3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Over 300,000 miles on 3rd gen. truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over 300,000 miles on 3rd gen. truck

I finally went over 300k last week, but it wasn't easy. Since right before Christmas I have basically replaced the entire fuel system, some of it more than once.

In Dec. I replaced the lift pump with the one that is in the tank. I am not impressed, this also screwed up the fuel gauge, I now run out of fuel at around 3/8 of a tank. Dodge won't fix it, say it isn't their fault, other people have had the same problem.

In early Jan. I replaced the CP3, then the high pressure relief valve on the rail. I put a fuel pressure gauge on right after that. Anyone else have problems with low (read that no) fuel pressure after you get below half a tank? I had Dodge check the lift pump and they say it is putting out what it is supposed to. After I run for 3 or 4 hours I have 0 or below fuel pressure. Dodge says that it is the volume that counts, not pressure. Not buying it, as far as I'm concerned, no pressure, no fuel. I put an auxiliary lift pump on, now I have fuel pressure. 16 lbs. minimum.

First part of April, I lose the high pressure relief valve again. Not covered under warranty, 12 month, 12,000 miles. I had gone over 14,000 miles. I removed my Edge EZ, don't know if it had anything to do with it, but it is off and will stay off. The valve was replaced and things seemed OK for a few weeks, then the truck was getting hard to start with long cranking times and also what I considered to be injector knock. Everything was checked out by Dodge and was good to go as far as they were concerned. It got worse and finally the truck wouldn't start at all. Got towed to the dealer and was told it was the relief valve again, at least this time it was under warranty, just 6000 miles on it. It was replaced again but the truck still was hard to start, long cranking times, I'm talking 15-30 seconds. (good on the starter) They said the injectors were firing like they were supposed to. I told them I wanted to replace them anyway then I found out what they cost at the dealer. I got them directly from Cummins, had them put in at an independent shop, saved almost $250 a hole on parts and a lot more on labor and now have what seems like a new truck.

I'll end this by saying that regardless of what some people say, you do need a fuel pressure gauge in third gen trucks, and also the in tank pump isn't what it is cracked up to be. The engine on these trucks is pretty much bullet proof, but the fuel system sucks. 300,000+ miles and the engine uses no oil and now that the fuel system is fixed, runs and pulls like a new one. I hope to get another 300K out of it now that I know what to watch for.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:22 AM
jka

Here's to another 300,000....
Old 05-14-2006, 11:41 AM

yea but that EZ doesn't help matters either...
Good to see another 3rd gen with some miles, sorry to hear about all the problems. hopefully now you got that fixed for good.
Just out of curiousity, do you run any additives with each fill up?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Surprised the injectors lasted 300k miles with the EZ.

MikeyB
Old 05-14-2006, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HorseHauler
yea but that EZ doesn't help matters either...
Good to see another 3rd gen with some miles, sorry to hear about all the problems. hopefully now you got that fixed for good.
Just out of curiousity, do you run any additives with each fill up?

I was wondering the same thing? Is their any magical potion you put in the tank?

I haven't been running anything regularly in mine. Just good ole #2.

I do plan to get a fuel pressure gauge installed, hopefuly this coming weekend at our N. Texas DTR get together.

And eventually I will replace the stock lift pump with an aftermarket. If it goes out for some reason before I planned.....I WILL NOT BE GETTING THE INTANK LIFTPUMP version from Dodge, thanks to this info.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:35 PM

the problem with the ez (from what i understand) is that when you are pulling heavy and have it on setting 3 etc. you are running high/max psi all the time...with that said i am impressed you injectors made it that long running that high of fuel pressure. when towing the ez should be off or turned down. long term the best box is the tst as far as being easy on things...but we are just learning this stuff and its too late for some. for those pulling all the time pull the pressure boxes the best way to get power long term is still no pressure injectors and tst box.

eb how many hours you got?
Old 05-14-2006, 02:18 PM

My new diablosport programer hasnt shown fuel pressure more then about 12000 psi hammer down and crusing 75 mph at 2400 rpms i wasnt getting anymore then 9000psi and thats on the extreme tune. Also im not totally convinced that the EZ raises the pressure to the point of the limiting valve opening. As soon as i get my test fittings from miller im going to prove it for sure.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:24 PM

To answer a few questions;

Do I use fuel additives? Yes, PowerService, probably not as often as maybe I should have, I do change the fuel filter at least every other month. (12-15K miles)

I have run the ez on the high power settings when I first got it but for the past year or more it has been set on level 2, haven't changed it off that in a long time. I ran the ez on the truck for over 280,000 miles with no problems until last Dec. Right now the truck has 300,865 miles on it and 6595 hours. That is an average of 45.6 mph.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This may sound like I'm knocking you for modifying your truck, and believe me I'm not. With that out of the way...

You almost certainly caused your own problem with the injectors. Like some others, I'm amazed that they lasted as long as they did with elevated pressures. Continuous high pressures probably helped do in the cp3 as well. As we're learning, the CR fuel system does not take very well to long term elevated fuel pressures. Somebody, I think it's DonM, has said that most all injectors he gets in his shop that have been used with a pressure box show signs of internal deterioration due to the elevated pressure. Now, the lift pump...that sounds like a bunch of crap there. I don't see a pressure box messing up the lift pump, certainly not making it lose pressure under 1/2 tank.

I don't think you can reasonably fault dodge for the injectors or the cp3 in your particular case-the pressure box is too well known to be hard on things in a long term setting.

Like I said before, I'm NOT knocking you for modifying your truck. Lord knows I've been known to do a few things to my vehicles here and there...
Old 05-15-2006, 11:40 AM

yea you ran the ez without a problem i understand that what i am saying is that running higher pressures all the time will take away from the life of the fuel system....this is not coming from me this is coming from injector builders and pump builders take it for what its worth

avg 45mph wow that has to be a record....i have half of what you got and only 75K which means mine has worked its butt of so far
Old 05-29-2006, 11:57 AM

OK, I got the report back on my injectors. All six of them were OK as far as getting a core deposit back, none of them were cracked they were just badly carboned up. When I talked the guy at the injector place he said that the leaking high pressure relief valve was probably what caused that. I guess the EZ could have caused that to fail but it didn't harm the injectors any, although as many as I had fail, I feel like it was a bad bach of high pressure relief valves. I wouldn't think running on level two, the first level up off stock would cause a problem with the valve. It didn't for about 280k miles anyway, probably 200k of that on level two. Anyway, I was just reporting back that all the injectors were rebuildable, so I guess the EZ did them no harm.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:50 PM

Congratulations on 300k miles, I'm at 228,000 km or 142k miles and only the tranny and everything within a foot of the flexplate has needed work. I was at my diesel guys place the other day and the truck there had 640k kilometers or 400k miles on his 2004 Dually. It was stock except for an AFE stage one filter. Everything in it was original except for the tires, ujoints, and brakes. It was in because the little cam that locks the auto tranny in Park was cracked in half. That part is available from Dodge for some reason. Better a new cam art the size of a nickle then idiot back up horns and lights. ks
Old 05-30-2006, 07:09 AM

I feel better now at keeping the EZ at level 2.

MikeyB
Old 05-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Banned

Edge Performance?

What are the Horsepower and torque numbers on the Edge on level two?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ronc
What are the Horsepower and torque numbers on the Edge on level two?
The Edge EZ for the '03/04 SO/HO Cummins is 50hp/180tq on level 2. The EZ for the 600 is a different box and it's 45hp/77tq.

MikeyB