3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ok, what in the heck is this smell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, what in the heck is this smell?

My truck stinks. If I let it sit with the windows rolled up for more than a day when I get in it stinks. I a familiar with all kinds of smells(I have three boys)and I just can't put my finger on what the heck it is. In addition to this, I used the a/c for the first time today and man! what kind of smell is that? I have smelled sour evaporator coil smell before but this is a brand new truck! what gives? Anyone else have this problem? I am going to get a air freshener and some Frabreeze but should my new truck stink?
Old 04-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Banned

mine smells a bit when it sits in the sun w/ windows up, think its the foam in the seats ( what little there is ) letting off some gasses, a few of which might be "driver installed"

after a bit of wondering what it is I can't help but think about where it was built and what the hombres might have been smokin when they built it.....
Old 04-16-2005, 07:06 PM

The foam seats making that smell makes a little sense. Why in the heck it stinks so bad when the air is on is beyond me. The smell goes away of course as the air gets good and cold, but turn the compressor off and in a few seconds it is bad. There has not been any "driver installed" smells yet. I own a heating and air conditioning business and believe me I have stank up a few trucks but this truck is new.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:21 PM

Check your A/C drain to make sure it is open. You could also spray lysol in the fresh air intake while the A/C is on normal with the blower on hi. Pull off the grate over the fresh air intake to check for debris or critters.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Hemi Cat
Check your A/C drain to make sure it is open. You could also spray lysol in the fresh air intake while the A/C is on normal with the blower on hi. Pull off the grate over the fresh air intake to check for debris or critters.
Thanks, I was going to treat the coil with something. I will check the fresh air intake. I thought I had seen a post before on the newer trucks having a smell so I didn't know if it was common in these trucks. Never owned a Dodge before, but I love it!
Old 04-16-2005, 07:57 PM
PMK

Maby you had a rat crawl in your intake and die. I also found that the factory windshield was stuff stinks real bad.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:00 PM

I have the fix for the annoying smell:
Go to your local supermarket and buy about a 3lb red snapper and stick it under the back seat for about 6 days.
That should mask any other annoying smell that currently in your truck.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:10 PM

Fire retardents in the fabrics plus plastic smells etc.Kinda like a new MOBIL HOME.They STINK bad in the heat.Years back the fire retardents in the fabrics also coated the inside of the windshields and glass that made them all look like a heavy smoker had been in them.Over time this will decrease.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by PourinDiesel
I have the fix for the annoying smell:
Go to your local supermarket and buy about a 3lb red snapper and stick it under the back seat for about 6 days.
That should mask any other annoying smell that currently in your truck.

We have a winner!
Old 04-17-2005, 08:06 PM

If there like my kids look for that moldy chicken nugget under the back seat!!
Old 04-17-2005, 08:36 PM

I had the crank case oil smell with the ac on stoped at lights. Found the vents from the cowl area were open to the engine compartment. There another thread on this someplace, do a search on fumes in the cab or something like that. After I sealed those holes, I don't get the crankcase smell, but I still get the other smell like a sweet solvent when its been setting in the sun all day.
Still grinnin,
Mostanything