3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

OEM Tires.. Bad.. really bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Tires.. Bad.. really bad

I am hugely disappointed in the OEM Michelins that come on these trucks. Buy a 40k dollar truck and the tires are horrible. Ice storms in Oklahoma are starting to subside and thought I would run to the Food store and get some groceries, since they are predicting 6-8 inches of snow tomorrow. Above freezing today starting to finally see some melting and I get STUCK in the grocery store parking lot. Had to get out and chip away the slush and ice on the parking lot so I could get traction to back out of my parking space. DC if you are watching maybe you can get some tires with decent tread on them from the factory.

Hub
Old 01-19-2007, 02:51 PM

I don't have a problem with snow with them. It's the CRACKING! I'll never buy another Michelin again.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:36 PM

they are a good wearing tire, i have over 74000km on them and there is still about 1/3 of the tread left, but that's about it. they have absolutely no traction when the road has anything but dry asplhalt on it. and yes I have notice the cracking also but I am probably way past any replacement.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hubmonkey
I am hugely disappointed in the OEM Michelins that come on these trucks. Buy a 40k dollar truck and the tires are horrible. Ice storms in Oklahoma are starting to subside and thought I would run to the Food store and get some groceries, since they are predicting 6-8 inches of snow tomorrow. Above freezing today starting to finally see some melting and I get STUCK in the grocery store parking lot. Had to get out and chip away the slush and ice on the parking lot so I could get traction to back out of my parking space. DC if you are watching maybe you can get some tires with decent tread on them from the factory.

Hub
If you think that tread helps driving on solid ice, you oughta try drivin a 4x4 John Deere tractor on a grade of ANY sorts while it's icy. Granted, you were on level ground, but deep tread don't help ANY when you're on ice. I slid the tractor down our driveway one winter about 5 years ago and if the loader wouldn't have been on the front of it, would have really done a number on the front end with the tree that I ended up hitting...ever since then, I decided that I would just let the Big Man upstairs melt some things before I attempted ice travel again...

Derek
Old 01-19-2007, 04:53 PM

I guess I should count myself lucky I have the stock BFGs.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:05 PM

hubmonkey, I'm in Oklahoma too. I've got the stock highway tread Michelins on my new 06 also. I'm getting around OK but I aired mine down to 34 lbs instead of 45 to 50. You might try that too!
And if you don't have limited slip - you really lose out with the stock Michelins.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by danc46
hubmonkey, I'm in Oklahoma too. I've got the stock highway tread Michelins on my new 06 also. I'm getting around OK but I aired mine down to 34 lbs instead of 45 to 50. You might try that too!
And if you don't have limited slip - you really lose out with the stock Michelins.
Yeah I need to air them down a bit I have them at 40PSI. I have limited slip but it was all spin. I did manage to get out of the parking space by doing two things. I put the parking brake on very so slight to force the limited slip to engage and beat the heck out of the slush with an ice scraper. got down far enough to get traction then. But the stockers are still horrible on my side street.

Hub
Old 01-19-2007, 06:00 PM

I know trucks down here in Georgia that rolled about 100k out of factory Michelins and bought more just like the ones that came off.They really liked them.My neighbor got 100k out of his factory Michelins(03 srw 4x4) bought more,traded truck and got 90k out of factory Generals on the his "new"dually(05 drw 4x4) and bought more of them also.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:09 PM

OEM Tires..

I just purchased my second set. They are great for where I drive, mostly on wet or dry streets, and have been good to me in the snow. I just got back from a 900 mile trip over passes, wet, dry and to -9*. I didn't have to got off the road or in deep snow but we go along ok. My son, who is a logger, laughed at them but his needs are different from mine..
Old 01-19-2007, 06:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you have a Les Schwab in town, see if they will sipe them for you.

It's not necessarily the Michelins, siping or studs are about the only way you're going to get traction on ice. I made it through several rough winters in the mountains on mine.

P.S. If you don't like what Dodge puts on a $40k truck for OEM tires, just check out what Chevy puts on 'em . At least the Michelins will last you ~50k miles (if they don't crack that is).
Old 01-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
I know trucks down here in Georgia that rolled about 100k out of factory Michelins and bought more just like the ones that came off.They really liked them.My neighbor got 100k out of his factory Michelins(03 srw 4x4) bought more,traded truck and got 90k out of factory Generals on the his "new"dually(05 drw 4x4) and bought more of them also.
If you know folks that want mine, I took them off with 426 km on them - all five are available and sitting in my garage. I find any factory tire useless - doesn't matter what make of vehicle.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:39 PM

Never convince these guys of that.After pricing "others"and seeing how well the ones that came on the trucks did they went back with them.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by hubmonkey
Yeah I need to air them down a bit I have them at 40PSI. I have limited slip but it was all spin. I did manage to get out of the parking space by doing two things. I put the parking brake on very so slight to force the limited slip to engage and beat the heck out of the slush with an ice scraper. got down far enough to get traction then. But the stockers are still horrible on my side street.

Hub
I had the same experience with the LTX-MS on my wife Yukon XL 2WD. I took the kids to the snow in the local mountains and the coffee shop parking lot was a little icey. Stop to turn into a spot and couldn't start again. Had to back down the mild incline into the street. I tried a 2nd gear start and they wouldn't grip. Other folks with "less" vehicle were doing ok.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Never convince these guys of that.After pricing "others"and seeing how well the ones that came on the trucks did they went back with them.

They can have mine if they want - cheap too. I mean, real cheap! The nubs are barely worn off of four of them (426 km / ~265 mi) - spare has never been turned on the truck. PM me if anyone is interested - can't talk price here - it would upset the mods.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:43 AM

They (michelins) scared me in the rain hydroplaning. I took them off just before winter. Only 25k miles on 'em .... they still look new, have lots of tread, no cracks, any takers?

Quick Reply: OEM Tires.. Bad.. really bad