3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New Stereo install, bezel, amp, etc questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Stereo install, bezel, amp, etc questions?

So planning on upgrading the 2007 OE stereo (basic CD player 4 speaker) to a double DIN Nav, Bluetooth, etc head unit.
Couple questions, what are the mfgs of a Double DIN dash bezel? Think theres more than than just the Weedahoe one now.
Thinking about putting some decent jams (new speakers and small 4 ch amp) in the truck but too lazy to pull new speaker wire from a remote amp location. Is there room to fit a smaller amp up behind the dash somewhere?
Any good online retailers that understand the right compatibility if I'm buying a dbl DIN receiver but need a wiring adapter for the basic stereo (if I don't end up gutting the wiring anyway by adding an amp)?
Old 04-22-2015, 12:54 AM

My double din was pricey. I hated the kits that use the factory SLT dash and just put black deletes in the rounded out **** sections of the factory bezel. So I put the $90 OEM Laramie bezel (this is the whole center piece and I had to change out the heated seat bezel for my SLT checkbook pocket) on my truck, with a Scosche CR1289B double din bezel. The wiring adapter was pricey too, and I use it just for power, ground, etc.- but maybe all this stuff has come down. I did it 5 years ago.

I'm currently using a Kenwood DDX-719 7" double din head (crappy mic- if you want hands free calling, find something else, but the rest is great) with an infinity KAPPAFIVE 50W x 4 + 350W x 1 Class D System Amplifier (4 for the doors/dash, + sub channel) with Infinity Kappa 6.5 integrated (woofer with center tweeter) in the rear doors, components up front (6.5" woofer in the front doors-adapter plates required for this- tweeter installed in the dash, cross overs hidden in the dash) plus an MTX shallow 12" sub in a shallow box behind the mega seats on top of the factory storage containers (no loss of storage at all). The 60% seat can still recline, the 40% part can't unless I slide the sub over behind the 60% part (I left slack in the speaker wire for this). They still fold flat. The amp fits under the front seat, but you get to spend some time running wires- which really is worth it. I don't know of any good 4 channel amps that are going to fit behind the dash.

The sound this setup gives makes me happy- and I'm a picky musician. Doesn't matter if I'm listening to Aerosmith, Garth Brooks, Bob Dylan, B.B. King, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, Tim McGraw, Pantera, Sublime, Tchaikovsky, Stevie Wonder or Young MC; a few tweaks of the manual (not the software coded) E.Q. (depending on the genre and studio mastering) and I'm happy. My neighbor who is a mechanic says I'm "pickier than a bastard from hell sideways" about everything in my truck, and the music is one of the most important parts to me- and if you can't tell by the artists I listed, I listen to almost everything.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Crutchfield.com has amazing technical support and customer service as well as a 60 day money back satisfaction guarantee. They can help you find what fits in your truck and then help you msake sure you know how to install it while you are installing it. they do cost a little more, but for the service you get, they are well worth the money IMO.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. I've bought a lot from Crutchfield years ago. Good to know they still have good service.