3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New 2008 Mega 4x4 or Crew Cab 4x4 Dmax

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We drove all the 08 dually's, and we liked the Mega Cab the best. My wife even thought it rode better than the Chevy. The Dodge was quieter on the outside and more truck like on the inside. The Chevy was louder on the outside and quieter on the inside. The Dodge was a truck, and the Chevy was a limo on the inside. They were both very nice, and had like options, but the Dodge had an exhaust brake to boot. But the main factor in this purchase was that the Dodge Mega Cab we bought was $8K less than any Chevy we looked at.

Mav

P.S. I am/was a Chevy/Duramax man.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:04 AM

I bought exactly one year ago. I had an 2005 avalanche for trade in.

I drove all three trucks extensively. All were nice. I tried and tried to buy a chevy. Best deal I could get was ~$20800 difference on a $46000 sticker 2007 chevy. A 2008 at the time was $24800 difference on a $48600 sticker.

Ford was $21,800 for a $48000 truck. Dodge was $21700 difference on a $50400 sticker. These were all out the door incuding taxes and represent the best prices I could get at the time.

I ordered the Dodge and the rebates went up. When I took delivery I paid $17,800 inc taxes difference.

My 2008 has had 14000 trouble free miles so far. I love the Mega and the styling of the truck. The exhaust brake is just the cats meow for towing.

The seats are hard but the truck is solid. My brother has a 2007 QC manual cummins and also a 2008 chevy dmax for work. He much prefers the Dodge but he's a cummins man.

Mike
Old 11-20-2008, 11:37 PM

Ihad an 01,and04 Duramax. both were good trucks. the 04 was plagued by injectors though. but I like my 06 Dodge the best. it just seems right if you know what I mean. but like has been said if you don't need a diesel why bother. I know here regular unleaded is $1.55, diesel 2.99 was 3.59 just a few days ago. I know people say they have better resale,but look at reasle nothing is worth close to what you paid for it,and it'll only get worse with all these low prices,employee pricing.0% financing. I don't know how anyone can stay loyal to any of the big three the way they have screwed us truck buyers over the last few years. you may get it cheaper up front,but you had better plan on keeping it a long,long time. just my 2 cents.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:15 AM

What did I do wrong?

Within the last week, I test drove fully loaded diesels from all 3 makes. 56k-58k MSRPs. I hear everyone say the DMAX and PS have "lots of power", but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

My wife's Caravan has better throttle response than both the Ford and Chevy. I was extremely disapointed. I have owned vehicles from all of the big 3, and in fact the 4.3L vortex in a S-10 Blazer is what turned me on to low-end torque in the first place.

The Ford was the worst of all in the power department. In the test drive, I mashed the pedal to the floor from a stop and not so much as a squeek from the tires; and the acceleration that ensued was less than awe inspiring. I even had to double check to make sure I wasn't in 4wd.

The Chevy was a better, but again, not the "tons of power" I've been hearing about. It definitely felt like a car, but necessarily in a good way. Very soft suspension, which almost felt unstable at speed. I can only imagine what it would feel like with 35ft camper on the hitch in a crosswind.

When I test drove the Dodge, it felt like a real truck. It was a Laramie with bucket seats, which were very comfortable. The ride was firm, but comfortable. Definitely gave the impression it was just asking to go to work.

Believe me, I was really hoping I would like the Chevy or Ford better. I can get better deals on both of them, and I am a big fan of the "options". The Ford especially was really nice with all the creature comforts.

Given my current truck (I don't think my signature is filled in) is a 2001.5 Dodge 2500 QC, with a Goerend Auto, 100hp injectors, Quad Adrenaline, HX35, etc. I'm used to plenty of power (and quick spoolup with the little HX35). Even with 35s, the tires don't stand a chance. I can pull my trailer (an Outback 31RQS for CamperAndy) from a standstill, at idle. I thought the parking brake was still on when I couldn't get the Chevy to move by itself without applying what seemed like a more than necessary amount of the skinny pedal.

Obviously, the torque curve of the inline 6 Cummins starts much lower than the V-8s, but the difference seemed like night and day.

Is my perception of power that jaded from the years of driving my current truck (188k miles), or is there a trick to finding this "untapped potential" in the diesel V-8s?

David
Old 11-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by delliott
Within the last week, I test drove fully loaded diesels from all 3 makes. 56k-58k MSRPs. I hear everyone say the DMAX and PS have "lots of power", but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

My wife's Caravan has better throttle response than both the Ford and Chevy. I was extremely disapointed. I have owned vehicles from all of the big 3, and in fact the 4.3L vortex in a S-10 Blazer is what turned me on to low-end torque in the first place.

The Ford was the worst of all in the power department. In the test drive, I mashed the pedal to the floor from a stop and not so much as a squeek from the tires; and the acceleration that ensued was less than awe inspiring. I even had to double check to make sure I wasn't in 4wd.

The Chevy was a better, but again, not the "tons of power" I've been hearing about. It definitely felt like a car, but necessarily in a good way. Very soft suspension, which almost felt unstable at speed. I can only imagine what it would feel like with 35ft camper on the hitch in a crosswind.

When I test drove the Dodge, it felt like a real truck. It was a Laramie with bucket seats, which were very comfortable. The ride was firm, but comfortable. Definitely gave the impression it was just asking to go to work.

Believe me, I was really hoping I would like the Chevy or Ford better. I can get better deals on both of them, and I am a big fan of the "options". The Ford especially was really nice with all the creature comforts.

Given my current truck (I don't think my signature is filled in) is a 2001.5 Dodge 2500 QC, with a Goerend Auto, 100hp injectors, Quad Adrenaline, HX35, etc. I'm used to plenty of power (and quick spoolup with the little HX35). Even with 35s, the tires don't stand a chance. I can pull my trailer (an Outback 31RQS for CamperAndy) from a standstill, at idle. I thought the parking brake was still on when I couldn't get the Chevy to move by itself without applying what seemed like a more than necessary amount of the skinny pedal.

Obviously, the torque curve of the inline 6 Cummins starts much lower than the V-8s, but the difference seemed like night and day.

Is my perception of power that jaded from the years of driving my current truck (188k miles), or is there a trick to finding this "untapped potential" in the diesel V-8s?

David
Being used to a bombed diesel and then driving a stock one is definitely a weird feeling. I guess its opinion too. The torque curve is way steeper in the cummins but when you wind up the duramax it makes good power too. Maybe there was something off about the dmax you drove? Or you are just used to the low end cummins grunt. Off the line accelleration is more of a torque limiting thing used in the computer, but its also the fact that the trucks are automatics. If you mash any diesel truck from a stop the different torque curves are kinda irrelevant until the converter is locked. Manual trannys are a different story; a manual CTD would destroy any dmax from 0-30. The 2006+ dmax's are pretty darn fast tho and run 15 flat in the 1/4 mile bone stock, they have more power than the dodges and are lighter as well.

Mine was a pig stock, the stock 3rd gen 5.9 CTD's ive driven definitely felt faster, but the 2006+ dmax's are a completely different story.

ben