3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Nitto Dura Grapplers caused my death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto Dura Grapplers caused my death wobble

This is a new thread I am creating after resolving my death wobble. Basically after replacing my steering with the dodge upgrade, new Radflo steering stabilizer, new adj. track bar, and ball joints I still had death wobble. I had a front end alignment done, and had the tires balanced. Still had death wobble. Over the weekend I changed back to my Pro-comp extreme AT's with 20% tread life and severely cupped. I went on a 250 mile road trip and had zero problems going over highway construction areas etc. I feel that the dura grapplers must have been the problem.

I contact Nitto to find out what they had to say. They sent me a link to dealers in my area and a link to their warranty page. When I called them, they wouldn't talk to me on the phone and just told me someone would email me back.

I then contacted the closest NTB to me and explained everything to them. The girl said that her brother had the same problem on his dodge ram after about 1,000 miles. His friend had the same problem on his F250 after about 6k miles. When she contacted Nitto about the two problems they basically told her they are SOL.

Now I guess I will look for some Toyo Open country AT's or maybe the Hankook dynapro's.

Just thought I would let you guys know how Nitto has dealt with it.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got about 2000 miles on my Dura's right now and they are as smooth as glass and I've done every you have except for ball joints... and I need them. I need to know what ball joints you went with because MANY guys are having problems with new joints... My guess is it isn't the tires and it's your joints or something similar.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:57 PM

I went to O'rileys for ball joints. I did the Moogs for either the upper or lower and their other brand for the opposite. I can't remember what was what. Moog only had one set though. I had to by the cheaper for the other set. My ball joints are still good. The Dura's are super smooth, quiet, good in rain, etc. I hit a wierd bump though and it goes into death wobble. The Pro-comps handled all bumps and expansion joints awesome for my 250 mile trip doing about 75-80mph.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand and it's never a cut and dried answer and every truck is different. I suggest you do a search here and read how many threads include those who have had big problems with Moog ball joints. Many guys had to replace their brand new Moogs with Dodge parts as that was the only economical solution. Other solutions are Carli or Dynatrac but prepare to spend $$$. XRF or Norris-Mcquay are about the only ones I have heard are viable options that don't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Blake gave me an "A" for effort!

I have almost 3,000 miles on my Durra Grapplers with a totally stock front suspension and have had ZERO issues what-so-ever. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on things though.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:16 AM
GSW

I have about 5k on my Dura Grapplers with no DW problems. All stock suspension though. Honestly, my first thought is to recheck the ball joints. It seems you get what you pay for with BJs in these trucks. My stockers are almost worn out (34k miles) and I'm planning to go with Carli uppers & lowers.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:10 PM

Well the first set of stock ball joints lasted me 75k and they were not all bad, I just decided to replace all of them. The reason I didn't do the Carli's is that they did not have both upper and lower out. The XRF's were not talked about or heard of at the time. Also I don't think the Dynatrac were around either. I also did the balljoints myself so they didn't cost me much and I believe they are lifetime warranty through O'Rileys. So I though I would replace them for now until carli had a whole set out or something new came out.

While some of you may not be having problems with your dura grapplers, I didn't either for the first 13k or so miles. Then all of the sudden I had it occur. This isn't the first vehicle I have experienced death wobble on. Their are four Jeeps in my family also and we have experienced it with two of them. The one happened because their was so much mud in the wheels that is was obiviusly out of balance driving down the street. The other Jeep had bad tires/wheels. We replaced the tires on it and the death wobble went away. Never experience it again even after going through multiple sets of tires.

My opinion is that while our trucks may be inclined to go into death wobble given their solid axle design, it does not necessarily mean something is worn out. It could just be a bad set of tires. This doesn't make it right that Dodge or Jeep shouldn't come up with a new design or do something about it.

If you still dont believe that the tires may be the problem and its the balljoints, how do you explain the old procomps making the death wobble go away?

Please don't take any of this the wrong way.

Thanks, for all the replies though.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:13 PM

I have almost 42,000 miles on my dura grapplers and have had no problems with them what so ever. I am getting ready to replace them at the beginning of the month. Best wearing tire I have had on the truck so far.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:53 PM

As has been said many times, there are many, many causes for DW. What causes yours might not cause mine and what fixes yours might not fix mine. Also if you read everyone of the threads, on this fourm and others, regarding DW I don't think you will be able to identify one particular cause nor one particular cure in every case. Many people have said that they have found that BFG tires, generally size 315 have caused their DW, however just as many people with those same size tires say they have never experienced DW in their trucks. One explaination might be that some of the larger tires' sidewall is not as stiff as others which will allow the tire to flex more when DW starts. I know two things about DW for sure---you will never forget how it feels and the changes in your body that it products(I call it the pucker factor) and you will always hold the steering wheel a little tighter than before even after you think you fixed it!
Jay
Old 10-27-2009, 06:19 PM

What is the tire size differance between the dura-grapplers and the pro-comps? If there is a significant size differance then your steering angle is changed from the alignment and that caused your death wobble. i am not going to say its impossible that tires gave you death wobble but it is highly unlikely. Death wobble has to do with your steering articulation and worn out ball joints not tires.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 PM

I think it could also just be the way the tires are gripping the ground, maybe the wore out tires are just more forgiving and not letting the dw get started. Just an idea. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:25 PM

It could be that specific set of tires. I had the same problem with a set of BFGs, switched to Goodyears, and no DW. I now have a new set of BFGs and still no DW. There might be something wrong internally on one or more of the tires causing the problem.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:54 PM

well i have to say i have yet to experience the wobble till the other night. I have run my truck on worn out tires a while and finally put some 285/70/17 nitto terra grapplers on my truck that i got from a friend. All had been fine for a while and then i put a 2.5 level kit, and changed my front shocks. Then the other night on a bridge i experienced what had to be the death wobble. i nearly fell out! i however was doing 120 and had my fourwheeler in the bed..not sure if that has anything to do with it but im stumped and do not want to have this again. I will check all my front end components tomorrow for worn out parts and then go run the hell out of my truck again. I often go that fast over this particular bridge being me and my buddies race across it often and have yet to have this happen.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are from Humble, Texas? I'll keep that in mind and NEVER drive through that area after the sun goes down. Driving 120mph over a bridge with a quad in the bed at night in an 8000lbs. 4-wheel drive pickup truck is just BEGGING to kill someone.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:40 AM

well your very right......needless to say there was a few other influences that evening. but yea....i did get what i believe was the dw....wether it was due to my own stupidity for going that fast with a fourwheeler or not. it happend. it was def not my first 120 or so pull with a quad or not. but the first time i experienced the wobble and only difference now as to before was a 2.5 level and new shocks up front.

Quick Reply: Nitto Dura Grapplers caused my death wobble