3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

new hummer wheels ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know if using the 4.75 hole saw would work or not, it might not be large enough. My hub came out to 4.774 and there was just barely enough clearence, maybe if u let the hole saw jiggle around a bit as your cutting it could act as a reamer and give u a bit more clearance but then again I dont know how clean of a cut that would give u. It does appear that the rim is centered by the lug nuts so as long as the hole is round and not to big/small the lug nuts should tighten the wheel to its correct place.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:03 PM

I was thinking on the same line as you on the hole size...jiggle it around a bit then maybe finish off with light grit sandpaper or grinder to clean up any burrs.

I wonder if I should have the tires mounted and then balanced first before attempting to cut the hole...I planned on buying just the wheels, then take it to the local tire shop and have them mount up the 315 BFG's? Does this sound logical?
Old 07-17-2004, 09:51 PM

There are a couple sets of H2 wheels on Ebay and one set is bright chrome. the ad states they are new not take offs or seconds. I don't know how true it is. I was looking at the H2 wheels and they are nice but I don't have the tools to drill everything out. I'm going to look for a set of factory wheels to mount my winter snow tires on, if I can find a good deal on a set.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:17 PM

they dont ship to canada??birtish columbia
Old 07-19-2004, 12:20 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
nebuniRAM

Check my writeup on opening up the H2 wheels with a Hole Hog drill, and a 4 3/4" hole saw. Works great.

Wetspirit
Old 07-19-2004, 09:30 AM

Wetspirit, could you tell me where I could find a hole hog? Can I rent one somewhere or is this something that can be picked up pretty inexpensively? I can get a HD variable speed drill with a low speed you think this could work? Sorry for all the nOOb questions but I should be getting my H2 wheels in by the end of the week and I appreciate any help you can spare. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:38 AM

I have a set of H2 rims for sale, if someone is interested. They are takeoffs and have only had the orginal set of BGF's dismounted from them. PM me if interested.

Craig
Old 07-19-2004, 10:40 AM

HdPower,

The Hole Hog is just a very powerful, low speed, right angle drill. Any other one of this type will work too. The right angle feature really helps because it allows you to just set the hole saw in place and let the weight of the drill do the work while chattering around a bit to make the hole slightly larger than 4 3/4" and avoid jamming. Also, if it jams you have a large lever to hold on too. GO SLOW, let the tool do the work. I sprayed some WD40 on the saw and wheel before the cut. Leave the tires on the wheels and set them on the tailgate, face up to do the cutting. Be careful to cut straight through, a friend could be watching to help you keep the drill verticle. The hole saw goes in from the front of the wheel and centers itself. I used a drum sander on a smaller drill to clean up the hole and bring it out to the final size. Takes about three minutes per wheel total with cutting and finish sanding. Be sure the wheel fits comfortably over the axle center. There must be no binding on the center hole while the nuts are centering the wheel. The wheels have a taper on the center hole that is used for balancing. The balancing machine has a large cone that centers the wheel at this point. Be sure to retain some of this taper. The wheels will fit well and still have some of this balancing/centering taper. I was very pleased how smooth running these tires are and how much traction they have. Not to mention how perfectly they fit. I now have about 15,000 miles on my set and have rotated them once. I bought a second set to go on when these are worn out.

Wetspirit
Old 07-19-2004, 11:23 AM

Seems like a lot of work to put on a set of wheels. If you miss getting the hole completely centered, the wheels will be forever out of balance and could be expensive paper weights. (large paper weights)

I am running Maxx Guns on mine (17x8, i believe). They were $189 and work very well. I am running bfg 315s. I guess I went with them because they are good looking wheels and wanted something besides stock.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:10 PM

Yea 500 bucks & couple hrs work for fairly unique quality wheels and tires that drive great versus $189 x 4 for aftermarket wheels plus $185-250 x 4 for tires Yea I think I can sweat a little
Old 07-19-2004, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The hole also can be opened up on a lrage lathe. See if you can find a machine shop that does lathe work and can swing a 17" rim.

Other way is to bore the hole in a vertical boring mill or Bridgeport type machine.

Maybe I should start buying H2 rims and sell them pre-modified.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by gullydog
they dont ship to canada??birtish columbia

I know from my own experience that sometimes if you contact the seller, they will make an exception to their shipping policy. Most just don't want to do it because of the hassle. If you ask the right person, they may help you out anyway. I would send them an email and see what happens.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:03 PM

Thank you for your help and invaluable information Wetspirit, I have more confidence in getting the job done now. I will probably get a better idea of what your talking about when my wheels come in to be able to see the center bore and how the hole saw need to align and center itself.

Last question, should I take the wheels down to the tire shop and have them mount new tires on then balance before I start cutting the center bore? Or should I go ahead and cut the center bores on the wheels...then take them in to have the new rubber mounted and balanced? Thanks !
Old 07-19-2004, 01:09 PM

chipset, I like your wheels they look awesome however I ordered (4) H2 wheels for less than the price of one of your wheels.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chipset
[B]Seems like a lot of work to put on a set of wheels. If you miss getting the hole completely centered, the wheels will be forever out of balance and could be expensive paper weights. (large paper weights)

As I mentioned in my previous post, it takes about three minutes per wheel (once you get the tools together). This has nothing to do with out of balance wheels. Relax. If this setup is not to your liking don't do it, but why discourage others from what is a very good and inexpensive setup?

Wetspirit

Quick Reply: new hummer wheels ?