3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

No LB Mega!!!! May have to buy a Ford:(

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OutlawStorm
If you really really need a long wheel base mega cab, then find an 8 foot box and get the frame stretched to fit it, I know its costly, but if you need the room, spend the money.
The marketplace isn't going to do that when they can buy a crew cab long bed off of any Ford or GM dealer's lot.

Rusty
Old 08-10-2006, 01:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJC
OK, with that as a given, the fact remains that Dodge does not build a truck comparable in configuration or ratings with the Ford F-350 Tow Boss crew cab long bed dually. I don't believe anyone is arguing that Ford is the better truck - heck, we're Dodge/Cummins owners here. Rather, the message is that Dodge needs to get on the stick and compete with Ford and GM for this market with a truck that has the right configuration and ratings.

Rusty
Rusty's right, as usual.

Why can't Dodge just crank the GCWR on the 3500 up to 26K?

That's the legal cutoff anyway, so you might as well take advantage of it.

They also need to take some of the pork out of the truck to leave more trailer wt available.

My truck only weighs 6800# (sb qx 4x4), but a newer 3rd gen comparably equipped weighs MUCH more-- like almost 8K EMPTY!

So Dodge keeps raising the GVWR of the trucks. What good is that if you keep using more and more of it up?

My truck's GVWR is 8800#, leaving me about 2K to spare. I bet you'd find most new 2500 also only have about 2K to spare, even with higher GVWR.

There's no reason Dodge can't take the lead with come HD aluminum or composite parts to shed some weight and still keep strength.

As for COST--- well, people are paying 50K now for trucks with tons of OLD tech in them, they'd pay for a truly innovative and high-po package if it was offered.

I'm thinking that two huge carbon fiber I-beams would be a good start to the frame.....

jmo
Old 08-10-2006, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJC
The marketplace isn't going to do that when they can buy a crew cab long bed off of any Ford or GM dealer's lot.

Rusty
You can keep both the ford and chevs, i have driven all 3 and would NEVER buy a ford or chevy diesel in my life. i dont like getting 14 mpg empty and putting on 150,000 miles a year that adds up to WAY TO MUCH money difference Not to mention the down time when the trucks break down, How many chevs and fords do you see breaking the 500,000 mile mark without replacing the motor?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OutlawStorm
You can keep both the ford and chevs, i have driven all 3 and would NEVER buy a ford or chevy diesel in my life. i dont like getting 14 mpg empty and putting on 150,000 miles a year that adds up to WAY TO MUCH money difference Not to mention the down time when the trucks break down, How many chevs and fords do you see breaking the 500,000 mile mark without replacing the motor?
You're really missing the point. John Q. Public isn't going to buy a truck that doesn't fit his needs just to get the Cummins. Dodge could make the decision easy by putting a competitive offering (long bed crew cab with equivalent GVWR and GCWR) on the lot where people could buy it.

Rusty
Old 08-10-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN

There's no reason Dodge can't take the lead with come HD aluminum or composite parts to shed some weight and still keep strength.

As for COST--- well, people are paying 50K now for trucks with tons of OLD tech in them, they'd pay for a truly innovative and high-po package if it was offered.

I'm thinking that two huge carbon fiber I-beams would be a good start to the frame.....

jmo
Material like that will drive the price up too much. I didn't pay $50k for mine and wouldn't even for an all carbon fiber truck. The cost to benefit just isn't there.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN

My truck only weighs 6800# (sb qx 4x4), but a newer 3rd gen comparably equipped weighs MUCH more-- like almost 8K EMPTY!

I don't think that's even close to the weight of a 3rd gen-way too high. I had an '04.5 2500, 4x4 auto. It was a quadcab shortbed, and it weighed 6900 lbs without driver or cargo. It was an SLT, but I don't see a decked out laramie weighing much more.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HappyGA
hmm, is that the one that they said broke during the competition? I know one of the Fords broke, and was trailered home...
No that was the 7.3L, it blew a head gasket i think. One of the dodges also broke...
Old 08-10-2006, 02:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
acook-got to looking at your signature. One thing jumps out at me is your ET vs trap speed-it must be nice to have an automatic when dragracing! It takes about 35 years to shift the manual in comparison.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by v8440
I don't think that's even close to the weight of a 3rd gen-way too high. I had an '04.5 2500, 4x4 auto. It was a quadcab shortbed, and it weighed 6900 lbs without driver or cargo. It was an SLT, but I don't see a decked out laramie weighing much more.
Yep, the mfg unladen curb weight on my 06 SLT longbed quad cab is 6911# as listed on the title.

PTGarcia....isn't the bed on your MC 6.5 feet? If so it would need a frame at least 18" longer to install a full size 8' bed. I don't have the specs in front of me, but I believe that would make it a good bit longer overall than a Ford CC longbed...??
Old 08-10-2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by packard8
Yep, the mfg unladen curb weight on my 06 SLT longbed quad cab is 6911# as listed on the title.

PTGarcia....isn't the bed on your MC 6.5 feet? If so it would need a frame at least 18" longer to install a full size 8' bed. I don't have the specs in front of me, but I believe that would make it a good bit longer overall than a Ford CC longbed...??
I believe it's a 6.25' bed.

It depends on what you would call "a good bit" longer. To me 9" or so would be a big deal. And I'm sure they could find another 9" somewhere if they really wanted to.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
v8440- Yeah lol, and that was with my crap stock tranny. I think i can drop that down to a 14.3 at least. It does take skill to make those handshakers go, almost all of the people with 5 and 6 speeds i know that are fast have been shifting for 30 years!
My single cab 06 4x4 weighs about 6800, in comparison my brothers 1st gen(2wd though) weighs 5200.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:57 PM

I am 6'3" and I can sit in the back of a regular quad cab dodge just fine. Its my opinion that their quad cab is plenty big enough, and looks just right. Everybody gets caught up in this cab space thing, when there are very few people who realy need it.

Eric
Old 08-10-2006, 04:31 PM

I have a QC LB and I agree it's a long truck. There's plenty of places it doesn't go well due to size and turning radius. It fits in my garage barely. I have and inch to spare front and back. I think Dodge was trying to sell more truck by having the "biggest cab available". There's plenty of people who will buy them because it's bigger. The QC is big but I would have liked to have seen it a little bit bigger 6 inches 9 inches. I'd also like to see a long bed. I don't have much faith in Dodge building a long be they're looking to build a few models to take care of "most " peoples needs. How long did it take them to bring back the cab and chassis?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:44 PM

An 07' 3500, quad cab, 4X4, dually, 6-speed, SLT has a shiping weight of 7,267lbs. Thas is with no driver, not full of fuel. On most of the one's we sell, they get a B&W turnoverball(about another 200lbs), a spray-in liner, a set of mudflaps all the way around, and a set of mopar step tubes, fill up the fuel tank, and put a 200 lb driver in it and I'd say you sittin real close to 8k. I had a few 03-06's set up like I just described except with the box removed and a steel flatbed installed and full of fuel with me in it(I am 195lbs) it would scale 9,050lbs.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Luke S
An 07' 3500, quad cab, 4X4, dually, 6-speed, SLT has a shiping weight of 7,267lbs. Thas is with no driver, not full of fuel. On most of the one's we sell, they get a B&W turnoverball(about another 200lbs), a spray-in liner, a set of mudflaps all the way around, and a set of mopar step tubes, fill up the fuel tank, and put a 200 lb driver in it and I'd say you sittin real close to 8k. I had a few 03-06's set up like I just described except with the box removed and a steel flatbed installed and full of fuel with me in it(I am 195lbs) it would scale 9,050lbs.
Is that for the 6.7L?...if so looks like it gained about 350 lbs. of EGR, DPF etc.......

Quick Reply: No LB Mega!!!! May have to buy a Ford:(