3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Overhead Comp.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overhead Comp.

Could someone explain to me how it's supposed to work? I reset it when I started it up this morning. I took a 200 mile trip today and the overhead seemed to read the avg. mpg for a while at 18.7 to 19.1. As I slowed down later, the mpg's stayed the same. I reset it at that point to 0.0, and it started to increase, but would'nt get over about 14.5. I reset it again and it jumped to 99.0 so I hit the reset again and it went to 15.0 and started increasing back to 18.7 or so. Am I doing something wrong here? I read the owner's manual, but it's pretty basic. I've had the truck a week and still trying to understand how everything works. Thanks for any help.
Wayne
Old 07-17-2004, 08:05 PM

I don't know about the 04's yet, but my 2000 took an average of the last 30 gallons for the average, according to the owners manual. For the mpg when flipped to the mileage at the present time, I've seen mine from 4 when taking off to 99 when coasting down-hill. I have found that the average mpg was pretty much right on when on a trip at a constant speed with what fuel was actually used. So after a reset it is pretty squirrelly until you get a couple of hundred miles on the tank. As I understand it, the reading is for the last 30 gallons.
I ordered an '05 and don't have a delivery date yet, but should have one next week, it will have the latest do-dads except the power pedals came up as not available on the Laramie for some reason at this time. If it doesn't have them I guess I'll get a discount for the package. Jeff
Old 07-17-2004, 09:32 PM

Per the book on the 03's it states the AVG MPG is from the last time that it was reset. As you stated you kept reseting it so from that point it was giving you the instanious mpg's until you had some miles on it from the last reset. If you reset it prior to taking off on an extended trip or drive then you mpg's will show better than when tooling around town. The 99mpg was due to resetting it when you were coasting and at that time you were averaging that but it would change real quick when you put your foot down.
It's best to reset it prior to hitting the highway and then taking it with a grain of salt when you fill up, hand calculations are always better and besides it takes 3-4 tanks of fuel to get a more accurate mpg anyway.