3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

No such thing as "high idle feature"

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 ******
PTO and High idle are same thing, maybe it is listed under PTO and not high idle in the star scan????
No, it's DEFINITELY listed under High Idle.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Yeah Paulie!
That made me laugh out loud...

I can't help it if I'm special...
Old 01-24-2007, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sakisaki400
hahaha.....well I went to the dealership today and they looked up stuff in the computer for 15 minutes only to tell me that there is no such feature. I tried to explain to them that it is a flash and that it can be done. Is there something else I could tell them like a number or something? They were acting like I was from another planet.
I had to tell my dealership what page it was on in the manual. If I recall correctly, I think it is mentioned on page 263 or 261 in the 2006 owner's manual. It says it can be enabled with StarScan tool.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by plessm
I had to tell my dealership what page it was on in the manual. If I recall correctly, I think it is mentioned on page 263 or 261 in the 2006 owner's manual. It says it can be enabled with StarScan tool.
Isn't it great knowing that these "know-it-alls" are the ones working on your vehicle!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by CD in NM
The high idle feature has to be enabled for a PTO winch installation as well. The dealerships shoud discuss this stuff with you when you purchase your truck and enable ALL the features that you want before driving off the lot. Seems stupid to have to learn about them on these and other forums and the go back to get them turned on. Service and Customer Satisfaction stuff.

CD
When you say high idle in the first sentence are you talking about the manual deal like through your cruise control? I called my dealer about that and they told me it was A uneccesary and B not possible. Just wondering?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:45 PM

All these responses about dealers refusing, saying its not possible, not knowing how to do it or wanting to charge $85 to do it is why I spent $325 on a used Bully Dog Triple Dog and did it myself. In general, the Dodge service departments are by far the worst I have ever dealt with.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:56 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
All these responses about dealers refusing, saying its not possible, not knowing how to do it or wanting to charge $85 to do it is why I spent $325 on a used Bully Dog Triple Dog and did it myself. In general, the Dodge service departments are by far the worst I have ever dealt with.
Speaking as someone who used to be a Dodge dealer technician, I am shocked and disappointed by the lack of knowledge some of these dealers apparently have about the product and their own jobs.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:04 AM

hmm my dealership did my high idle without even asking!! whats happening to customer service nowadays??
Old 01-26-2007, 04:42 AM

My dealership also had NO CLUE what the "high-idle feature" was. I had to show them...
Old 01-26-2007, 07:55 AM

I just had mine enabled yesterday after searching for quite a while for a dealer that would even try. I had already installed the ECM bypass pin to ground and when they enabled it and when it worked there jaw just dropped. I just said--told you so-- BUT-- they still could not figure out how to enable the fog lighs on with brights or the acc. on with key off features. Guess I'll start looking for that used triple dog again.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:19 AM

As far as I know, the only way to have the fogs and brights is through hard wiring. This has been confirmed by a few members here. The other stuff (like the accessories staying on until your door opens) can be done by the dealer.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SRTchris
hmm my dealership did my high idle without even asking!! whats happening to customer service nowadays??
I think we need to start a database of good dealers. I've been reading on a forum that Carson Dodge put up. There's a tech on there from the dealership that answers all the questions. I would love to have a dealer near me that was as involved with their customers as Carson Dodge is. Take a look...

http://www.carsondodge.com/Forums/index.php

Pretty good customer service.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:47 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by sakisaki400
hahaha.....well I went to the dealership today and they looked up stuff in the computer for 15 minutes only to tell me that there is no such feature. I tried to explain to them that it is a flash and that it can be done. Is there something else I could tell them like a number or something? They were acting like I was from another planet.
Actually you are from a different planet, "Planet Cummins".

Also I agree with other post, these dealerships need to have at least one salesperson that knows these Cummins engines and enable features inside out, instead of filling you full of BS you know is not true.

Tony
Old 01-27-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tony T.
Actually you are from a different planet, "Planet Cummins".

Also I agree with other post, these dealerships need to have at least one salesperson that knows these Cummins engines and enable features inside out, instead of filling you full of BS you know is not true.

Tony
I took my 03 in to the dealer in 2004, to see if they could enable it. They hadn't heard about it, but looked it up, and said they should be able to. They tried it, and found out that they couldn't on the 03's. They then tried to charge me $40 for their trouble. I refused to pay, because they were unsuccessful. They said I told them to do it. I told them I asked them if they could...............you get the picture. I spoke to the owner, and did not pay for something they didn't do. That was only one time I went away from that dealer's service department feeling sick.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:42 AM

On my truck, when the temp is at or below 30-32 deg. after the truck has been runnung for 3-5 min, it automatically idles upfrom the normal750-800 rpms to 1100 rpms and stays there for 5-8 minutes. This occurs even if it's been plugged in overnight. I haven't had anything updated in the computer as far as I know, must be a stock feature.
Chip

Quick Reply: No such thing as "high idle feature"