3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

no windsheild wipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no windsheild wipers

i go outside this morning fire up the CTD and hit the wipers to get the mist off the windsheild and i had no wipers!

the truck is at the dealer right now, no word yet.

everything else on the switch worked like the blinkers, windsheild washer but the wipers dont move.

anyone had this problem?
Old 03-17-2007, 06:06 PM

Only problem I have with the wipers is keeping them on the windshield. They have a terrible streak right where I look.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rockram
Only problem I have with the wipers is keeping them on the windshield. They have a terrible streak right where I look.
there is a TSB for that.....

NUMBER: 23-014-06
GROUP: Body
DATE: March 8, 2006
SUBJECT:
Windshield Wiper Blade/Element Maintenance

MODELS:
All All All Chrysler Group Vehicles
DISCUSSION:
Windshield wiper blades/elements are frequently replaced unnecessarily. Because of the environmental conditions vehicles can be operated in, a film can build up on both the windshield and the windshield wiper elements that will cause poor cleaning/streaking of the windshield, and in some instances, a chattering condition as the wipers blades travel across the windshield.
Replacement of the wiper blades/elements is normally NOT required to correct streaking issues. A simple NORMAL MAINTENANCE cleaning of the wiper blades/elements and windshield is all that is required.
If the wipe pattern appears to be streaky or if there is chatter and no damage to the wiper blades/elements is obvious, the following steps should be performed:
1.Use a soft cloth or sponge & squeegee and MOPAR Windshield Washer Solvent (p/n 04318067AB, 16 Oz. bottle or p/n 04318068AB, 32 Oz. bottle), MOPAR Glass Cleaner (p/n 04897623AB, 16 Oz. bottle) or a solution of 50/50 alcohol and water, to wash the windshield.
2.Raise the wiper blades off the glass and clean the wiper blade elements (rubber insert) with MOPAR Windshield Washer Solvent or a solution of 50/50 alcohol and water and a soft cloth, paper towel or sponge.
3.Return the wiper blades to their normal operating position and function the washer system. If the wiper blades/elements are not streaking the windshield or chattering, replacing the blade assembly(ies) is not necessary. If the wipe pattern is still objectionable, repeat step 2 several times. If the wipe pattern is still objectionable, replace the wiper blades/elements.
POLICY:
Information Only

Disclaimer :This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:15 PM

anyone had this problem with a newer truck that has the TIPM?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:47 PM

Sorry no TIPM on my 05', but the windshield wipers did quit on me. Same thing- turn signals and washer worked - no wiper function, oh by the way; the emergency flashers are also part of the unit.
There are a only couple posts about 3rd gen. wiper switches going bad, but I garnered enough info to feel confident enough to replace it. Ordered the part ($54 I think) and about 20 minutes later it was changed and wipers were working. Now that I've done it once I could do it again in less than 5 minutes. Dealer said there was a "note" attached to the part number stating that if there was a truck in the Detroit area that needed it, they (DCM?) wanted to look at it.
I gambled on the self-replacement for several reasons, it was easy with the instructions from other members, that part of the warrantee had expired, and I didn't want to pay the dealer mega bucks to diagnose/change the part. Supposedly the manual states the steering wheel needs removed, NOT. Don't know what the shop rate (time) for that would be but at $75+ an hour I gambled.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:55 PM

what part did you order and replace?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:36 PM

According to the receipt the part number for my truck was 56045515AA the description was just a "Switch". The unit includes the entire turn signal stalk and the base it's fastened to and the emergency flasher button. List price was 58.48, net was 50.85 which is what they charged me and with sales tax it came to $54.16. The same part number was stamped into the one I removed.

This is what I remember: Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees counter-clockwise. The spokes should be at 6 and 12. On my 05' the steering column has a top and a bottom shroud. These are fastened by two screws on the bottom, one torqs and one philips, both deep in holes. After these are removed the top shroud pulls right up and off. The bottom shroud can't be removed until the rubber lever used to tilt the steering wheel is removed. The rubber part is what comes off of a smaller aluminum lever. Mine took a considerable amount of force, but grab it and pull it straight back - towards the steering wheel. If you're sitting in the seat pull it straight towards your belly. After this is off the lower shroud can be worked off around the littler aluminum tilt lever and the ignition.
The switch has two philips head screws that hold it in place, both would have been blocked if the steering wheel hadn't been turned. The wiring harness/connector has a red tab (locks the connector in) that needs pulled back towards the instrument panel before the harness can be unplugged from the switch. The switch then needs very mild persuasion to move to the left (towards the driver's door) in order to release the mounting pins from thier slots.
Reverse for install.