3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Nerf Bars that use the Body Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nerf Bars that use the Body Mounts

I have just finished re-installing my Raptor 4" Tube Nerf Bars and notice that the replacement Cab Body Bushing Bolts were under class/grade to the OEM Bolts. The OEM Bolts are stamped with the Metric system rated at 10.9 (12mm x 1.75 x 80mm gr. 10.9) while the replacement Nerf Bar bolts were stamped with the Metric system at 4.8 (12mm x 1.75 x 120mm gr. 4.8). This has me concern since the OEM Bolts are way stronger. Reason for this is in the Metric system the the higher the number, the stronger the bolt. Very similiar to comparing a SAE grade 8 bolt to a SAE grade 2 bolt. In a clamping sitiuation like what we have in the body mounts, the lower grade bolts will fail due to less tensile strenght, where as the higher grade bolt will have more tensile strenght. Similar to comparing a set of High Milage Cummins Head Bolts to a box of New Cummins Head Bolts for the same engine.

Has anybody else seen this problem with your aftermarket nerf bars?
Did you replace the aftermarket bolts or did you not worry about it?
Are you concern about the dealer voiding your Body warranty for using under grade bolts?

Yes, I did contact the Nerf Bar Dealer by email. They sent me a reply stating that the replacement bolts are still better than the OEM with the flange and should be torque to a lower rating than the OEM Cab Body Bushing Bolts. Well -- duhh to the lower torque spec!! Of Couse, they are a weaker bolt! They also said that the lock washer and flat washer improved the strenght of the lower class bolt. I am sorry, but I do not think so. Lock washers prevent the bolts from backing out during a constant vibration. Flat washers help distribute the clamping force more evenly preventing push through. These two items do no help the bolts in strenght, but aid in keeping the clamping force even. I think they need to hire a new bonded engineer.

I better cool off. I will end my rant now and find some coffee.

Shawn
Old 03-23-2007, 10:59 PM

I used the nerf bar bolts and was not worried one bit.

One thing to think about is that you only replaced two on each side (four total) when you still have the other OEM bolts holding the cab to the frame.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=firerob;1423907]I used the nerf bar bolts and was not worried one bit.

One thing to think about is that you only replaced two on each side (four total) when you still have the other OEM bolts holding the cab to the frame.[/QUOTE

I see what you are saying, but I think you just created four weak links in the Cab Mounting Department. Let say it was on a regular cab and you replaced both cab retaining bolts on both sides with them.

Now, do you believe it is still, Ok?

Shawn
Old 03-26-2007, 07:24 PM

I put on the Westin Platinum series steps. They come with the 10.9 bolts to replace the OEM bolts.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:09 PM

I used Westins too. Almost all tube steps are made by the exact same manufacturer and are marketed by different companies (and that is a well proven fact). Perhaps the better known companies use better hardware. But if you were to buy the cheapest, you'd still be getting a set of Westins...don't believe me, start searching the net.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:17 PM

I used the factory bolts, I had to grind a little on the washers for the front mount to make it fit inside the bracket but it was very little.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:34 PM

I believe that you are correct, megafast, about the nerf bars all being just about the same and the fact that you get what you paid for. However, I did see some differences out there when it came to the tube steps. Such as: welded end caps compared to plastic inserts, the tubes either have a flare or not, the nerf bars used the body mounts or the cab floor support knock-outs, and finally the step pads are recessed into the tube or applied just to the top. I did consider the Westins, but wanted to be original since a lot of the trucks around here run the Westins, ICI, and the Mopar brand nerf bars.

I glad to hear that the Westin did come with the correct grade bolts. This answered one of my questions about the other brands of bars and the quality of their hardware. Thanks for the reply's.

Shawn
Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 PM

I'm not saying 100% are made by the same company. If you find many companies w/ plastic end caps, depressed steps (instead of cutouts), etc. Then they are very likely all made by the same company. The plastic steps w/ the logo are often times the only diferentiating piece. This is for tube steps. I've never studied any other kind. Not starting a war, just sharing what I've found.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by txfiremedic
I used the factory bolts, I had to grind a little on the washers for the front mount to make it fit inside the bracket but it was very little.
I decided I wanted to keep the OEM Bolts that way I could always replace them if I changed my mind. I went to our local Fastenal Company and order the correct grade of bolts to be used. I use the specs off of the Installation Instructions. Four grade (10.9) bolts at Fastenal costed me a little under US-$9.00. All the hardware stores in town wanted at least US-$5.00 a bolt (US-$20.00 for four), but they also did not have the correct legnth of 12mm x 1.75 x 120mm (around 4.75 inches).

I did email my seller about the quality of their bolts. They even said they were not strough enough for the factory torque spec which is set at 60 ftlb's compared to their spec of 40 ftlb's. They also said if I wish to use the factory bolts to keep the factory torque spec; then I should remove the factory rubber spacer and do not use the lock washer and cut washer that was included in the nerf bar kit. I will just find a longer bolt in the correct grade. And I did.

You can go to the Fastenal web site and order the bolts, any bolts you need, to your door for about the same price or less.

Shawn
Old 03-27-2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by megafast
I'm not saying 100% are made by the same company. If you find many companies w/ plastic end caps, depressed steps (instead of cutouts), etc. Then they are very likely all made by the same company. The plastic steps w/ the logo are often times the only diferentiating piece. This is for tube steps. I've never studied any other kind. Not starting a war, just sharing what I've found.
No offence taking. I was just stating what I saw. All I can say is, I get what I paid for.

I just hope other will be aware of this problem and make the neccessary choices or changes to prevent a danger or accident to themselves or others because of the bolts.

Shawn
Old 03-27-2007, 09:04 PM

Why do simple things have to be so complicated sometimes? LOL
Old 03-28-2007, 07:53 AM

I had Tech Tubes Bubba Bars on my 01 Dakota and when I took them off to sell the truck, one of the supplied bolts broke off. It cost me a friggin fortune to have the broken bit taken out and the threads cleaned up to take the factory bolt back. Personally, I don't like the look of side steps anymore and the first thing I did with my 03QC was take the factory side steps off. I'd certainly recommend that anybody who uses the factory body mounts for nerf bars upgrade the hardware and use stainless, if you can find it. I used anti sieze and still got f'd.