3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Paint and Body question - small rust bubble on roof.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint and Body question - small rust bubble on roof.

Any idea what the best way to go about stopping the rust, and repairing a 'spot' area on the roof?

Apparently a rock chipped teh paint on the edge of my roof where the windshield meets, and now there is a small rust bubble less than the size of a dime.

I've done a good amount of bodywork/paint on my mustangs, but never had to deal with rust.

It is almost dead-center as far as the width goes, on the leading edge of the roof where the windshield meets. It isn't obvious if you are not standing in the bed looking at the roof, or if you are not standing on the door sill staring at it. From the ground I couldn't see it...so the repair doesn't have to be 100% I suppose. My biggest concern is stopping the rust before it spreads further.

Any ideas?

Thanks
SQ
Old 12-29-2006, 09:22 PM

I would put a little dab of rust converter on the spot using a small brush, being careful not to get it on the surrounding paint. Once the rust converter has cured good use a little touch up paint over the spot. It may take a couple of coats of the touch up paint to cover it good, especially on white. The last step is to use a little scratch remover compound on a rag to smooth out the touch up paint after it has dried good.
I recently repaired a couple of rock chip rust spots on my wife's Pathfinder this way, and have had good luck using this method in the past as well.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:28 PM

kind of related to the subject......

anybody seen the dodge yellow touch up paint around? i cant find it in any auto part stores....
Old 12-29-2006, 09:37 PM

Check with the dealer, they stock most OEM colors.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Loco.Breath
Check with the dealer, they stock most OEM colors.
Loco,

The problem is that there is 3 tiny (smaller than a pencil eraser) spots of rust under the paint, 'bubbles'.

I don't think the converter when get into the rock chip and under the paint, will it?

If so, sounds great..as the rock chip that is the culprit is only about 1/16" circle, tiny little chip causing big trouble.

I'm down in the sand/salt a lot, and I rinse well...but I guess letting the truck sit over the weekend on the beach with the sea spray and all will take it's toll.

I usually wax the truck heavily to prevent the salt water from penetrating any unseen rock chips. Guess I missed the front edge of the roof!

SQ
Old 12-30-2006, 11:51 AM

Shawn, if I understand you correctly there are only 1/16th holes in the paint from the chips, but the bubbles are slightly larger, maybe 1/4'' diameter. If there is enough room to dab the rust converter into the little hole and cover the entire area under the bubble then it will probably seal it, and prevent it from spreading any farther. If not, it will require removing the paint bubbles completely so you can get to the base metal, but at this point you'll need more than touch up paint to make it pretty again.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:19 PM

i would take a razor and carefully remove all the rust then apply a etching primer with a small brush or matchstick. allow to dry then allpy touch-up paint ( from any dealer ) probally 3-4 times to get the same thickness as the original paint. if i still wasnt satisfied with it after that my next move would be to mask the area around it so 1/8 original paint is exposed and wetsand with 1500 grit ( to get the repair flat and smooth ) then use rubbing compound ( to remove the 1500 scratches ) and finish with a highspeed glazing wax. if you rent a professional power polisher make sure you tape off edges cause you can burn through them in a second , and practice on a beater first if you have the option.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:36 PM

I think I may have to sand/scrape off the bubbled area.

I'll try to get a pic of it to show what I mean.

Irritating!