3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Oil drain plug stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't do the Fumoto valve, but I did go this route,

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....-DP-18MMPLA-DG

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....ber=EZ-TUBE-DG

It is quite a bit more expensive than the Fumoto, but I just couldn't get beyond the thought of the Fumoto hanging down below the pan. I know it would probably never break or anything, but with my luck I'd be the first.

With the EZ Drain, I don't even use the hose, I bought a large oil container at WalMart for $6.99 and when I screw the Drain tube end in it goes directly into this container, it's only about 2-3 inches from the container to where the oil comes out, wind has not been an issue as I'm always in the garage.

Good Luck
Old 12-17-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by matthewthemanpa
When I was trying earlier, the oil pan seemed to be flexing a little so I was afraid to add any more leverage. My torch is at work so I will have to wait until Monday to try that. Thanks for the advice guys.
Yeah... I see that all the time... Just a little more pressure and it will pop. Make sure the extension is in the plug nice straight and solid >> then put the pressure to it steady ( don't bang around on it)

Talk about flex... I have been seeing a LOT more flex in the new 6.7L pans... I think they are thinner gauge steel than the 5.9's. Has anyone here changed the oil in a Hot 6.7L? The oil drains out funny... Instead of a round stream of oil... it has a small rooster tail out the back side which can result in a BIG mess... Ask me how I know!

Oilguy
Old 12-18-2007, 11:07 AM

If it is new truck and the first time the oil is being changed in it, think about taking it to the dealer and let them do it. Let them fight it. If something screws up, it is on them. Make sure they don't over tighten it so you can loosen it next time.

Sometimes they run specials on oil changes and you can get it done for about the cost of oil and filter.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:32 PM

It's an 03. I haven't had time this week to mess with it yet, been too busy with Christmas stuff.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:21 AM

Thanks Hounddog. The torch worked perfectly. Only problem I had was the container to catch the oil could not keep up with rate at which the truck was draining. I didn't notice it until about a 1/2 gallon of oil was on my driveway. I ended up having to stick my finger in the drain hole, let the oil drain completely into the container, pull my finger out, let the top of the container fill, and repeat until the truck completely drained. I had the drain on the container all the way open and both the vents were open. Stupid Wal-Mart container.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 PM

Glad it worked.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by surfram
I believe it should only be torqued to 37ftlbs.
Exactly correct... 25 is a bit too loose, if you asked me. Kinda important that that sucker doesn't come undone.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:34 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Interesting. They must have changed the plugs or washers. My book says 25 and it was too tight so 20 or less for me. I guess whatever works is best. At least you can now change your oil, save money and have a better job done.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by matthewthemanpa
Thanks Hounddog. The torch worked perfectly. Only problem I had was the container to catch the oil could not keep up with rate at which the truck was draining. I didn't notice it until about a 1/2 gallon of oil was on my driveway. I ended up having to stick my finger in the drain hole, let the oil drain completely into the container, pull my finger out, let the top of the container fill, and repeat until the truck completely drained. I had the drain on the container all the way open and both the vents were open. Stupid Wal-Mart container.
LOL, same thing happened to me a couple oil changes back ... the method I used wouldn't keep up to the flow and what a mess. I now use a 5 gal pail ... it slides right under the oil pan and is big enough to catch every drop no matter what and also easy to get rid of ... quick and simple ... perfect.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:45 PM

I just won't mess with oil and filters at home.Haven't in years.I kinda stand over whomever does mine and have never had a issue.Always supply my own fliud and filter.I'd sooner pull the cyl.head off it here at home quicker then I do my own oil change and dispose of it.The tractor is bad enough to mess with at home.