3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Which OBD??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which OBD??

I have a 2003 Cummins HO. Am I OBD II or III?

Also, I'm getting code P0514 "Battery Temperature Sensor Performance/Rationality". What does this mean and should I be concerned?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2004, 11:49 AM

I guess this question is tougher than I thought. Nobody wants to respond...
Old 04-04-2004, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK....OK....I'll give it a shot.

You are OBD II for hand-helds. OBD III will work on everything, but is a dealer diagnostic version (big $$$).

Every code is cause for concern, but how the code is affecting your truck will determine how long you wait before getting it fixed. That code is generally not a big deal as long as your batteries are being charged. Put your key in, switch to "on" and wait for the pump to quit running. It should register at least 12 volts on the little volts gauge in the dash. If it is low, take the truck for a short drive and notice the volts during the drive. When the truck is running, the alternator is providing power. Volts should read 13 or higher while the engine is running, indicating that the batteries are receiving a charge. If one of the battery temp sensors is telling the ECM not to charge the batteries, then the alternator will not provide power. This will be noticeable on the in-dash volts gauge which will be about the same as before or a little lower once the truck is running if the alternator is not providing power.

So if the battery volts is low and the alternator is not charging them while the truck is running, then you have a problem and will likely be stuck somewhere when the batteries run out of juice. If this is the case, I would take it to the dealer. If you have access to an OBD II and want to try yourself, I would check the connections to the battery temp sensors as well as all other pertinent connections (see below), erase the code, and see if it reappears during a short test drive. If it doesn't come back and alternator is charging, call it good. If it does come back or the alternator is not charging, take it to the dealer. Your dealer can do a much more intensive diagnostic test and figure out the exact cause of the problem. Oh, and all this talk about the alternator charging or not does not indicate there is a problem with it. The alternator either provides power or it doesn't depending on conditions. The alternator will be fine. It just won't provide power if the batteries can't be charged since it can't pick and choose which parts of the system receives juice. It is either all or none.

The following is from the service manual:

"A battery temperature sensor, located in the battery tray housing, is used to sense battery temperature. This temperature data, along with data from monitored line voltage, is used by the PCM (ECM Diesel) to vary the battery charging rate.
OPERATION
The BTS is used to determine the battery temperature and control battery charging rate. This temperature data, along with data from monitored line voltage, is used by the PCM (ECM Diesel) to vary the battery charging rate. System voltage will be higher at colder temperatures and is gradually reduced at warmer temperatures. The PCM sends 5 volts to the sensor and is grounded through the sensor return line. As temperature increases, resistance in the sensor decreases and the detection voltage at the PCM increases. The BTS is also used for OBD II diagnostics. Certain faults and OBD II monitors are either enabled or disabled, depending upon BTS input (for example, disable purge and enable Leak Detection Pump (LDP) and O2 sensor heater tests). Most OBD II monitors are disabled below 20°F.

To perform a complete test of the charging system, refer to the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures service manual and the DRB scan tool. Perform the following inspections before attaching the scan tool.

(1) Inspect the battery condition.
(2) Inspect condition of battery cable terminals, battery posts, connections at engine block, starter solenoid and relay. They should be clean and tight. Repair as required.
(3) Inspect all fuses in both the fuseblock and Power Distribution Center (PDC) for tightness in receptacles. They should be properly installed and tight. Repair or replace as required.
(4) Inspect generator mounting bolts for tightness. Replace or tighten bolts if required. Refer to the Generator Removal/Installation section of this group for torque specifications.
(5) Inspect generator drive belt condition and tension. Tighten or replace belt as required. Refer to Belt Tension Specifications in 7, Cooling System.
(6) Inspect automatic belt tensioner (if equipped). Refer to 7, Cooling System for information.
(7) Inspect generator electrical connections at generator field, battery output, and ground terminal (if equipped). Also check generator ground wire connection at engine (if equipped). They should all be clean and tight. Repair as required."

Hope that helps.

AK
Old 04-04-2004, 02:45 PM

Thanks for that fantastic response. I'll check it out.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:57 PM

Volts appear normal both with the key in the "on" position and when the engine is running. The truck always starts fine and doesn't give the impression the batteries are running out of juice.

I didn't get a check engine light. I noticed the P0514 code when I ran a code check. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known a problem exists.

I'll take it to the dealer when I get a chance. Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:32 PM

Yeah, probably just a fluke. I think you are the third person on this forum that reported getting that code. For the others, it never amounted to anything. It would be nice if you could clear it and see if it reappears. Better safe than sorry I guess. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:10 PM

Now, where can I locate a manual like that? Definitely not your average Chiltons. I would love a complete service manual like you have just described. Can someone tell me where I can get my hands on one??
Old 04-04-2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by guidster
Now, where can I locate a manual like that? Definitely not your average Chiltons. I would love a complete service manual like you have just described. Can someone tell me where I can get my hands on one??
It is Chrysler's Service Manual. You can buy it on CD from your dealer's parts department or you can get one here: www.techauthority.com. There are several other sites on the web that sells them as well. They turn up on E-Bay from time to time. Occasionally, you will see where someone has posted a link to a free copy here on the forum, but you have to be quick as the Admin will delete as soon as they see it, understandably (copyright infringement). Occasionally, you will run across someone with an electronic copy that they would be willing to burn to CD and mail to you for, lets say $10, just enough to cover the cost of the CD, CD mailer, and postage.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:31 AM

quidster,

I also got that code. The truck had been in a garage overnight and then taken out and driven in sub-freezing temps. I think the computer got confused with the relatively warm battery temp. and the cold air temp. Didn't cause any problems.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:49 AM

if its ok with Admins, i`m willing to burn a copy of mine for you...you pay for shipping . if its NOT ok, i am sorry. PM me