3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Opinions on customizing Westin oval tube step bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions on customizing Westin oval tube step bars

Ordered chromed aluminum oval tube step bars by Westin for my '06 Quad Cab 2500 CTD. Put them on - but they overhang by a bit front and rear - I can slide them forward and back but they will interfere with even the thinnest mud flap up in the wheel well and overhang almost 7" behind the cab - across the cab-to-bed gap.

Question - they come in 75" as well as 85" (85 is my length and all the websites recommend this length for my model Ram). If I return these and get the 75" it'll cost me over a hundred bucks since they aren't technically wrong and they ain't broke. The 75's would fit though, and might be just a TAD short but that'd be better, as long as the plastic steps still match up with the door openings.

Other option - CAN THEY BE CUT? I can pull off the end caps and cut through the tubes but do you all think the chromed aluminum will rust once cut? I'd rather not have them rechromed just for this.

Anyone else ordered these - and what length did they get? THANKS!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:46 PM

I would probably cut them how you want them. I don't think chromed aluminum will rust, but I could be wrong. Seal the edge with silicone and put the cap back on, and you should be fine. JMHO.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:08 PM

How did you end up w/ the wrong ones? They should have sent the ones for your model truck. I don't get it.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:34 PM

Technically, each website I have checked lists the 85" as the step bar length for an 06 QuadCab. Some sites you buy the length you want and don't choose by truck model, which is what I should have done rather than trusting them. I figure there are other owners out there with the same length if they bought them the same way.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:48 PM

Well if they are indeed Chromed Aluminum they wont rust but I dont know if they are Aluminum?

I dont get how they are too long for mudflaps?? cause if they stick out that far in the front seems like you would have issues with hitting the wheels then?? As for the rear well its probably longer for you to be able to use the step bar to get into the bed and well you obviously shouldnt have an issue with mudflaps on the rear cause that would mean the step bar is going through your wheel/tire...

I mean unless im missing something I dont get how theres an issue?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:45 AM

Take a look at mine in my gallery. They are long, but I never thought about cutting them shorter, might not be a bad idea. I did have to send the first set back after about a year due to the chrome finish pitting, guaranteed for life and Westin stood behind them. Good Luck, let us know how they turn out if you end up cutting them shorter.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:08 AM

If you can return them, Get the oems from ebay. I just got a set for 325 shipped.

Trending Topics

Old 03-16-2007, 04:38 PM

We're having a winter mess right now but I'll post a pic of them tomorrow. They are the same as in eswartz's profile - if I slide them forward into the wheel well they get very close to the tire before the back end of the step lines up with the back of the cab. I'm in talks with the company about what they'll do for me. These little faces could sure get annoying if you use them too much