3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Noisy Jake Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noisy Jake Switch

Hey All,

I just had a Jake Brake installed by my local 5 star Dodge Dealer. I am so unhappy with them at the moment. When i drove the truck home it had a terrible rattle from the Engine brake switch located on the 6 Speed Shifter. It reminds me of my old 1970 GMC dump truck's 2 speed axle switch all it does is buzz and rattle.

I took it back and the Service MANAGER told me that its a long shifter and alot of moving parts are down inside that transmission and that it might rattle some. I asked him if he was kidding and didnt get much of a responce. I managed to get them to suposedly order a new switch but when i picked it up the switch is still just loud..... I dont know what to do its making me nuts and i just want it to be as quiet as the rest of the truck was before i put it on.

ANY sugjestions?

Eric
Old 08-07-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
There have been a couple of theads about the jake switch buzzing, and mine does it, too.

I've found that if I move the zip tie around, or move the wire around I can get it to stop.

Hopefully a new switch will solve your problem.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:02 PM

I hoped that a new switch would solve it too but it did not I friend of mine that lives near by has the same set up with no noise at all i am thinking of trying a differnt dealer or just a differnt style switch.....
Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rescue516
I hoped that a new switch would solve it too but it did not I friend of mine that lives near by has the same set up with no noise at all i am thinking of trying a differnt dealer or just a differnt style switch.....
The 'switch' does more than turn the jake on and off...IT has the LED, which is an integral part of the wiring. See page 25. You MIGHT be able to replace it with a plain switch, but you'd need the LED too.

Tony
Old 08-07-2007, 10:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I put a DPDT rocker switch and LED in the panel between the seat heater switches. That's where the exhaust brake switch is located on the 6.7's. It works fine and looks much better than the stalk switch that came with the Jake on my '06 (at least to my eye).

Dan
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 PM

Genos has the gear shift **** with the switch and LED built into it...
Old 08-08-2007, 07:02 AM

When I twist my switch to the forward side of the stalk it makes less noise. Seems like the more the engine "pings" the noisier the switch gets. I know ping is not the right term, but you may get what I mean.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wrap a rubber band around the pull **** and the shifter shaft.

MikeyB
Old 08-08-2007, 07:30 AM

This subject has been addressed on TDR. I was one of probably 200 chiming in with the rattle you speak of, and of course in 2007 dodge finally elminated the lever on the six speed stalk because of noise. You can tape the stalk with electrical tape and reattach the lever, wrap the jake brake switch with a cable tie or o-ring. There were a couple of guys that built switches instead of the lever on the shifter, but their instructions were way past the level of my electrical comfort... Also, FYI the 2007 switch on the Dash will not work with the jake on the 2006. Different voltage for the systems, though someone on TDR was making a work around.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 PM

at this point i have ordered an engine brake switch from my local international dealer. they are willing to let me use the dies to cut the dash hole and i am just going to eliminate the stalk switch. I have tried all the o-ring and rubber band tricks. I have a problem using rubber bands and paper clips to hold together a 40 thousand dollar truck.

I also have added a clutch switch like a big truck, its nice to be able to take my time shifting and not have engine brake on when i am just about stopped at a light and the clutch is pushed in. I am not sure why it was not engineered that way to begin with. I still love my tuck but i just hate that i can not get the quality of service or parts that i would do myself from some one i am paying for the service.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:45 PM

The switch is what is called single throw double pole. its function is to complest a ground circuit for the ECM (the first pole) and supply power to the led (second pole). the led is only there as an indicator. the brake will opperate independant of the ligth. A simple on off togle switch is all it needs to work. if you dont care about the light it wont matter to the brake.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:09 AM

I was thinking it was set up like that, but I haven't looked at the wiring diagram since I installed mine...
Old 08-12-2007, 08:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is what mine looks like:
Attached Thumbnails Noisy Jake Switch-dans-rocker-switch-diagram.jpg  
Old 08-12-2007, 10:14 AM

Looks good. Something that i am going to do. The rattle from the stalk switch is driving me nuts...
Old 08-12-2007, 10:05 PM

I like that panel i have a storage cubby there what did you make the plate out of and how did you attach it?

Nice job

Quick Reply: Noisy Jake Switch