3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

No power to trailer brake 7 pin connector

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No power to trailer brake 7 pin connector

Been towing a boat since the truck was new but just got an rv with electric brakes. Installed tekonsha controller with plug and play wiring and no brakes. My buds 2013 truck works fine pluged in but he had to get dodge to do the computer. So I call dodge and am told you must have the computer programed which was b.s. I raised hell with them after wasteing 2 vacation days and than they checked the wiring. The diesel tech said my 7 pin was bad power to it but not out. he got me under the truck and showed me power was to the back side (factory plug connector) and said that is your problem. Well I just installed a new connector and no power to the brakes. I thing the same mooron who told me the computer needed to be programed had the rectangular plug upside down whwn he tested it. I get power to the 12v pin left turn, tight turn but not for the brakes out of the factory plug side with the controller full on manuel to power the brakes. All fuses are good, power comes out of ther blue controller wire but I have no wiring diagram to keep going. Are there more connectors somewhere along the frame that I can pull to check for power. I have spent alot of time and need to fix this. I seen a post on e-trailer where someone with an 06 found a broken brake wire in the harness along the frame. I need a wiring diagram on the brake trailer wiring and the rectangular factory side plug that goes to the 7 pin connecter. Hel p me please

Rock
Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does brake work when hooked up to a different trailer(Your truck ) if factory hook up, you have a fuse under the hood. do u have power going to brake controller and power coming out,
Old 12-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
The harness is only $37 why not just replace it? cheaper then repairing it.

http://www.mopar.com/dodge/ram-3500/...79271/40/3292/
Old 12-21-2013, 08:11 AM

I had brake wire fail numerous times along the frame rail of my truck, rocks must damage coating and then wire turns to green/blue dust, twice was were the harness goes over the front of the fuel tank. I got tired of patching it and just ran a new brake and 12v heavier gauge wires, 12v also failed, and noticed the braking on the trailer was better. On mine there was a connecter just behind the lower part of the drivers side fender liner. can't remember factory wire color code though.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:00 PM

Well found the problem an Dodge stepped up and fixed it for free. As you guys said if you did not have the trailer tow package the blue brake wire would have to go to the gray wheel well connector. I opened the harness and traced the wire fron inside the truck to the connector but the output side was plugged with no wire. Traced the electric brake wire from the 7 pin connector into the engine compartment wher it stopped just below the brake reservoir. It was never hooked up and this was a factory tow package. The dealer soldered and heat shruck it to the orange input wire to the gray connector which would of than plugged into the blue wire. Works perfect now. Thanks for the tip on the connector. It took some convincing but the mechs finally listened to what I was telling them. So now after two days at one dealer and almost two that I spent all is now working.
thanks guys and Merry Christmas.
Rock