3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

No LB Mega!!!! May have to buy a Ford:(

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bamataco1
I'm interested in what you looked into as far as the Ford motors are concerned. Because when I was looking to buy that was the main issue that I looked into and was the deal braker as far as buying a ford was concerned. Are you still talking diesel or are you concidering a gas motor? I test drove Ford,Chevy and Dodges all diesels and the Ford was a nice truck.
I know some Ford techs that were at one time very dismayed with the motor but as of late, have come to like it. They figured out how to do clean reflashes (that was one of the biggest issues actually) and are not seeing as many issues with heads, injection or control systems, in other words normal for any mass produced complex motor.

As far as I can tell, the changes for the 6.0 to the 6.4 are less than the changes planned for the Cummins, in 07. So the argument about Ford replacing it may amount to throwing stones from a glass house. They both seem to be driven by the new particulate filter regulations.

I still haven't decided to go with a ford and the looks of the Dodge are growing on me (though I still prefer the older ones...) but Dodge is not making it easy for me. Fortunately the transmission shop has baught me some more time with old Chevy...at least the last rebuild lasted 20k miles...sigh

Maybe I should buy the ford truck, the cummins motor and an allison transmission and .... or maybe just sell my house and buy a Ford F650 custom!