3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Questions

Hey all!
Great site! Thanks for all the info!
I have yet to buy my new diesel. I have never owned one before, but have narrowed it down to either an '06 QC CTD 6-speed or an '06 GMC Duramax. Both are fab trucks, both have their plusses and minuses. I could go on for hours about both trucks, and have actually spent the last couple of hours re-reading posts here!LOL!

I have a couple of specific questions...
-Will the six-speed become easier to shift over time? The truck I demo'd was very stiff!
-As a daily driver, is the CTD the way to go? I tow on occasion my '06 Jayco 29FBS (about 8K loaded), but primarily it's my daily driver.
-I have an '04 Nissan Titan now and love it! However my last tow up Wolf Creek Pass brought it to it's knees. I feel I need more grunt. Do the diesels drive that much better? It's tons of torque, and its waaaaay down low. I guess I'm used to revving to get the power!

Any suggestions or info, please!

-colochoclab
Old 09-19-2006, 11:45 AM
HOV

My last truck was a 2005 Duramax. My opinion:

CHEVY PROS
- LBZ engine is much better than the LLY, which was plagued by fueling and overheating problems.
- Lots of power
- Great transmission
- Better HVAC system

DODGE PROS
- Better engine - simpler, more rugged and heavy duty design, longer expected service life, less emmissions junk (no EGR system kicks ***!) with the same great emissions, more room under the hood to wrench
- Stock 4" exhaust
- No variable vane turbo junk to break (I had to replace a vane sensor within 8 months of ownership)
- Better fit and finish on interior
- Solid front axle

CHEVY CONS
- Cheesy, 1990's interior
- Independent front suspension
- Really crappy stock suspension
- "Donut tires" come from the factory (245/75/16)
- No room under the hood to work with
- EGR system prevents turbo from spooling - lots of lag

DODGE CONS
- Some complaints of easily stained interior upholstery
- HVAC system lacking
- Auto tranny isn't quite up to Allison par due to wider spacing between gear ratios, but with the 6-speed you won't be affected.
- Oil changes are a little harder due to restricted access to oil filter

That's all I can think of for now.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:59 AM

Actually that nice, tight 6-speed is the way it should shift, I really wish my old 5-speed NV 4500 could be tightend back up. The new six speed is a G-56, and it actually shifts like a performace vechile.

Either truck will do the job, I have preferances toward the body design (not the front end ) of a Chevy - the true extended cab with back hinged rear doors and a short bed. However the Cummins with a G-56 may be enough to sway me back into a Dodge the next time.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Chapter President

I like the Dodge for the ease of working on it. I have worked on some V8 diesels in the trucks.... I like the solid front axle, the look of the truck(Dodge)...I guess I am Dodge Cummins biased..
Old 09-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by colochoclab
Hey all!
Great site! Thanks for all the info!
I have yet to buy my new diesel. I have never owned one before, but have narrowed it down to either an '06 QC CTD 6-speed or an '06 GMC Duramax. Both are fab trucks, both have their plusses and minuses. I could go on for hours about both trucks, and have actually spent the last couple of hours re-reading posts here!LOL!

I have a couple of specific questions...
-Will the six-speed become easier to shift over time? The truck I demo'd was very stiff!
-As a daily driver, is the CTD the way to go? I tow on occasion my '06 Jayco 29FBS (about 8K loaded), but primarily it's my daily driver.
-I have an '04 Nissan Titan now and love it! However my last tow up Wolf Creek Pass brought it to it's knees. I feel I need more grunt. Do the diesels drive that much better? It's tons of torque, and its waaaaay down low. I guess I'm used to revving to get the power!

Any suggestions or info, please!

-colochoclab
colochoclab - I'm not sure that my comments will help, but this is how I would look at it. Either truck is not going to be the daily driver that the Titan is. The Titan being a 1/2 ton truck, the ride will be better, it will accelerate more quickly, and the turning radius will be much tighter ... better in parking lots. Add a 6 speed to either the Cummins or the DMax, and the daily driving rating drops more (IMHO). Admittedly, I have fun with my 6 speed, and have daily drove it from time to time between cars, and when one is down. And I get tired of the rough ride and attention the 6 speed requires.

In my opinion, if you're only towing from time to time, you may be better off with what you have.

My 6 speed has only slightly loosened up over time ... its still pretty tight.

Now, as for the grunt. Hell yes you'll notice a HUGE difference towing that size trailer. It will not bring a Cummins or DMax to their knees. You'd have a chuckle under your breath on your way up that hill thinking about how it was with the Titan. But is it worth the money / loss on trading up? Only you can decide.

Finally, the reason I have the 6 speed is that I don't care about it being a daily driver. Luckily, I don't have to use it that way. The 6 speed shines out on the interstate. No hunting, all grunting ... sweet. I let a buddy drive my truck to lunch the other day. He drove the 6 speed well, and was revving it between shifts (and like the cheshire cat). He loved the big truck sound!

- JyRO
Old 09-19-2006, 05:22 PM

I had a 2005 GMC crewcab with an Allison auto. I loved it! I only had a basic interior. That and the fact that I got 6 months no payments and 0% financing is why I got my Cummins. (I say Cummins, because I hate the pickup, but love the engine). The Dodge is loaded, and comfortable. I find I really miss the Allison towing, and the back seat room that the GMC had. But I think the Dodge handles the trailer a little better. I really like the turning radius on the 2wd Dodge quadcab. The GMC got better in town mileage (19 vs. 17 in the dodge), but the Dodge gets 23 on the interstate (GMC-20) They are both quiet, but my wife likes the sunroof in the Dodge. I think the seats are more comfortable in the GMC, but the visibility is better in the Dodge. I can't tell you my opinion, because some days I wish I had never traded, and the next I can't imagine why I didn't do it sooner. It all comes down to what you want in a vehicle. In my opinion, the GM vehicles are more upscale on the interior, but the Dodge has the Cummins, and the MegaCab. I would have bought the MegaCab, but I won't own a shortbed vehicle. I know this is longwinded, and I apologize for that, but when I got started, I kept thinking of all the things I like about both.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:13 PM

I don't know if this will matter to you, but my bro-in-law bought an 05 Chevy 2500 gasser just after I bought my Cummins last year. You mention the rear hinged doors of the Chevy: That's one feature my BIL hates....having to open a front door first to access the rear. He now regrets getting that style and wishes he had the four full doors as he has two little ones.

We both have cloth interior, but the back of the Dodge front seats are vinyl, i.e. very easy to clean. His are cloth. My 2 yr old kicks the back of Daddys seat with muddy feet....no big deal. His 2 yr old does the same and it's a mess.

A few months ago, he mentioned trading in his 05 for an 06 for those two reasons as they bug him that much. With his driving, he should get a diesel....yes even a Duramax but has no interest.

IMO, the only thing better about his truck is the shape of the rear seat. With the Dodge, the middle section isn't as deep as behind the front seats. Neither of my son's car seats is very stable there so he sits behind me. I think he'd prefer to sit in the middle so he can see where we're going, like he can in the Mrs. Volvo, but unless we replace his seat (if there's one that has a smaller base) he's stuck behind my fat head. (Oh wait, that's my head rest)

I enjoy rowing my 6 speed, fwiw, in all conditions. For the few times I've been stuck in a traffic jam, 1st gear has worked for me. On the highway, 6th gear and cruise control and you're good to go. There's no comparision on hills compared to my 95 ram gasser.