3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Non Union transporters

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non Union transporters

I have seen scattered posts about the transports getting the trucks from the train ride to the dealer.<br><br>My dealer is most upset about the same thing. They used to have Union Transports, DC decided to pull the plug on that and use Non Union Transports, now, they get the vehicles when the transporter decides he wants to send a mope down with a load.<br><br>And before you jump on my butt, yes, I am a Union kinda guy, it actually built this country.<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-18-2002, 12:30 AM

Re:Non Union transporters

Hunter - I agree with you about the unions sticking it up all of our butts lately - just look at the dock workers. Anyway, I was a loyal union member for 31 years until I retired. Whenever I'd buy something I'd first look for the union label and then the &quot;made in America&quot; sticker. What used to burn my butt when I'd be driving to work would be some young puke with a &quot;Union Yes&quot; sticker on his rear bumper while driving a Jap POS. When I'd get next to them at a traffic light I'd ask athem why I should support their union when they didn't support the UAW. Most of the time they'd look at me as though they didn't understand what I was talking about. Oh well, they should all watch the movie about the Bataan Death March. Even then they'd be too stupid to understand. I may pay a little more, but I keep Americans working. God Bless my friend. Hope we meet up on the road some day - if they ever find a hauler to bring my new truck over the Sierra's.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:59 AM

The union did have it's place at one time, now it seems to be we want more pay and less work kind a thing. What makes them any better then me that is self employed. And ya know if not for the union we may not have to pay so much for these dam truck, some puke gettin payed $30/hour to put lug nuts on.<br><br>Just my opinion guys, don't flame me to bad
Old 11-18-2002, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mopar Mudder you are right in that the unions have changed their priorities or so it appears, and being self employed is your right and gratifying. Unfortunately your statement about the cost of your diesel toy is some what misplaced as my Mexican built truck costs the same as yours. Those $30/hr monkeys are what allows you and your family the standard of living presently enjoyed by most of us. This Mexican truck is built by people who on a good day make a whopping .85/hr and that has been increased what DC says is ridiculous in order to keep those lines producing. So as you can see just like you being self employed, union or not we are all in it for the profit DC included. The union just allows a better work environment for the grunt that generates your profits, as a former line haul driver it is hard to care about your freight(truck) at an average $4.50/hr 12-16 hours a day, never with my family and told when and where I'll be. PK
Old 11-18-2002, 10:57 AM

;D Hmmmm.... Me thinks this one is headed for the &quot;Other&quot; forum shortly. ;D
Old 11-18-2002, 11:00 AM

Good points Kennedy, I forgot about the &quot;Mexican Factor&quot;, that is where mine is coming from also
Old 11-18-2002, 11:07 AM

My dealer said the old trucking company (union) in their area was very unreliable, they switched to new company (non-union) he said they are about the same, unreliable. <br><br>I also was with the union for thirty three years. Local president 2 years, local board of directors 8 years, state representative 6 yrs, national convention delegate 5 years. I've put in my time. Joining the union didn't mean I had to give up thinking for myself and what is best for my country.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:27 AM

I can see why people are going non-union. My father had been a union rep for the longest time when he worked for DHL, Braniff and now that he is working for United he refuses to. I do not blame him, you have to go to the board on vouch for worthless employee who does nothing and is never going to do anything.. <br>Plus is disconnects the employees from management. I have worked for non-union and union companiess. With the union you are either damned if you do or damned if you don't.<br><br>Just wait and see with the Safeway strike, when the union refuses to settle and everyone is without a job... The unions just want there dues theses days. <br>They use to stand for the way Americans could unite know they are a joke. Takes 8 guys to work on a tractor. everyone gets a tool. When there is to many hands in they hve to bring the foreman in... Hes allowed to use 2 tool at once.. <br><br>I am neither for nor against. I no longer pay dues.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:06 PM

We always tried to represent employees fairly. We never tried to protect someone who was incompetent or unable to do the job. They were entitled to legal representation and counsel which they got.

I can remember one case in particular where a woman became so emotionall unstable that her husband came to the union and requested our assistance in getting her on disability. The employer knew what we were doing but instead of working with us offered her a lump sum of one year's salary if she would immediately sign a resignation. This so confused the poor lady that she immediately balked and refused to sign anything including the necessary papers for a disability. Then the employer tried to fire her outright. In an administrative hearing, the employer's witness, her supervisor, gave perjured testimony and the final ruling resulted in her keeping her job in a somewhat protected status.

The Union tried to do what was right for this woman, the employer fixed it so she could keep her job and a result of their bungling.

Old 11-18-2002, 09:28 PM

Hunters mouth and fingers (zipped tite)<br><br>Don't want to express my opinion on this or Jack will be black balling me!<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-20-2002, 12:51 AM

I've had bittersweet findings with unions. As an electrcian with a previous electrical engineering diploma (3 years at technical college) I approached the I.B.E.W. and I didn't happen to be anyone's son so they told me to p@*s up a rope meanwile all the guys who were in the union I went to trade school with thier fathers got them in with diddly squat. I've tried to get in with I.A.T.S.E. (motion picture technicians union) with my qualifications into thier electrical department and they'll put some kid off the street with absolutely no qualifications ahead of me because he'll get 60 days working before me based on their dispatch? You know I've made it this far without them and my wage is lower than thiers by a little but if it wasn't for them we'd all be working for minimum wage!!!!!!!!