3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New 2008 Mega 4x4 or Crew Cab 4x4 Dmax

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mocho
Hate to say it but i'd rather buy a new Hemi then Cummins, because the 6.7 sounds like a gasser might as well drive one
Obviously your missing muffler, cat, and silencer ring have drastically affected your hearing.

HEMI =
Old 11-08-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsbrockman
Obviously your missing muffler, cat, and silencer ring have drastically affected your hearing.

HEMI =
It has and my standards of what sounds like a diesel has changed, but this was before all my exhaust fell off! Stock for stock i'd take the Hemi over the 6.7 for sound anyday. But it's ok the 6.7 is getting traded in for a Hemi soon, it doesn't do much good sitting at home broken down. No sense in owning a brand new truck that breaks down 3 times in a year
Old 11-09-2008, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres my opinion or story.

2006 Dmax crew cab allison ran it 285k in 19 months never stuck me on the road. No injectors, original brakes and suspension, replaced rear at 190k due to a bad axle seal I missed (didn't blow up, just excessive play). GREAT truck.

2007 Mega 5.9 6 speed. 127k, 5 injectors, injector harness, 4 break downs (was able to fix or limp to dealer).

The Allison 6 speed is a proven awesome trans, the new LMM duramax has done much better with emissions than the 6.7. Fuel economy of both are lower than there there previous models. Interior is more plush with much better seats in the dmax. Roomof the dmax is better is comparing to the quad and less if a mega (but then you are a short bed).

In conclusion if I COULD I would trade out of my Dodge today and go Dmax. And lets just say I HAVE been a Cummins fan for years (I've had 2-92, 2-93, 1-98.5, 1-99, 1-06, and 1-07).
Old 11-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by haulin-rv
Heres my opinion or story.

2006 Dmax crew cab allison ran it 285k in 19 months never stuck me on the road. No injectors, original brakes and suspension, replaced rear at 190k due to a bad axle seal I missed (didn't blow up, just excessive play). GREAT truck.

2007 Mega 5.9 6 speed. 127k, 5 injectors, injector harness, 4 break downs (was able to fix or limp to dealer).

The Allison 6 speed is a proven awesome trans, the new LMM duramax has done much better with emissions than the 6.7. Fuel economy of both are lower than there there previous models. Interior is more plush with much better seats in the dmax. Roomof the dmax is better is comparing to the quad and less if a mega (but then you are a short bed).

In conclusion if I COULD I would trade out of my Dodge today and go Dmax. And lets just say I HAVE been a Cummins fan for years (I've had 2-92, 2-93, 1-98.5, 1-99, 1-06, and 1-07).

If they were all so bad then why have you kept buying them??

These threads about lemons are funny. Any and every truck can have issues just like any can run forever without issue. Mine has never been to the dealer except for the first oil change as it was a free service.

Dieselfume and his story of whoa is even funnier, sounds like a crappy dealer more then anything.

I have to ask all the dmax posters, why troll a dodge forum like DTR to say how good your truck is and how bad Dodges are??
Old 11-09-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by gsbrockman

HEMI =
I agree, my last truck had the Hemi. I was less than impressed!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MegaRam
But felt like more of a car than my truck....
I hate when people say this. And just WHY is that such a problem? So its actually comfortable and you can sit in it for 6 hours at a time and not get fatigued. Awesome! I know thats definetly one thing I look for in a truck. But appearantly everyone else wants a ""real mans truck"", a truck that wanders all over the road, has seats with the ergonomics of a park bench, automatic nothing, and makes you go insane with the bumps and noise.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
I have to ask all the dmax posters, why troll a dodge forum like DTR to say how good your truck is and how bad Dodges are??
Did you even read my post or just see that im a dmax guy and assumed it was a trolling post saying "buy the dmax, dodge is junk."
Old 11-09-2008, 12:16 PM
tcr

Originally Posted by duratothemax
I hate when people say this. And just WHY is that such a problem? So its actually comfortable and you can sit in it for 6 hours at a time and not get fatigued. Awesome! I know thats definetly one thing I look for in a truck. But appearantly everyone else wants a ""real mans truck"", a truck that wanders all over the road, has seats with the ergonomics of a park bench, automatic nothing, and makes you go insane with the bumps and noise.
Rides like a car means, mushy soft suspension, (IMO) I don't see how the chevy/GMCs 2500s get their ratings, put a hd bumper on the front and watch how bad it sags. We had to pull a RH bumper off my buddies truck and install a lighter bumper even w/ his TBs cranked it sagged. Not to mention I had to pull his bumper pull as his headlights were in the sky w/o airbags. This is real life crap, his 06 Chevy 2500 4x4 vs my 03 was no comparison in HD'ness. Again, JMOs maybe his was a lemon
Old 11-09-2008, 02:03 PM

I own both GM & Dodge 06`s. The GM is more refined than the Dodge. The seats are better, it rides better etc. On the other hand the Dodge is more of a work truck. If you are going to use your truck like a Yukon get the GM. If you need a truck mainly for work go Dodge.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
If they were all so bad then why have you kept buying them??
Well I started with first gens and other than 1 smoked auto they did well and fuel economy was by far the best. Then moved on to second gens and again found the weak link was both an auto trans and a 5 speed manual, but again the Cummins just chugged along with out a problem (ok a few minor but nothing to cry about). Then tried a third gen 06 quad sb 3500 4x4, had vibration issues that they could not find and I found that switching from a dually to srw was a bad mistake. I tried to trade it but found it funny that Dodge dealers were so unrealistic with there trade figures. So I went to a Chevy dealer and they went the extra mile and found a wholesaler that stepped up and I got my Dmax. Then the Mega Cabs came out and I wanted one so I bought it and like I stated above it has been a less than stellar and for the first time my disappointment has been in the Cummins NOT the wrapper. So I have now had both a late model Chevy Dmax and a Dodge Cummins and my opinion is I like the Dmax better. Its just a better all around package. And unlike many I WORK my trucks hard like 285k in 19 months on the Dmax and 127k on Dodge in 14months (sorry the miles are low I was hurt for almost 6 months).

So lets see I'm not trolling either, I'm not bashing, I am just stating my opinion and how things have worked for me.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:47 PM
tcr

This thread has become pointless, as someone posted earlier the real trucks died when the 5.9L was retired. The EPA criteria has killed these trucks in all 3 brands now and we'll all just have to see what happens. I for one would still get a 6.7L if I couldn't find a good used 07 5.9L, the only chance to get real miles out of these trucks(250000-300000) is to pull all the emissions crap off and test your luck. Only time will tell, we can all sit here and BS each other until some real #s start showing up in the mileage dept. I do know there's no other state w/ more trucks on the road than in TX and I've yet to see near the #s of FORDS and GMs even close to the #s of Dodges pulling heavy loads; never have and probably never will.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by duratothemax

Well I was a Chevy man for 30 years and got tired of the front ends giving out on my oil burners. Rattles and electronic problems killed it for me.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:33 AM
mbs

I have had 5.9, first dmax,powerstroke. now a 06 lbz it is ok its not a cummins .all a chevy needs is a quality suspension upgrade and it changes the whole truck.i wish they kept a axle for the worker it would be nice and alot cheaper to lift it. my truck came with 215 tires .
Old 11-18-2008, 11:33 AM

whichever brand you go with make sure it was made on a Wednesday. I'm pretty sure mine was and that's why she's still going strong.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Banned

I test drove all big three 2008's. I was going to trade in my 2005 Dodge CTD, but thought better of it after talking to diesel techs and reading on all the big three forums. The emission stuff is screwing up the new diesels that have a lot of potential w/ them off. I was not going to risk my warranty by deleting all the emission stuff if I bought new. Especially w/ the risk of something going wrong.

W/ that siad and if you are really wanting a new diesel. I liked the GMC Sierra over the rest. You have to decide what will be good for your use of the truck. If you go off road a lot. Them a GM is probably not the best. Overall the GM stock wise has more power, better interior, least troubles w/ the DPF and such and the Allison shifts like a car. The Dodge was a little behind, but the new 68re felt better w/ firmer shifts and the exhuast brake is sweet. The Ford motor is still junk and bad MPG. There are pros and cons to all of them.

A lot of good deals out there though.......

Quick Reply: New 2008 Mega 4x4 or Crew Cab 4x4 Dmax