3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Oil drain plug stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil drain plug stuck

This is the first time I've changed the oil on my truck. I've never seen an oil drain plug like this before. Whoever changed the oil last time must have really over torqued it because I can't get it loose. I've read on this forum that the plugs are a little weak and was wondering if it would be OK to put an impact wrench on it to loosen it. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 12-15-2007, 05:39 PM

Have you got a small propane torch? Hand held.Just slightly heat up the surrounding oil pan when its cold and not the plug and try popping it loose.Also fill out your truck profile so everone knows year/model etc.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:11 PM

I agree with hound...

The impact will work... but you can count on a big mess unless you are really quick to grab and stop the socket from spinning before it lets go...

Heat is much easier.... Also get a 3" or 6" extension to get your hands and knuckles away from everything... it will also give you a little more leverage.

I have only had 2 (out of the thousands I have done) that were that tight >> But I managed to get them with a small extension and a 3/4"x12" cheater pipe....

I once change the oil in a Ford L9000 with a big Cat engine that some <Bleep> tighten the drain bolt WAY too tight... I broke my 1/2" ratchet and bent my 1/2" breaker bar.... I ended up using a breaker bar and 3' cheater pipe and putting a floor jack underneath it... I thought I was fixing to break everything >>> and I thought I did when it broke loose!!! BLAM!!! Those days make me want to find the person that did it and the heck out of him!

Oilguy
Old 12-15-2007, 06:30 PM

I was worried about a impact cracking or breaking the plug.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You are correct. That is the fastest way to make a bobo is taking the sledge attitude. Be careful of the rubber gasket on the oilplug drain. Don't melt it or have another one handy just in case. If you make a bobo it will cost you an oil pan.......

Oh yeah, just a friendly reminder..... Righty Tighty, Lefty Losey......
Old 12-15-2007, 06:57 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I had to use a breaker bar on mine once. After that I started using a torque wrench to tighten it. Its supposed to be torqued to 25ftlb but I only tighten it to less than 20.

Oh, if you get bored, here are just two of the many posts regarding aftermarket drain plugs.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...oil+drain+plug

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...oil+drain+plug
Old 12-15-2007, 08:55 PM

When I was trying earlier, the oil pan seemed to be flexing a little so I was afraid to add any more leverage. My torch is at work so I will have to wait until Monday to try that. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:17 AM

Just a little even heat around it cold engine and then pop that plug.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those plugs really stick for some reason. I think if you tighten it to 25' lbs, it takes 250' lbs to loosen it! Craig
Old 12-16-2007, 10:04 AM

I'm not saying you are doing this, but make sure you are turning it the correct direction. Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty.

Yes, this is from personal experience, not on a drain plug however, and in my defense, I had just gotten off a 12 hour shift. I will never do that again.

Good Luck with the heat.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe it should only be torqued to 37ftlbs.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:41 PM

Yeah, I made sure I was turning it the right direction. I might have to buy a torque wrench to put it back on. All I was waiting for was a good excuse.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:24 PM
HOV

Fumoto! Take that thing off one more time and never again!!
Old 12-16-2007, 06:31 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

My book says 25ftlbs but that is too much (for me anyway).
Old 12-16-2007, 06:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Fumoto for me. Si!

Originally Posted by HOV
Fumoto! Take that thing off one more time and never again!!
I changed my oil at 3500 miles when new. The plug was barely on there. I tightened it a bit more,then refilled only to have a slight leak. I always wipe everything down and ended up retightening it more than I'd like. Fumoto is going in next change.

Quick Reply: Oil drain plug stuck