3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

No Drill 5th Wheel Hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No Drill 5th Wheel Hitch?

Hello Everyone,

For you 5th wheel owners out there have you heard of this? I’m new to Dodge trucks and diesels for that matter. Just got my new 04.5 1 ton a few months ago, and ordered a new Pilgrim 5th wheel trailer. The Dealer puts on a new 5th wheel hitch for me but says they “Have to use a new install kit” for it. The Dealers says they CANNOT drill into the frame of any new Dodge (Per Dodge they say) or ‘Box Framed” vehicle for that matter. Instead they installed this kit that has brackets of a short that clamp to the frame in four spots, two on each side of the frame with bolts and the 5th wheel hitch attaches to these brackets instead of the using the frame.

Maybe this is ok, just never anyone talk about it before, anyone have any feedback on this type of install? Good or bad?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2004, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Pullrite Superglide has a "no-drill" rail kit. It's true that you should not drill the frame. However, I understood that there are very strict DC guidelines available for when you have to. My kit installed with the rear bracket utilizing existing frame holes and clamping on in front as you described. The rail system I have is completely removable leaving a flat bed with 4 holes in it.

Neil
Old 06-23-2004, 05:56 PM

Pullrite's no drill brackets are works of art in my opinion. Very well designed and they do use existing holes in the frame where possible. While there are guidelines for drilling the frame, I opted not to do that on my truck. I wasn't taking any chances.

Casey
Old 06-23-2004, 07:05 PM

Pullrite SuperGlide is the BOMB
That is the only way to go. The only drawback is you can't go and grab your buddy's 5VR for the fear of crashing it thru the back glass. They even make the same style hitch for long bed truck. The hitching system on these hitches are the best I've seen.
There are other brands of slider hitches that are much cheaper in alot of aspects, but IMO this is the best NO Hassle, NO fuss, Oops I forgot about that tight turn, now Ive got to get out and release the slide then lock it then slide it back up inthe rain type of hitches.
SUPERGLIDE is the ONLY way to go
Old 06-23-2004, 07:54 PM

Re: No Drill 5th Wheel Hitch?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slider
[B]Hello Everyone,

For you 5th wheel owners out there have you heard of this? I’m new to Dodge trucks and diesels for that matter. Just got my new 04.5 1 ton a few months ago, and ordered a new Pilgrim 5th wheel trailer. The Dealer puts on a new 5th wheel hitch for me but says they “Have to use a new install kit” for it. The Dealers says they CANNOT drill into the frame of any new Dodge (Per Dodge they say) or ‘Box Framed” vehicle for that matter. Instead they installed this kit that has brackets of a short that clamp to the frame in four spots, two on each side of the frame with bolts and the 5th wheel hitch attaches to these brackets instead of the using the frame.

SLIDER...You were very lucky....Most dealers are not that knowledgeable and will drill or weld or whatever just to make a sale....No way will I let anybody drill or weld on the frame of my truck.
There are several brands of NO DRILL mounting kits on the market. They bracket the frame, and are just as secure..There is no need to drill holes and weaken the frame.
My no drill installation kit arrived today, (UPS) Still waiting for the hitch. It will probably be here tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumb question but why exactly cant you drill threw the frame rails? I understand that welding may cause cracks but drilling a hole I wouldent think would cause to much more of a week point than in a conventional frame rail.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:23 AM

Thanks everyone, you sure have put my mind to ease on this, thank you! Sure sounds like that Superglide is the way to go for a hitch, wish I would have asked you guys this a few days ago. They put in a “Huskey” slider hitch, don’t know if that’s a good model or not, guess I will find out soon enough. Again thank you all!
Old 06-24-2004, 01:02 AM

B&W has a good system too, not to exspensive. It bolts up to the side of the frame. Also its universal if you ever need to pull a gooseneck trailor type.

I have heard from other post, that you can't drill on the top of the frame. Only in the sides is what some post have said.

I am like most of the people on here. I am not going to do anything to the truck that will hurt it in the long run.

Donnie
Old 06-24-2004, 01:17 AM

There is a TSB out from Dodge giving details.... it is on the Dodge Ram Info site...

Hopefully they don't mind me giving the link:
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/13-001-03.htm

Anyhow read the factory TSB and you will see that you can drill, Its just that they have a few rules about distance between holes, distance to top or bottom of frame.... and they don't want you drilling all the way thru both sides of frame unless you use a spacer to prevent crushing the sides when you tighten the bolt.
(so most kits have special bolts you pull thru from the inside)

Lots of mis-information about the new hydro-formed frames, I talked to a few shops & they didn't seem real sure about the rules.... so I tackled it myself. (and althought it took me some time, I feel better knowing it was done correctly!)

Defdog2
Old 06-24-2004, 01:39 AM

Here is a picture of the frame bolts that Reese uses....kind of hard to see because I have silicone sealer on it, but it has a knurled area by the head just like a wheel stud....

You drill the hole slightly smaller than the knurled area and pull the bolt into the hole from inside the frame, (note the fish wire they give you).
Looks like to me it's almost as strong as the original material once it's torqued down, forcing the serrations to bite into the surrounding metal.

Defdog2
Old 06-24-2004, 07:08 AM

I have the B&W gooseneck hitch on mine and it was a very nicely designed install. Only used existing holes, the rest was U-bolted. I know these aren't the same as a 5th wheel but they probably mount similar and the B&W is rated to at least 30,000 lbs. Probably more than most would ever try to pull. If they can give that kind of rating without drilling my frame, thats awesome. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:33 PM

Friend of mine lives next door to me, got the Reese 18k slider 5th wheel hitch, for his 04.5 Cummins 3500 short bed, he's pulling a 33 foot Tahoe (toy hauler) and say's the hitch works like a dream... he also had to get the install kit made for the Dodge...no drilling of the frame.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:52 PM

Since I have a longbed, I went with the Pullrite 5th wheel without the slider. The Super rails are Great. You can take the whole hitch and rails out and it leaves you with a clean bed...except for the 4 holes for the pins that attach to the frame. Works awsome!
Old 06-24-2004, 09:18 PM

Red1ton,

Could you ask your friend for the reese part # for the no-drill kit?
I emailed them a few months ago and they told me I had to use their kit where you drill thru one side of the frame....

I just checked their website and can't find any mention of a no -drill kit.
(I too have a 4.5 3500 & had to use a special kit due to the overloads that was an extra $70! But I still had to drill.)

I know that Pullrite has a no drill install kit, but it would be great to be able to get one for Reese!!!!

Thanks, Defdog2
Old 06-24-2004, 09:19 PM

I had just e-mailed Pull-rite asking what I need for my truck in the line of rails. Have not heard back from them yet. Have a 2004 3500 LWB duel rear wheels 2 wheel drive. Looking at putting the Advanced Air rider hitch in.

Quick Reply: No Drill 5th Wheel Hitch?