3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Not quite sure where to dealership rant...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:39 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not quite sure where to dealership rant...

A few months ago my Blend door failed...Several weeks ago my Multi-function switch started failing intermittently...A couple weeks ago my coolant connection started leaking again.

(Pre-rant) This dealership wanted $84.00 for the heater block cord which I got from Cummins for $19.83 including shipping charges.

I drive into the dealership with out an appointment, I know they are doing me a favor to get me in, but at the same time this coolant leak has stained an area of my driveway approx. 3ft x 2ft for the second time in one year. I'm very patient and I've never bashed a dealership before.

They say they can look at it if I leave it all day, that's fine I'm at work.

As we get inside, they ask if I need anything else. I said yes, but only if you have time, my main issue is the leak. I tell them I need my oil changed *Coupon* and since it's on the rack please rotate the tires, and please change the fuel filter since it's already here. They say we'll see what we can do, anything else? I said yes, can you please order the Blend door and the Multi-function switch and when it's in I'll bring her back to have those fixed.

The dealership calls me at noon that day to say that the truck needs to stay overnight, they don't have time. I told them I need the truck and I'll drop it off the next morning. No work had been done at all, no parts ordered.

A little upset because the coolant leak should have at least been addressed.

The next day (Today) I drop her off again, they call me at noon...

The blend door is in stock so we'll do that today and we'll call you around 4pm to pick her up, oh by the way the fuel filter is $160.00...WHAT?!...I'd do it myself but I'm lazy, I paid another dealership to do it plus a tire rotation and the total was $89.00? Well these are our rates. I tell them no, I'll do it. The other dealership owner passed away recently and they closed it and were absorbed by this dealership.

1pm I get another phone call, the truck is ready. ???

The blend door wasn't in stock, computer error, we'll order it and call you when it's in. Understandable, I work in parts.

I go to pick her up and I am told that they couldn't duplicate the problem with the Blinkers/Hazards. I told them it was intermittent and it's a common enough issue that the tech should know this and just replace it. They said that the tech felt it was being caused by...sit down everyone...My fuel rail mods (Quad S).

I had spoken to the lead tech before purchasing my Quad S about whether or not he'd have any warranty issues with me having it, he said no as long as "It" doesn't cause damage directly, he even mentioned that a lot of people have mods on their Cummins and he was fine with them.

To close out, I go to get in my truck and the glove box is sitting on my passenger floor. I don't have a problem with this except that they didn't mention anything about them wanting to leave it off until they get the part in, and why would you disassemble anything with out checking the part? I always open the part box to make sure it's not defective before disassembling anything.

Thanks for listening/reading.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please dont ever pay anyone to change your fuel filter again. you can call me and i will walk you thru it step by step if needed...just let it all out too, i know its helped me before

brett
Old 11-27-2007, 05:59 PM
DTR Detective

Thanks Rusty...I know better on the filter, but laziness had me at the time, this time it had me again until the 160 came up, I then suddenly gained the energy of 10 men.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:04 PM

Holly cow 160 bucks for a fuel filter? I had mine changed at a local shop the filter was like 20 bucks and since they change the oil they put the fuel filter on for free. Also sorry to hear about all your problems but I think I would look else where to get your truck worked on again. Doesnt sound like they have trained mechanics at your old place.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Most Dodge dealers charge 1/2 hour labor, about $50 and then the filter is $47 or so. Would guess that they are gouging you an additional $65 bucks orer the normal gouging of just under $100. Do it yourself. Filter is $13-15 from most Cummins shops and takes about 15 minutes if you have to find the tools.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 PM

that is insane!!! Some dealerships are a JOKE
Old 11-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
one of the local stealers here in town charge $180 for fuel filter and then turn around and charge $49 for lube/oil/filter. go figure. he told me the price of the fuel filter and i went right into the parts dept and bought the filter and got r dun at home.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Did they at least fix the coolant leak?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats retarded... fuel filter= 13 bucks+ 15 min install time... no way 160 dollars
Old 11-29-2007, 02:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the local dealership try to charge me 800 dollars to change the lift pump on my 01. They told me they had to change the FF at the same time. I told them to use the one sitting on the dash since I always care a couple spares. Long story short. I told them to look up the preious 3 lift pumps that were all replaced under warranty. They hmmm'd and hhhaaa'd. OK, but the filter is 80 bucks. I told them to pack sand. I gave them a filter to use. Then showed them the reciept from the last couple of filters I bought and told them I'd give them 14.95 plus tax. They said OK. Then said it 1hr labor. Told them if they need me to come in and teach their techs how to change out a FF I'd be available all day tomorrow. Told them I'd pay them for 15min. They said they couldn't do it. I told them tough that's all I'm going to pay. They say OK. Also they had my pickup for 10hrs and then forgot to call me after everyone had left. So called the owner and told them to call their service manager to get his butt down there so I could get my pickup. Sorry this wasn't a short story. I dont thing I've every had good luck with a dealer. That's why I'm thankful for the internet and the multiple sites with how to's and people willing to help when you need it.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:58 AM
DTR Detective

Originally Posted by torquefan
Did they at least fix the coolant leak?
Yes they did fix the leak.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:10 AM
DTR Detective

Well the dealership disappoints again...

I called the dealership on 12/14 to ask where my blend door was because nobody had called me. After 10 minutes of searching they found it, I scheduled the appointment for today 12/28 (2 weeks out). I told them that I needed the latest flash due to irrationality codes when using the engine block heater.

So I dropped her off this morning...

Me: Can I talk to the Diesel tech directly about my truck?

Writer: Okay.

Tech: What'd you need?

Me: Hey, I have a module on my truck, but it's not active so when you flash the truck don't worry about it.

Tech: Flash?!

Me: Well yea...Irrationality codes with block heater usage, while you're in there can you enable the high-idle feature at no charge since last time I was here I had to put my dash back together because someone left it apart when I picked her up.

Tech: Oh! That was me. I thought I was going to fix it that day. I'm not a Diesel tech and I don't know how to flash it, you're going to have to wait for the Diesel guy.

Me: What? That's humorous?

Writer: Well they have him scheduled to change out a Hemi in a 1500 today, you'll have to leave the truck overnight.

Me: I made the appointment 2 weeks ago with the description/instructions of what was needed, I come in and you have your only Diesel tech doing an engine change on a gasser and your gasser tech on my truck that he claims he doesn't know how to work on?

Writer: Well I thought we were just doing the blend door and he can do that.

Tech: So can I go now?

Me: Yes.

Me: Really? Because right here on the paperwork dated 12/14 it says engine codes P0514 and P0071, needs latest flash per customer.

Writer: Well, we'll see if we can put your truck in the bay next to the Diesel tech and if he has time *Doubtful* we'll try to get him on it or show this tech how to do it.

I told them the flash is 15 minutes and the enable high-idle is 5 minutes tops and your guy can call starscan or whatever to get step by step technical help.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:58 AM

wow .. i have a great dealer 10 minutes from the house. they treat both our dodges very well and have even offered to put in writing that some of the mods i want to do will not affect my warranty. the parts guys never charge me retail either. i wish you could all be as lucky as i am.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:15 AM

I feel lucky to have a great dealer too. I call my dealer and they say "when do you want us to come get it?" I give them a day and they pick it up at the wifes work do the work and return it to her the same day. If for some reason they have to keep it overnite they take her a loaner to use till they get ours back. caost me $40 for an oil change. $100 for complete service including oil and filter change, fuel filter, tire rotation, air filter and chassis lube. Indeed I feel lucky. I hate hearing about people with dealer problems and wish everyone had a dealer like mine.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:55 AM

My dealer knows all the mods I have done to my truck.
When my cam sensor went I expected to pay for it.
Dealer said no, fixed under warranty.

Quick Reply: Not quite sure where to dealership rant...