3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

NAV system problems???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAV system problems???

Dealership and DC techline are stumped...

A couple of months ago my Nav sytem started doing wierd things, first thing I noticed was every once in a while the radio station would just change by itself, not a big deal and it only happened 3 times over a month, then everytime I turned the truck off and back on again certain Nav settings would change (units of measurements, language etc.) No big deal, it's under warranty...the dealership replaces the unit but it still has the same symptoms. They then reflash the truck and swap out the Nav disc, still the same....The dealership called the DC techline more than a week ago and they still have no answer...

Anyone out there have this problem or anyother Nav system issues?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:44 AM

Ghost in the Machine
Old 03-14-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by RocketJohn
Ghost in the Machine

Know of any good exorcist's
Old 03-14-2007, 10:03 AM

My NAV unit seems to be affected by the heat here in the desert SW. It works perfectly fine in the cool mornings or cool evenings, but after sitting in the daytime heat I get disc error 'reading' problems in both the nav and cd's.

Of course, it will not do this at the dealership. I have had it in a disc error mode, not reading either the nav or the cd's when I drove in to the dealership and when the tech gets to it, all of a sudded it's working. Then I drive a mile down the road, shut the truck off, restart and it will not read the discs. Back to the dealership, smae scenario - over and over. It is very frustrating, and I am not sure if it will ever be resolved. Very expensive piece of junk in my estimation.

I do not live close to my dealership. It takes setting aside hours at a time to try to deal with this thing. They have yet to suggest trying replacing the unit, and if/when they do I have to drive up there, they have to remove the unit, ship it in, and a second trip is necessary when they finally get in the replacement. That could take as much as a week's time to possible get another bad one, as there seems to be tons of bad ones. Plus, they could possibly be sending me back a re-man unit that could end up having worse problems. Very frustrating.

Exorcist may be the solution! Actually, since mine seems to be a heat related thing, I thought about making a duct of some kind and adding a fan for cooling the unit, or just adding a fan under the dash to circulate the hot air. That big dash is a really good heat sinc. There might even be a way to insulate it under the dash cover - that is MY next 'something to try'.

CD
Old 03-14-2007, 10:20 AM

The unit they replaced gave "unit overheating" & "disc read error" codes, that's how they justified the replacement, this all started while the temps were down around the -20* -40* so I can't see it being a hot wheather issue. I also live out of town and it's a 45min drive to my dealership so I know where you're coming from, my dealership left the unit in my truck when they ordered the replacement (took 3 days) so at least I wasn't without something to listen to