3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

My first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking My first impressions

My first impressions of this truck can be summed up by one smiley….

Its awesome! There is no drone, no vibration, no nothing! Just the pure sound of a Cummins diesel along with an occasional burst of laughter as I tool down the road in 6th gear! I am very happy with my purchase!!!!!

I reset the mileage on my first trip to work (72 miles one way). When I pulled into the parking lot, it said 19.4 mpg. Not bad! (I know, don't go by this…but it offers an order of magnitude). I varied speed from 55 to 65 with an occasional 70 mph run.

The tranny is a little notchy. I found myself having to think for which gear to be in. I've never had to do this before….been driving manuals for over 14 years now. But this is a diesel and RPM's are different then a gasser. I'm sure the gates will wear in and smooth up as I rack on some miles.

The front suspension and steering is very tight! It feels more like a car then a truck! I took a few turns at a speed I'd normally not do with a truck and was very impressed with how flat it cornered for a 7100 lb truck (and I don't even have training wheels).

The ride is a little choppy at slow speeds with the occasional rear bounce that is prone to pickups with rear leaf springs. It does smooth out on the highway and soaks up the potholes nicely. It seems you feel the little bumps more but don't feel the really large ones. I'm guessing the tire pressure is way up from the factory. I'll check that tonight. I'm not going to load her up anytime soon so I can probably lower the pressure which should smooth out the smaller bumps.

The brakes are incredible! I have 5 toll booths on my way to work and she stops from 65 mph in short order with no fade or pull. I'd say a couple steps above the brakes found on my wife's 2500 Suburban.

I do get a weird smell in the cabin that others have complained about, but that doesn't bother me. I actual find myself breathing in when I smell the rich sweetness of diesel exhaust and outboard 2-cycle exhaust fumes. Call me crazy! However, this does smell like burnt oil or something else. Again….its a truck so I'm not complaining. If you want purified air, get a Mercedes!

The seats are extremely comfortable and fit my fat butt just fine. The adjustable brake/accel/clutch pedals are a plus. Don't know if they are necessary though.

The folding mirrors are pretty cool. I haven't towed anything wide yet so we'll see how handy they are when I pull my boat this summer. I did tilt one out while driving and noticed I would have needed to adjust the mirrors to see correctly. No biggie though as their fully electric.

I usually don't wear my seatbelt when driving, but do when I'm a passenger (don't trust other drivers). If the driver doesn't lock his seatbelt, the truck omits a really loud obnoxious tone which I am going to disable as soon as I get home this evening. It does go away after 2 minutes or so, but is really annoying for the first few minutes.

The cup holders are placed poorly. I have to reach around the shifter every time I go for a sip of my morning Dunkin Donuts crack. A pull-out holder on the center pizza-box size console would be nice. I'll do the McDonalds Super-Size drink holder test this pm. They are adjustable which is a really nice feature.

So that is about it for now. Even though there are a few things I'd change on this truck, they are small and things I can live with. With stuff that counts, like engine, drive train, etc this truck is awesome! I have a grin on my face as I write this. It’s a really nice truck that I'd buy again if I had the choice!

More to come….
Old 04-22-2004, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear about your truck. I feel excatlly the same way you do. When you get a few miles on her I may need you to do a test for me. On my 6 speed, when I accelerate from a stop and take each gear to redline it seems that in 2nd and 3rd the engine is smooth as glass through 2400 RPM, Then gets a little hesitation up to 2800 RPM. That hesitation is assosiated with some smoke. I'm not too worried about it, just wondering if anyone else with a 6 speed is experiencing this.

Again, congratulations on your truck.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:02 AM

Congratulations NJ. We told you it was worth the wait even though yours was rather protracted. Good luck with the new ride. I feel really happy for you!!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:03 AM

I'm guessing the tire pressure is way up from the factory. I'll check that tonight
Mine were low by about 10 lbs.

Anyway, CONGRATS! It's about friggin' time, huh? I had a 6er in my Ford, yes, the first day I drove it, it was a bit awkward, but I got used to it quick. Still miss that a little.........

All your impressions are pretty much mine. I've had mine 3 weeks now, and I'm still like this: every time I drive it. Even had my first close call yesterday (some lady in a Volvo pulling out from the Volve DEALER near where I work, not looking. Saw me at the last second, even though I was watching her the whole time, which is how I avoided her).

You have a VERY long commute. Keep us updated.

Scott
Old 04-22-2004, 08:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Scott I didn't realize you got yours a week before I got mine.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:25 AM

Mike, yes, we took delivery pretty close. Actually, withing a day. I took delivery on 3/31.

You may not have followed the ordering thread, but NJ had been waiting almost as long as me. His truck could've been to the moon and back.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hoot,

Why did you get rid of the Duramax?
Old 04-22-2004, 01:24 PM

NJTackle, I think most of the weird smell is from the paint & other new stuff drying on the Cummins engine...at least it seems to be on mine! (I only smell something while stopped with the outside vent on)
So I just keep my vent set on recycle & don't smell anything except new leather!!!

For the cup holders.... check Geno's Garage for their "cup smoothie", fits on the center console...lots of people seem to love it. (don't have one myself...but maybe someday)

Great truck isn't it?

Defdog2
Old 04-22-2004, 07:46 PM

NJTACKLE;

I agree 100% with you.I have a 5 speed 555,and i am in love with this truck.I have had mine for 2 weeks.I have never driven a diesel before,but always owned at dodge,with a standard clutch.Traded my 97 1500 club cab,and this new truck rules.The shifting is different,and have found my self also searching for gears.My 97 have a 5 speed,and i had no problems burning through the gears.Congrates on the truck,and when you get it up to 80mph and stop on it,don't be scareed when that turbo screams and the power kicks in.It is an awsume feeling,and am just wondering how fast it will go,but don't want to push it to far yet.I think it will pin the odom....Phil
Old 04-22-2004, 07:48 PM

soory,i ment stomp on it not stop...LOL
Old 04-22-2004, 07:59 PM

...took a few photo's this afternoon while she's still in stock form. Already in the works:

- Superlift 4"
- BFG 315's
- Eagle 586 rims
- Dual DPP exhaust
- Dealer Exhaust brake (appt made)
- Center mount CB roof antenna
- Line-X spray in liner

And yes I'm still grinnin'
Old 04-22-2004, 08:34 PM

HOORAAAAYYYYY!!!! Congrats on FINALLY receiving your new present. I agree with all the points in your review. The cupholders could be placed somewhere better but I hardly ever use them so no big deal. For the smell, I just keep mine on recirc. The tranny will loosen up with time. I've accidentally shifted from fifth to fourth instead of sixth (4 times) because I didn't keep enough pressure on it and I forgot where Reverse was at and shifted into 6th instead (1 time). I've got everything down pat now and with 1700 miles on the odo, it's real smooth and easy shifting.

JohnnyH, what's the build date of your engine? Is it possibly one of the affected early ones that needs a reflash? I'll have to check mine for that. Actually, I shift at about 2000 - 2300 rpm. I've never had the rpms higher than 2400.

Like everyone else here says, I get a big smile everytime I look at, sit in, start up, listen to, and drive my truck and my smile just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Sure makes it easy to get up and go to work every morning.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:23 AM

NJ, what a beautiful machine! Worth the wait, right?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:07 AM

Scott...We told him he'd forget about the wait once he got it, didn't we. It is a beautiful truck NJ so enjoy!!!
Old 04-23-2004, 06:27 AM

Thanks guys! And yes you were right. I don't even remember the wait.

It is weird how I jump out of bed now looking forward to my drive to work. I'm sure the novelty will wear off in a few days or so. But for now I love this truck!

Yesterday a guy at work asked me what I liked so much about it. Ironically I really couldn't give him a straight answer. Is it the Cummins diesel?. The sound the turbo makes when it spools up. The 600 ft-lbs of torque that comes on at low RPM's and extends to redline. The smell of diesel fuel. The sound it makes when shifting gears….especially in a parking garage. The fact I can throw all my toys in the back without a worry about payload capacity. The fact I'm getting better mileage then a comparable truck sucking down 93 octane. Maybe just because this truck is me and what I enjoy to drive....some will never understand!

Quick Reply: My first impressions