3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

OEM Tires.. Bad.. really bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very wierd. I've been driving Michelins for years and have loved them. Been driving snow and ice around here in WA state over the last little bit here with no problem, drove from Ohio to here a month ago across hundreds and hundreds of miles with car on trailer thru melted/re-frozen snow from South Dakota to Idaho and had no problem whatsoever. If the road looks iffy around town here with ice/snow I put it in 4wd and don't worry, never had a problem stopping or going.

Brian
Old 01-20-2007, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by silverbullet02
Very wierd. I've been driving Michelins for years and have loved them. Been driving snow and ice around here in WA state over the last little bit here with no problem, drove from Ohio to here a month ago across hundreds and hundreds of miles with car on trailer thru melted/re-frozen snow from South Dakota to Idaho and had no problem whatsoever. If the road looks iffy around town here with ice/snow I put it in 4wd and don't worry, never had a problem stopping or going.

Brian
No offence.........but, you can have them. The Michelins are no good for me to head to the farm or hunting camp.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Michelins were ok on snow, marginal in the rain but were better after I siped them, and worthless on ice or even frost. I am trying out some Goodyear Silent Armor Wranglers, so far they're a very good tire, and although they're severe snow rated (with a 50k treadwear warranty too) I have some studded Cooper M+S that are on their third season, so I use those in the winter. I always tell people that Mother Nature doesn't care if you have eleventeen wheel drive, 'it's the tires stupid' :^), as a lot of people in the Portland area have recently found out. LOTS of SUVs, 4wd trucks, Subarus, etc. sliding sideways, backwards, round and round into each other, while even both of our Taurus sedans have done fine with studded Hakkas, going up and down the hill that we live on. I took both teens out to practice driving in the snow and ice, while a fair number of SUVs and pickups were chained up.

Three sand tubes seemed to help, as the rear end didn't wiggle as much as with one or two. I still carry chains though, and have needed them on the smooth, water covered ice that we get around here.

What other tires have done well on the packed snow and ice ? A friend has done well so far with some 315 BFG A/Ts, but I've seen 4wd Jeeps with those stall on the steep street in front or our house and slide backwards on sheet ice. BFG M/Ts don't do well, as I saw trucks with those sliding sideways in parking lots.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrSlug
I guess I should count myself lucky I have the stock BFGs.
Not really. My stock BFG's were just as bad on snow and ice. IMHO I just don't think the stock tires have a big enough footprint for these heavier trucks.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Michelin is a great highway towing tire. But in inclement they have a lot to be desired.

MikeyB
Old 01-20-2007, 10:05 AM

I am a tire freaK! I had the opportunity this week to use the 4wd and I think the Michelins did great, suprisingly. I dont like the look of the Mich's but they beat the heck out of any BFG's I've ever owned. I've only got 650 miles on the tires as of today but so far no complaints.

Just a note-I've got the what I call the "very" limited slip option also.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:34 AM

Festus sent you a pm.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by GreyTD
Festus sent you a pm.

Replied back to you. Let me know.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:02 PM
J&L

the Michelin tires that come with a 2wd are the AS type [highway] which will give great milage for towing but when empty even green grass gives it fits. The ice we've had the last week makes a 2wd with a heavy diesel engine in front and no weight in the bed almost worthless. Even my neighbors 2500 Cummins 4x4 with the BFGs was not gettin' it done. She added a 1200 lb round bale with the front loader, tied it down and does pretty good here in the hills on ice we still have on county roads. My 2500 Cummins 2wd anti spin with the Michelin AS sets in the tractor shed when it snows/ice/sleets. I drive my old '90 chev 2500 5.7 2wd with 750 lbs in the bed right over the rear axles or the wifes front wheel drive LeSabre on the ice. Our diesel powered 2wd trucks with AS type tires are not the best on ice/snow/sleet packed roads especially with no weight on the rear tires.
JIM
Old 01-23-2007, 07:52 AM

Everything in this world is a compromise. No different than your tires.

The Michelins may not be the best in ice and snow but have superior life and no noise. Others may have better traction in adverse conditions but don't last as long and/or are noisey on the highway. A tire that works in the sand probably would be poor in the rain.

No tire can be great in all conditions. Tires that may be "very good" in all areas are also the most expensive.

The OP, other than having a 2WD, light in the rear, might be limited by the rear axle which is notorious for letting just one tire spin.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:44 PM

I have a 2004 305 555 quad cab long box 2wd.
As others have said..Michelin A/S tires great for dry pavement only and last forever.

Dedicated snow tires and about 700lbs of gravel in a crib between the wheel wells gets me arround OK in the winter.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:29 PM

All I have to say is look for side wall cracking, Michelin will give you most if not 100% even if it is VERY minor, then you can trade them for other tires. I did this on my new Megacab less than a week after buying it. The stockers were so bad on the snow and ice here in Montana that they had to go either way! I ended up with 285 BFGs that are 100% better then the Michelins!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:59 PM

Ha! I got Generals
I got the short end of the deal if I payed the same for them as everyone else did on the sticker.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Banned

Old man got an 03 ctd with 101000kms on it, hate to say it but he's still got his oem michilens on. I highly doubt if I'am going to get that out of my oem BFG's.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by scoggins
Ha! I got Generals
I got the short end of the deal if I payed the same for them as everyone else did on the sticker.

Just goes to show ya. different strokes for different folks.

90% of my miles are towing on the Interstate and my 03 had the General Ameritracs as does my 06.

had over 70,000 on the 03 tires when i sold it and the buyer looked at the tires and ask me if they were new.rotated pretty reguarly at 5000 miles

bought the warrenty on the tires from Discount tire when i got the new 06. have rotated (free) every 5000 on this one and the tires still look new.

Quick Reply: OEM Tires.. Bad.. really bad