3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

No cold air from pass.side vents?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it does.Not anywhere like it did.I think STAR saying UP to 12 degrees differance is as bad as G.M. saying 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles in a NORTH STAR is ok.Its to get folks off their backs.A few dregrees I could understand but up to 12!
Old 08-07-2004, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I don't buy that 12 degrees difference either. But, if adding a little freon does the trick, great. I believe a lot of these trucks are shipped from the factory slightly low on freon, just like our rear ends.

MikeyB
Old 08-07-2004, 02:03 PM

I think your correct.Ther service writer said he's seen a bunch low on gas.It took care of mine.My neighbors 03 just started blowing mist and freezing up in the past month.Blows cold,blows vapor and then makes lots of noise and no flow.Turn it off and wait 4/5 minutes,dumps a ton of water then blows cold again.his just started this.Bet its low also.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:12 AM

Well I told everyone I would keep them posted. I went to the dealer on Friday. It does the same thing. The passenger side will cycle from cold to cool. The tech rode with me and it has a 10 to 12 degree swing even with temps in the low 80's with low humidity. He says the will call STAR on Monday. Even the tech says there is nothing that should cause this becuase both sides get the cold air from the same point and that the blend doors are controlled by the same motor on one actuator rod. Updates will follow.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:57 PM

Bump - I just noticed this on my 2003. Did any of you guys figure out what the fix was?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:04 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Had this happen twice on mine and both times the cause was low freon. There has been numerous posts about this same problem in the past and from memory the cause each time was low freon. Last time I took it in the dealer found a pinhole in condenser and had to replace it. (replaced the pinhole with a new pinhole)
Old 07-13-2007, 10:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You dug up an old one here!!!!! Read this one. The fix is in it.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...passenger+side.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:12 AM

Mine started freezing up as well as blowing warm air from the passenger side. Took it to the dealer several months ago and they replaced the condenser due to a leak. It was better when I got it back up once the weather got warmer, the problem was still there. Two weekends ago I added R-134A to get the suction side pressure up to 45 psig (max pressure at 90F outdoor temp based on the service manual). Now there is no freeze up and the passenger side is just as cold as the driver's side.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the link to that old post Spooler, that's a bunch of reading there! I'm going to start with seeing if it just needs some more freon, a buddy of mine has the gauges and equipment to check the pressures and all. If that don't work out then at least I have all the research & PN's you guys used.

Thanks! John
Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 AM

Spooler, thanx for the link and all that info. Will proceed to have 05-06 condenser and orifice and line done if I have to live at the dealer.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:50 PM

We put one full can in it today, that brought the pressures up to normal. Works a ton better now, you can still notice a little difference between driver/pass side temps at times like at idle but it's a huge improvement.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:28 PM
PCM

Ok. I had to have the recirculate door on the hvac replaced just like many other guys. Fortunately, when mine went, the hvac control was in the dash vent mode - just stuck on recirculate. So I had good cooling in the July FL heat. That was done about 6 weeks ago and all has worked very well (just like before the issue) until TODAY! The 06 has 4 dash vents and the 2 on the driver side cool just like before - very well. The output of the passenger side vents is equal to the driver side, however, the temperture is not near as cold. I do not have the individual temperature controls on my truck. I did not have this issue before OR after the recirculate door repair. It just started today out of the blue. I have read that some say the system needs to be recharged. I can't imagine that since all the air is coming from one place and its cold on the driver side. Also, the first detent in the control **** to mix the flow with the floor does not affect it. The next step (the midway point between the dash vent and floor vent) works OK. Anyone else have this same issue. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS. PCM
Old 09-23-2007, 04:30 AM

It's easy to check. Go to your local auto parts place and you can get a can of refrigerant with a pressure gage. You can check the suction pressure and recharge if necessary.

While I have an '03, mine would freeze up and the passenger side was warmer than the driver side. Adding refrigerant and the problems went away.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:01 PM
PCM

Drove the truck today on the interstate 60 miles round trip. A/c ice cold on drivers side, even OFF recirculate mode. Cool to almost warm on the 2 passenger side vents. The control **** moves the air diverter to all the various outlest including recirculate mode. It just does not allow for the 2/3-dash 1/3 floor vents. Only half mode. This never started till just this past Saturday. I have already had the recirculate door fix done after it stuck to recirculate on the dash vents. All was fine and back to noraml after the fix until now. Still can't see how freon can fix it when it is ice cold on the drivers side.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:50 AM

Get a gage and check the suction pressure. It's relatively cheap but I'll bet you're low.

I don't know how refrigerant is supplied to the coil, the coil's design or how air is supplied/discharged from the coil. All of these would have a factor in one side being warmer than the other. Once the refrigerant boils and is a vapor, it's ability to cool is almost gone. A low refrigerant level will have the refrigerant boiling off earlier in the evaporator leaving more of the coil with vapor in it. Too much refrigerant will have liquid refrigerant leaving the coil going back to the compressor. Hard to compress a liquid and not good for the compressor.