3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New '06....impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New '06....impressions

I've had the '06 for a couple weeks and thought I'd post my impressions.

Cummins - great power, great torque, doesn't get much better...score A+

Auto Trans. - this transmission will be fine for me, but I would definately like it better if it didn't have this much slip...score B

Ride - Overall seems well balanced for a 3/4 ton...score B+

Infiniti Stereo - I'm not an audiophile but I do expect decent clarity from a "premium" stereo. This unit does not have it. I have been finding myself turning up the volume constantly to hear conversations (I mostly listen to talk radio) and then turning it down because it seems a little loud. Score C.

Interior - I ordered the tan leather interior and love the color. The dealer only had tan cloth on the lot, but the tan leather is much different than the cloth, less yellow is best way I can describe it. It's more of a combination of grey and tan, I think they call that taupe? score...B+

Turning radius - didn't compare to similar trucks of different make, but compared to my '02 F-150 it's aweful.....score C-

Mega Cab - this is a great feature for me. I often tow a trailer to the race track with 3-4 crew members and this makes for plenty of room for both passengers, gear, and towing. The storage space and compartments behind the rear seats really top it off....score A+

Quality - It's very early (1300 mi.) but the quality seems good. I'm mostly speaking about the interior here since only time will tell how well the mechanical side of things are. However, I have this feeling that the truck is just going to start falling apart one day. I have a small rattle in the driver's door panel, the vehicle rolls slightly after putting trans. in park, and two of my cab lights already have moisture in them. These issues alone don't make me think it's not quality but they're things you usually get when approaching 40-50K. I hope I'm wrong....score B.

Key fob - seems extremely sensitive. It's seems every time I touch the key fob when near the truck it's either opening the doors or locking them when I'm not trying. The buttons are flush and not slightly recessed like the Ford fob. Maybe I just need to get used to it? score C+

Glove compartment - Maybe a small detail but I think they should have located the handle to the left so the driver could reach it without laying across the entire cab. Not a huge deal but seems like an obvious one to me. score D

Cab light - you can turn it on with the doors closed and even while driving! My Ford didn't do this. score A+

Air Conditioning - I've read some threads about the AC being poor and I'd have to agree. The weather here in N.Y. has been very nice lately (70's and low humidity) but with the windows up and the sun out it can get a little stuff in the cab. I find that the AC really doesn't cool me down enough even at these temperatures. What's gonna happen when it's in the 90's with high humidity? I'll have the dealer look at it during first service, but it seems like "they're all like that" isthe common answer. score F.

I just highlighted some things here that I noticed. There are probably more good things I didn't list than bad. When my friends ask how I'm enjoying the truck my response seems to keep being "if it doesn't fall apart I'm going to love this truck".