3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Nitto Dura Grappler Bad Batch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nitto Dura Grappler Bad Batch?

2 months ago I noticed the front end of my truck started to shake, I mean you go through a parking lot, take your hands off the wheel and can see the wheel rock back and forth shake. Looked at the tires and noticed a bubble in the tread. Took it over to Discount Tire and they replaced the left front tire no questions asked and rotated them at the same time. Yesterday, I was getting stuff out of the back seat and noticed the right rear tire (recently rotated from the right front) has a bubble in the same spot as the last one I replaced which was on the left front! New tire is on order also but it's making me wonder, I bought these 2 at a time, wonder if they had a bad run or what because right now, I'm not very happy with what was a highly recommended tire. On the plus side, I'll have 2 new tires after almost 40k miles...........
Old 05-01-2014, 03:08 PM

I'll be following this thread, I have the same tires. So far so good.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:20 PM

Got new tire #2 on today and did a thorough check of the other 2. Noticed that the tread groove in the outer tread had cracks in it. Will be watching them real closely. Here's a pic of the tire, keep in mind this one did the exact same thing the other one did, bubble in the same location of the tread and both tires were on the front and almost 40k miles on them. Name:  2014-05-05_155201.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  97.5 KB
Old 05-06-2014, 07:19 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Terra Grapplers are all cracked up. They were new in Nov '09 and have 38k (I just did the math and realized I've undercalculated on previous posts). I've had a problem with an out of balance tire in this set from the very beginning. I get new tires in the fall so I'm happy for that. Personally, I think it is Nittos in general. But the Duras get great reviews particularly. The TGs most people swear by. But I'm not a believer. Been having a lot more vibes recently. Ujoints or tires, just waiting for a loud pop
Attached Thumbnails Nitto Dura Grappler Bad Batch?-crackedtg.jpg  
Old 05-06-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interested in this thread... I've got the same tires.
They seem like a really decent tire but lately I've noticed a "out of round" feel with them mainly when it is cold I think. Buy the time they get warm I tend to forget about it.
I do know I have a screw in two of them and of course I didn't get the road hazzard... but that can always be patched... a broken belt or something can't. I noticed one or two looked like it has a little dry rot about 6 months or a year after I got them, but the place I bought them closed.
For what these tires cost I expect better. Performance wise I like the tires. I plow with them and seam to have decent ice traction.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:15 PM

Sent an email to Nitto about this and received a VERY generic reply.

Thank you for contacting Nitto Tire.

The Nitto Tire Limited Warranty is applied to the original owner of the tires if the purchase was made either online or a brick-and-mortar store in the U.S. If in the event you have a tire concern, Nitto Tire would recommend having the dealer of purchase or the closest Nitto dealer to you, inspect the product in order to make a determination if your tires fall under the guidelines of the warranty.

http://www.nittotire.com/Dealer

If an authorized Nitto dealer has recently completed inspection and a warrantable condition was found, the dealer can move forward with their findings to begin warranty claim process.

For more information on the warranty, feel free to view our warranty brochure: http://www.nittotire.com/Content/pdf/Warranty2012.pdf

As a friendly reminder, if there is ever a concern with a Nitto Tire product while tires are still mounted on a vehicle, please feel free to contact our Consumer Relations Department 888-529-8200 available Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm PST.

Sincerely,

Nitto Technical Department
Old 05-10-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gasjr4wd
Interested in this thread... I've got the same tires.
They seem like a really decent tire but lately I've noticed a "out of round" feel with them mainly when it is cold I think. Buy the time they get warm I tend to forget about it.
I do know I have a screw in two of them and of course I didn't get the road hazzard... but that can always be patched... a broken belt or something can't. I noticed one or two looked like it has a little dry rot about 6 months or a year after I got them, but the place I bought them closed.
For what these tires cost I expect better. Performance wise I like the tires. I plow with them and seam to have decent ice traction.
I noticed the out of round feeling when the tires are cold too. But its gone after one to two miles of driving.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:38 PM

An update, both the other 2 tires started cracking in the tread so I went back to the tire store again. The same guy that helped me last time said they have to contact Nitto this time to which we both find out that Nitto just recently, like within the last week, issued a recall for my tires for separation issues. So apparently, there was a problem and now they're dealing with it. 4 new tires for free within 6 months, we'll see how it goes this time.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What size tires? I had 285/70/17 with about 55k miles and still fair amount of tread left. The right front separated and had a good sized bubble. Discount warrantied it and I bought the Discoverer ATP tires. They only had 2 so I had them put them on while they ordered the other 2. As I was driving home from Discount one of the other tires developed a bubble!! Luckily Discount was able to get the other tires over night and I got a set of 4 Discoverer tires with warranty out the door for just under $500 Have about 5k miles on them now and love them. No more Dura Grapplers for me.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:01 PM

Stock size 265/70/17. I had a bit over 40k when the problems started, still had lots of life left.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a set put on my wifes explorer about a year ago. Great smooth quiet tire. Only thing I've noticed is that in the morning after it sat all night the warning light for low tire pressure comes on, then goes away after a few minutes on the road. Worries me as that's the main vehicle for the wife and kids.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:22 PM

Here's the info from their site. Dura Grappler Recall
Old 01-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Horn 06
Here's the info from their site. Dura Grappler Recall
Strange. Mine did the exact thing the recall is for but in the 285/70/17 size. I guess not enough in that size had issues. Oh well. I have new tires now anyway but it would have been nice to get some kind of reimbursement since I had easily 15-20k miles to go.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorts
My Terra Grapplers are all cracked up. They were new in Nov '09 and have 38k (I just did the math and realized I've undercalculated on previous posts). I've had a problem with an out of balance tire in this set from the very beginning. I get new tires in the fall so I'm happy for that. Personally, I think it is Nittos in general. But the Duras get great reviews particularly. The TGs most people swear by. But I'm not a believer. Been having a lot more vibes recently. Ujoints or tires, just waiting for a loud pop
I don't think any manufacturer recommends running a tire over five yrs regardless of mileage. Michelins are famous for weather checking on the sidewalls well under five yrs in some cases.