truck and as soon as you get it home....wax it twice.................I think if you keep wax on (3 times a year wax it).....you will have a paint job that will last well over 10 yrs......plus if you can store it inside.
Very true. Plus, all new cars and trucks have some kind of chemical coating on top of the clear coat. You need to remove this coating and then put at least one coat of high quality wax on. And I'm sorry, but Turtle Wax is not a high quality wax. The best wax I have ever used is the "best of show wax" from http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1005&SKU=11171 . Expensive, but well worth it. If you use this wax you will need to wax at least 4 times a year, more if you keep it outside.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by pet05
Ramstang -

You purposely MISQUOTED me by leaving the following statement out:

"The reason - EPA in USA is dictating paint chemicals."

Why did you leave the above statement out when you "quoted" me?? That was unfair. My original post at top had that statement as the REASON.

Anyway, the paint should be warrantied, so take it in ASAP. I didn't hear of any recalls so there is not a widespread problem with the paint.
I left that quote out because I was only stating that you were untrue on the other statements, and I havent done my EPA research for the day to know if that statement was really true or false .
Old 07-31-2006, 09:41 AM

The whole paint job is an imperfection in my opinion. I have never owned a vehicle with such poor quality! The body dents easy and the paint scratches if you look at it long enough!

Joe