3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Not quite sure where to dealership rant...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:29 AM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
To close out my experience...

2:30pm yesterday...

Adam, this is ****** Dodge Service. The tech didn't have time today so you'll need to leave it overnight. (Overnight = Friday-Saturday-Sunday, they have no Saturday service).

Fine Just send the shuttle, I'm not leaving it over the weekend. So the Blend door is done at least, right?

No, we ran out of time and never even pulled it into the shop.

Wait! I made an appointment 2 weeks ago to have specific work done, you schedule the wrong tech for Flash, but the right tech for the blend door and you neither done?

Correct, the tech that was to do the blend door is stuck on a check engine light that he hasn't been able to chase down. I can reschedule for our next opening.

No thank-you...I'll be finding another dealer that can actually perform the work in a timely manner.

Sorry to hear, well, we have the part if you change your mind.

I pick up my truck and the wheels are covered in Mud? ***? <Mods/Admins Sorry in advance if that abbreviation isn't allowed>
Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone been to the dealership in Tomball or the one in NW Harris County on 290 for service. I need to get some warranty work done and need to know which place is better. BB
Old 12-29-2007, 05:06 PM
DTR Detective

Mr. *****,

I am writing this to inform you of my experience with your Chrysler/Dodge service facility located in Walnut Creek, CA. I will try to make this easy to follow as it is quite lengthy. I start by saying that I am a recent customer of yours, previously I had the bulk of my services performed at Butler-Conti up until the owner passed away and the family deferred their business to you.

In late November 2007 I noticed a small coolant leak from a clamp on my Dodge vehicle, it was the second time this clamp had loosened/failed, it was previously addressed via Butler-Conti Dodge.

November 26th 2007:

I decided to stop by your facility on my way to work about making an appointment to have the clamp repaired. I was put in touch with your Service Writer Claudia who took my information and said that they were booked for the day, but if I left my vehicle for the day they may be able to get to it if they had anything open up or anyone run ahead of schedule. I agreed. She asked if there were any other issues that I needed addressed. I explained to her that I was due for an Oil & Lube, a Tire Rotation, a Fuel Filter change, my blinkers were working intermittently, and my Recirculation Blend Door for my AC/Heater had broken and fallen into the blower wheel so I removed it and needed it replaced. I stressed that these were secondary issues and the coolant leak was my main concern as it was staining my driveway over a 3' X 3' area.

Around 1pm I received a call from Claudia stating that they were not going to be able to look at my vehicle and asked me to leave it overnight. I was unable to leave it but agreed to drop it off the following morning and would leave it all day again.

November 27th 2007:

I dropped off my vehicle with Claudia and told her I didn't need until 5pm, she set me up with a shuttle to my work.

Around 12:30pm I recieved a call from Claudia, she was notifying me that the leak had been fixed, the Oil & Lube performed, and the Tire Rotation done. She explained that she was calling for authorization to change the Fuel Filter. The estimate was $160.00, I had already agreed to $30.00 for the Tire Rotation. I asked why it was so expensive and was told those were the going rates. I explained that just this past May of 2007 Butler-Conti had charged me $89.95 for both the Fuel Filter and Tire Rotation. She repeated that the charges are set by each facility and this is what you charge for it. I declined the Fuel Filter change and picked it up at my Local NAPA store for $17.95 and it took me 15 minutes to perform the job. Claudia then told me that the Recirculation Blend door was in stock and they would be able to repair it that day.

Around 1:00pm Claudia called to tell me that the Computer inventory was wrong and they did not have the part and they would have to order it, it would take a few days, they would call me when it was in. I explained it wasn't a problem and that I manage Parts and Service at Contra Costa Appliance and that happens to us on occassion too. She would call me when the truck was done being checked for the Blinker issue.

Around 4:00pm I was phoned that my vehicle was ready and the shuttle would pick me up. When I arrived I asked about the Blinker being repaired, I was told that the technician could not duplicate the problem. I explained that this is a common issue on these trucks and the only fault that can cause it is the Multi-Function Switch, the technician should know this. She replied that the technician noted I had a modified fuel system and that it was probably the cause. I told her that the modification is not the problem, the modification is in compliance with Dodge Warranty, and the modification was discussed and cleared by your Service Manager prior to being installed.

Since I was in a agitated state due to the Fuel Filter estimate and the Blinker not being repaired I left your Service Department with out notifying them that when I got in my vehicle to leave,my Dash was partially disassembled including the Glove Box sitting on the passenger floor.

December 14th 2007:

I had not received a phone call in regards to my Recirculation Blend Door coming in yet, I was quoted a few days and I understood that it may have been back-ordered, but I called to check status. Claudia was not available at this time so I spoke to another Female Service Writer (Sorry, I don't recall her name). She told me that she was not able to find any such order and she would have to research it. I was phoned back about 10 minutes later and was told that it was in stock and asked when I would like to schedule the install. I explained that I wouldn't be available until 12/28/07 since my wife is the main driver of the vehicle in the Winter months, she agreed to the date and it was scheduled, at this same time I added to the work order another issue I was experiencing. Since it has been cold in the mornings I have been plugging in my truck and using the Engine Block Heater, each morning when I start my truck the check engine light illuminates and I have codes P0514 and P0071. These codes are irrationality codes, basically the computer is reading that the Engine temp doesn't match the Intake temp and/or the Battery temp, it's not harmful in any way but annoying because if there is a true issue with the vehicle the engine light is already illuminated and the driver would be unaware of any dangerous problems, not to mention if there was a serious issue and I brought it in for service Dodge could decline the repair due to me driving around for months with my check engine light on which is to warn me of problems.

December 28th 2007:

I dropped off my vehicle at 7:15am and asked to speak with the Diesel tech directly about my truck, I didn't want to bring any of my questions to the Service Writer and/or Service Manager. I was informed that he would be in at 7:30am, I agreed to wait for him. At 7:30am Claudia arrived and brought a technician into talk to me.

I spoke to the technician with Claudia in attendance. I gave him all of the details in regards to my check engine light and asked him since he would need to reflash the computer (Latest Flash update from Starscan tells the computer to ignore the temperature differential) if he would as a goodwill gesture since he'd already be in the programming section,
enable my High-Idle feature in exchange for me having to reinstall my glovebox. He responded by giggling and admitting that he had left it apart, he then added that he wasn't a Diesel technician and did not know how to reflash the computer, and he had no idea what a High-Idle feature was. I asked Claudia again about talking to the Diesel technician, she replied that he was changing an engine out on a truck and wasn't available today. I looked across the shop and noticed he was infact changing out an engine, but on a gas vehicle. I asked why he was booked on a gas vehicle considering I had booked my appointment 2 weeks ago for the Deisel technician to perform. Claudia explained that the work order only showed the Recirculation Blend Door, which can be performed by any technician. I showed her on the paperwork that was dated 12/14/07 that it was clearly noted that I had a check engine light issue. Claudia then said that if time permitted she would pull my vehicle into the bay next to the Diesel technician and have him look at it, it was doubtful, but she would look into it.

At 2:30pm I received a call from Claudia explaining that my truck would need to stay overnight for the Diesel technician to look at it. I was unable to leave my truck overnight, especially on a Friday which would mean I would be with out my truck until Monday. I asked Claudia to send the shuttle to pick me up. When I arrived to pick up my vehicle knowing my experiences thus far and unfortunately already knowing the answer I asked Claudia if they at least installed the Recircualtion Door. She replied no, we didn't even have time to pull your vehicle in. I asked why didn't the non-Diesel technician handle the Recircualtion Blend door since you had scheduled it with him, he had already started the job on my last visit it's obvious he knew how to repair it? Claudia replied that he was booked for the day, he had a vehicle with a check engine light that he was having trouble chasing. She then offered to reschedule, I told her I was not interested in rescheduling and I was not interested in coming back even though it will be a huge burden on me to find another dealer since I work in Walnut Creek, I would rather miss a day of work for a distant dealer than to return. She replied that if I change my mind they have the part.

Why was I not notified of my part arriving?

Why was your only Diesel technician scheduled to work on a gas vehicle when my Diesel was scheduled 2 weeks in advance specifically for your Diesel technician to address?

Why was your Non-Diesel technician not aware that Starscan offers step by step technical help that would guide him through the reflash and enabling the High-Idle feature considering Starscan is widely used throughout the Chrysler line-up?

Fuel Filter change, Butler-Conti $69.95, Lithia Dodge $92.50, Antioch Dodge $99.50, ***** Dodge $160.00 ?

Why would your technician leave a customers vehicle disassembled?

Lastly, why would my tires be muddy and full of rocks at time of pick up if my vehicle was only moved from the service lane to the holding lot?

Thank you,
Old 12-29-2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by davidj54
I feel lucky to have a great dealer too. I call my dealer and they say "when do you want us to come get it?" I give them a day and they pick it up at the wifes work do the work and return it to her the same day. If for some reason they have to keep it overnite they take her a loaner to use till they get ours back. caost me $40 for an oil change. $100 for complete service including oil and filter change, fuel filter, tire rotation, air filter and chassis lube. Indeed I feel lucky. I hate hearing about people with dealer problems and wish everyone had a dealer like mine.
Now that is Southern Hospitality right there. If a dealer goes to that level to go that far, that is awesome. I can't say I've ran into a dealer that good. The ones I've dealt with are a bunch of Morons, from being stationed in California (Moron Dealers) to being stationed in Pennsylvania (Moron Dealers). I've had some good service at dealers in N.C., Ga, and Texas, but not as good as what you are telling us.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
Mr. *****,

Lastly, why would my tires be muddy and full of rocks at time of pick up if my vehicle was only moved from the service lane to the holding lot?

Thank you,
your tires were muddy and ful of rocks because the tech that took your truck to lunch mad to make an unplanned detour through the local mud hole to test your quadzilla. he might want to put one on his truck one day and really wanted to see if it was worth the purchase price.

really sorry to hear about their complete lack of customer service and hope that you find a better dealer soon. since they are as bad as they are i doubt that you hear anything back. and even if you do would you really want to chance taking your truck there again?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

The joys of a dealer bursting the bubble. Chrysler finds any way to **** a guy and the warranty.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Oh yeah FCA from Dodge= $243. One from Cummins=$93. I also got a thermostat from them for only $26.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All dealerships suck in one way or another, you just have to come to the reality that true customer service is pretty much a thing of the past. I avoid trips back like the plague, my blood pressure just can not take it!
Old 12-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Banned

First time I needed the fuel filter changed I had it in the shop for something else reflash or something, and I left it for a week because I was at work. Well I got back and they didnt change it because when they ordered the part it was $500 and they new better then that. Turned out it was the whole housing filter was only $13 changed it for free because of the problem. When I had my powerjoke I even took it to this dodge dealer because they are awsome. I dont have to call in and set a date and time I stop by and need something they just drop what there doing and get on mine buts its max 2 hour. I live 1/2 from the dealer so that makes it better and on some stuff if there tech is busy I just work on it in there and use there scanner and such. Even with all the mods on the truck they still warrenty it. But then there is the ford dealer in my town that is the worst dealer I have ever seen.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:53 PM

KMK, I think it's cool you're getting that much power out of your 6.7. Do you have to deal with regen?

Anyway, my ideal warranty would be like 12K/12mo and just let cummins warranty the motor for 100K. Then give me a better deal on the truck. I prefer not to mess with dealerships they are that bad. Their job is to deny, deny, deny.

And FWIW, just change your fuel filter. Pop the hood, hit the drain, mark your housing (if not done already), grab your new filter and wrench and change the filter.... takes less than 10 mins.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:35 AM
DTR Detective

Fortunately the owner of all the local dealerships is a frequent customer of my service department and our sales department. Whenever he has a service issue we always work him into our schedule the day he calls, even if we are booking a week out. I sent the letter to his office directly which is at his Mercedes dealership where we send his bill, I also sent the letter on my company's letter head and in my company's stamped envelope.

I'll post the response if anything happens.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 PM
DTR Detective

Update:

My coolant is leaking again, noticed on Friday 01/11...

Dealership called me today at work. They said if I came back they'll make everything right, they'll fix everything even the multi-switch that they can't duplicate, they'll also enable high-idle at no charge and have my truck detailed.

Not really a big deal...His Chevy dealership washes every vehicle that comes through. But at least I get the dang High-idle enabled for free that I wanted to start with since their first screw up.

To be continued...
Old 01-14-2008, 10:48 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dodge puts the "Cus" in customer service thats for sure
Old 06-09-2008, 08:47 PM
DTR Detective

Another update...grrrrr!

I've been asking/searching for months wondering if the dealer actually changed my Recirc door because I noticed no difference between indoor/outdoor. I never found/got an answer, but I came across a thread today stating that you can see the door if you remove your glove box and look up. I always thought it was deeper in the dash, hidden.

Anyways I pull the glove box and start the truck, the door is visible but doesn't move? I reach up and push against it a bit, nothing?

I shut the truck off, reach up again, guess what I find?

It's not even plugged in!

Plug her in and test, "Thar she blows!"

SBK happy.

Still don't understand why the recovered the system and recharged it if they didn't have to?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Banned

Did you ever get a written response on why the mud/rocks on the tires, why the glovebox was left out, and why the scheduling problems? Did the manager call?

--Eric

Quick Reply: Not quite sure where to dealership rant...