3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Nav install and Weedahoe Bezel

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:26 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nav install and Weedahoe Bezel

Getting ducks in a row to finally put nav in the truck. I have the standard single cd unit. I'm going with a Pioneer unit AVIC-Z150BH.

The double din bezel I want is Weedahoe's custom so I can keep the upper dash pocket.
https://sites.google.com/site/tricke...dge-ram-bezels

I won't be doing the install but having a shop do it. (Electrical is very tedious with one hand). Dash disassembly looks straight forward. I'm pulling up the floor console before dropping the truck off so it's less pieces to get tossed around or scratched up at the shop.

Anyone have any critique on the head unit or the dash bezel?

Any suggestions on the bluetooth mic location or gps antenna location?
Old 02-08-2014, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a bezel from Weedahoe about a year ago, for my 2005...a little different than the ones for 2006. And I installed a Pioneer head unit similar to the AVIC-Z150BH, except mine didn't have the navigation feature. I did the installation myself. My main motivation was that I wanted a video screen for a backup camera.

Very happy with it overall. The installation was kind of a pain - getting the head-unit perfectly centered in the bezel took a lot of trial and error. So I'd support your decision to have a shop do it.

Head unit is great - basically the same as yours except for the navigation feature. I like having the backup camera. I'll use it to play videos when I have my kids with me. The touch screen is nice. I usually plug in a USB drive with about 15 gigs of MP3's - the touch screen menus make it easy to navigate between all the different songs I have.

Bezel is pretty good quality for a custom made piece that's affordable. But that's for the 2003-2005 bezel....I'd assume quality is similar for the 2006.

For my bluetooth mic, I ran the wire up the driver side windshield column, and the mic is attached at the upper driver side corner of the windshield. Works out pretty well for me. FYI, Not sure what kid of tires you are running, but when I ran MT tires, the mic was worthless - too much background noise from the tires. With my AT tires, it's fine.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 AM

Thanks adamkn. Good to hear a review.

The BT mic up the pillar is where I was thinking I'd put it too. I am running Nitto TGs (all terrains). I figured the engine noise would be the bigger noise contributor. I'm not planning on wearing MTs on this truck.

I placed my order for the bezel on Feb. 3. I'm hoping to be seeing it soon. I did not get an ETA at the time of order. Since it is a custom order where a part is built to order I'm not going to bug the guy just yet. (I was in the business of building things to order and I know that it takes time). I am itching to get it though, I'd like to get started.

The next thing, the head unit. Apparently we caught the timing just right on Pioneer rolling out their next model so 150s can't be found anywhere. My install guy can't find any from his distributor. We are either going to have to search on our own to bring to him or look at a different model. We'd look at the new equivalent but those come with a larger price tag.

Needless to say we've got some decisions to make. I thought spending $$$ on a nav install would be the fastest & easiest way to spend money on the truck. I'm surprised it is this hard.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:23 AM

From what I recall, the bezel took a little bit longer than I anticipated to get delivered. I think his website indicates a typical time frame for delivery - and I think he typically provides tracking info. If you havent gotten tracking info yet, might be worth asking for that.

Have you checked Amazon.com for the head unit you are looking at? Sometimes they have some of the older units, if that's what you want. Personally, I considered the nav unit, as well as the next unit down which was very similar except no navigation feature. For the huge difference in price, I chose to just get the cheaper head unit and get a Garmin GPS seperate. You can get a good Garmin GPS for a little over $100. So this is just one more option to consider, if you haven't already. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:33 PM

Got an update. The recent winter weather has them behind and also an element in the paint booth has their timeline buggered as well. So, going to be a little longer but they're working to get all orders done. While I'm itching for my new bezel, I understand glitches can pop up. I appreciate the communication though.

Adam, we talked about a stand alone GPS but for my truck permanent and hands free nav was the winner. The bluetooth will help (only have one hand and while driving it hould be on the steering wheel) I admit I never was a nav fan. But it being in the Charger or the last couple years spoiled me a little bit. It was nice to not know where I was going and not be completely lost
Old 04-03-2014, 07:22 AM

Wanted to update so this does fall of the radar. I'm still waiting on the bezel. I emailed Mike on Mar20 and he said they were at the paint shop, some were just finished sprayed and others were in line. So, I'm hoping delivery is near.

Two weeks ago my installer called, he had our 150 head units - sweet. Mine is sitting on the shelf, waiting on on the bezel.

I won't sugar coat it, I am getting antsy. I need to get this install done. I've got some scheduling issues that are beginning to hit the fan.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:29 PM

I got a stock dash bezel for Navigation off e-bay for 100 bucks. Took it to a local gun shop and had it hydro dipped in a camo pattern. Installed a kenwood touchscreen with bluetooth and back up camera
Old 04-07-2014, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by DWG05
I got a stock dash bezel for Navigation off e-bay for 100 bucks. Took it to a local gun shop and had it hydro dipped in a camo pattern. Installed a kenwood touchscreen with bluetooth and back up camera
I saw your pic in the other thread. That came out pretty good!

On the back up cam, where did you place that?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:03 PM

They installed it on the upper license plate mounting holes. I don't really like that. I want to move it to that little section between the bumper and the tailgate.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 AM

Got shipping confirm
Old 04-21-2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by DWG05
They installed it on the upper license plate mounting holes. I don't really like that. I want to move it to that little section between the bumper and the tailgate.
Ah ok. Thanks. Wondered where it does.

Curious if mounting it inset on the tailgate handle is possible. I think I saw that on the newer trucks.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:07 PM

Delivered
Attached Thumbnails Nav install and Weedahoe Bezel-newbezel.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 03:17 PM

Installed. Now how do I work it?

I think I ordered the wrong paint color for the lower trim, but oh well, I'll paint the rest and get darker seat covers when I get a hair up my legg about it. I like the darker gray anyway.

The bezel allows the nav install without a trim ring. In the photo there you can see how well the fit is. My installer mentioned it takes some adjustment of the brackets to get it "just right", but once it was set it was good. The brackets are beefy and they ain't going anywhere.

It is weird not seeing the faux wood anymore. It tricks me into feeling like it is a different truck.

I'm happy to have it finally done. Mike did a good job. There were a few details/nicks that were unforced errors. But when it comes down to it, the man does custom work that I can't do nor is it available anywhere else. Worth the dollar cost in my book. I was happy to pay for the convenience on this, I got what I wanted.

The head unit is very cool. Intuitive to work the simple things- radio, volume, station and map. Simplicity is what a nav should be considering the environment it is used, while diving...ie, driver distraction. Now, connecting/interfacing with the phone and doing all those fine details takes reading the user manual. But that is always the last resort .
Attached Thumbnails Nav install and Weedahoe Bezel-nav1.jpg   Nav install and Weedahoe Bezel-nav3.jpg   Nav install and Weedahoe Bezel-oembez1.jpg   Nav install and Weedahoe Bezel-nav4.jpg   Nav install and Weedahoe Bezel-nav5.jpg  

Last edited by Shorts; 04-29-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added more pics