3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

My First Diesel + ford escape = not good

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, be firm when it comes to getting it fixed. I've been taken by insurance companies a couple of times. Its your truck, and you want it right.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:09 PM

Man that's just ridiculous. I understand legitimate accidents happen, but think of how many of them were preventable because some fool was looking at their phone or fudging with something in their vehicle. The sad thing is that I am sure after an accident that people don't say what they were really doing to cause it. Anyway, do make sure you see exactly what the body shop uses on your truck.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:32 PM

thanks guys ive never been in an accident before so this is kinda a learnin experience.. all i know is my neck and back are pretty sore.. i was lookin back towards the back seat when we were hit .. the driver was probably doing around 70 km/h so i kinda got flung forward and twisted at the same time.. i did have some fun when the cops asked me to drive off the front of the ford kinda relieved some stress as i ripped his bumper off. i absolutly do not want any bondo on my truck. the cab has a good dent in it. below the window there is a seam on the cab its all split open.. oh well.. im glad me and the gf are doing alite just a lil stiff.. going to the doctors tomorrow.. wish me luck
Old 04-01-2007, 11:02 PM

call a lawyer also
Old 04-01-2007, 11:02 PM

Doubt that any insurance company in the world would pay to replace the cab over a dent. It's probably very possible that a good body man can get it out.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by nfsommer
call a lawyer also
yeah, just for your sake. Now I wouldn't go and sue unless the other insurance company does not take care of your repairs and any hospital bills that you might have. I've been sued twice by greedy (women) both suing for money when I know my insurance company took care of them.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by 03qclb5spd
yeah, just for your sake. Now I wouldn't go and sue unless the other insurance company does not take care of your repairs and any hospital bills that you might have. I've been sued twice by greedy (women) both suing for money when I know my insurance company took care of them.
I dont agree, Sue them. The time it takes you to deal with the rehabilitation and the extra work and headaches this will cause you is worth more money than the insurance will pay out IMO. You are the victim here, remember that.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:20 PM

I had some slight soreness for about a day or two after my accidents but it quickly went away. In this case it may be quite beneficial to sue since it was a lot more than just a fender bender. Actually both of my accidents were pretty moderate. 5k damage to my 95 z71 in one, and the other car totaled....the other was in my 99 PSD, and only dented my front bumper, but did 6k to other car. The first accident the driver was operating at night, in the rain without headlights and I crossed a street and never saw her. She sued ME. The second one in my PSD the girl suing me wasn't even driving the car that night, her b/f was and they were street racing and cut me off and jammed the brakes causing me to hit them....once again i'm getting sued. We live in a very greedy, very lawsuit happy world now.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by nfsommer
I dont agree, Sue them. The time it takes you to deal with the rehabilitation and the extra work and headaches this will cause you is worth more money than the insurance will pay out IMO. You are the victim here, remember that.

And people wonder why our insurance rates are so high now!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:15 AM

ahh guy's in Alberta there is a $4000.00 personal injury cap!!! insurance will cover all medical costs, but other than $4k there's no more money to be had in Alberta.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by RunninLean
And people wonder why our insurance rates are so high now!
exactly. Now I understand that there are actually legitimate claims where people do deserve some money for compensation. But to the guys that have a sore butt muscle or something and sue for 75 G's it's clearly an attempt to line their wallet. Then rates go up, people pay more, then get more greedy....vicious circle.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:00 PM

yea my brother in law is a lawyer also.. we called him as soon as we were hit and he came to the scene to make sure everything was documented, so that was kinda a plus, its depressing driving my truck around now all bashed up ..
Old 04-02-2007, 03:38 PM

I don't know if there is any difference in insurance in Canada, but here are a few tips-even though your friend said there was no damage to his truck, have it inspected by an adjuster anyways, because they might find damage that you did not see at first glance, and could be worth a few hundred bones. He could then use the money to buy you a beer and make you feel better. Also check into "diminished value" for your truck, which is the difference between what the truck is worth pre-wreck and what it is worth post wreck-with programs such as carfax, any type of wreck history if you sell the vehicle in the future is going to take some value from you, and the person at fault is responsibe for making you whole again, which includes that value. This has gotten me a $2000 check on a 6 year old Civic that we had a wreck in a few years ago.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:35 PM

Good call on getting your lawyer there for documentation, that always helps along with pictures.

I have to go off-topic for this, and I apologize, I don't intend to hijack this thread but someone mentioned carfax...so here's my deal on them....

As for carfax, they are BS. I think they mislead many people to believe that when they sign up for a history report that they are getting a complete detailed history of the car. Before you pay you can run a vin, but it will only say something like "X amount of records found for vehicle" ....most reports will come up with 2-3 records no matter what...but what most don't know is that the first 2 or 3 are actually records indicating that:
1. the dealer owns the title to the vehicle
2. new owner buys/leases the vehicle
3. title/registration or whatever...etc..
Sometimes it will say that there are 5, 6....10 records and you freak out thinking oh crap, this thing has had all kinds of problems. Come to find out, all of them are likely just exchange of ownership records - a new name on the title.
Wanna know something else? I bet you that most people who paid their hard earned dollars for carfax history reports have viewed a report that led them to believe they are buying an accident free vehicle that has never even had a fender bender....but in truth, the car they think is as good as off the showroom floor minus the miles may actually have been in the shop a few times or several. How do I know this? Experience with past trucks. For instance in jan of 01 I bought a 95 Chevy z71 ext cab from a local car lot here in town. My uncle went with me to look at it since back then I wasn't near as educated as I am now and didn't know what to look for as far as red flags. The owner of the lot showed us the title and my uncle saw that the previous owner coincidentaly was a guy he worked with. He told me to wait on buying it until he could as his friend about the truck. Come to find out his friend, Glenn, said the truck had been involved in a couple of bad collisions and had a cracked frame at the time of sale. I was young and a little stubborn and didn't care and bought it. I also had a pretty good accident in it that did a bit over 5k of damage, plus a few other fender benders. It was a great truck, had it's share of small issues, couple water pumps, intake gasket but it always seemed to have alignment problems.....I sold it in 04 and bought a 99 PSD which I had an accident with in october that year that did 6k of damage to the other car and practically none to me. Long story short, before I bought my Ram I decided to sign up for carfax and check every truck I bought. I must have gotten history reports for at least 75 trucks and NOT ONE of them ever had one indication of an accident or major collision....every record was a title or registration change. I became suspicious and decided to check on both my Chevy and my Ford since I KNEW they both had been involved in Collisions. Well I checked my Ford first and the accident I had in it didn't show up. I figured since I didn't even make a claim on it that it was the reason why. So I checked my Chevy and it had 8 records but when I went to the detailed page there was not one single record indicating a collision or accident. They were all exchange of ownership, the first four were dealer, original owner, owner registration, state title change from when the guy moved from Cali to Indy. Then there was my title and registration, and then the 3rd owner's title and registration. I was pretty shocked, and ticked off to realize that I was one of many who pretty much got ripped off. Bottom line I don't trust carfax and probably never will. Sorry for the long reading....
Old 04-02-2007, 08:58 PM

thats nothing check out my dads truck and they fixed it

Quick Reply: My First Diesel + ford escape = not good